Compare SR22 Auto Insurance Rates and Save $$$'s
SR22 Insurance Quotes

Thread: First Offense OWI--Deferred Judgment-Insurance Stipulations?

drwitts is offline New Member

Default First Offense OWI--Deferred Judgment-Insurance Stipulations?

Follow Drinkdriving.org on:

Follow Drinkdriving.org on Facebook Follow Drinkdriving.org on Google+ Follow Drinkdriving.org on Twitter

Like our Facebook Page

I was recently arrested (May of this year) for Operating While Intoxicated with a BAC of 0.13. I am 22 years and this was also my first offense OWI. I received a deferred judgment with the help of an attorney--this means after my unsupervised probationary period expires (This differs by state/court/case circumstances etc.) and is successfully met, the conviction is wiped clean off my record. This doesn't mean that if I get pulled over again (hopefully never again) for the same offense that it will start over...so I'd be back to my first offense. If that did happen I would receive a 2nd offense OWI and the consequences could possibly be worse since my first was granted a deferred.
    So, why would one want a deferred judgment? First, your fines are greatly reduced (almost in half), you do not need to report to your employer or future employer that you have been convicted of anything greater than simple traffic violations, and the charge is 'essentially' removed from your record once you complete requirements to deferred (i.e. Substance abuse treatment, paying fines, etc)

I would suggest that you hire an attorney or if you cannot afford one--apply for a public defense attorney--there's a good chance that you could be given the same and definitely worth a try--much better chance than appearing in court without representation. Hope this helps, either way I would get in touch with legal resources or to some research online on your options. In my opinion, just appearing in court alone is never a good route. The outcome will be much greater if you seek legal help/do your homework on this. Pays off in the end!
    Last edited by Forum Moderator; 10-10-2012 at 05:53 AM.

drwitts is offline New Member

Default First Offense OWI--Deferred Judgment-Insurance Stipulations?

Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes
    I was granted a deferred judgment on a first offense OWI in Iowa earlier this year. I'm wondering if my insurance will still change (rates go up) with receiving a deferred? My 180 day license suspension will be up the end of November this year--my probation (unsupervised) expires after one year. My BAC level was 0.13 and I'm 22 years old.

Anyone know if I would still need to carry SR-22?
    Any help very appreciated!