FCA Approved Person Application

Convicted Driver Insurance

Razza100

Hi,

I was convicted of drinking driving in December 2008. I had a fine and a ban and completed a rehabilitation course. My conviction is now spent, however, I have to disclose my conviction when applying to the FCA to become an Approved Person.

This was my first and only offence. I have 20 years experience in my profession and no other negative marks against my character or financial situation.

My question is has anyone successfully applied to the FCA to be an Approved Person whilst having to disclose a drink driving conviction?

Many thanks.

Hi,

I was convicted of drinking driving in December 2008. I had a fine and a ban and completed a rehabilitation course. My conviction is now spent, however, I have to disclose my conviction when applying to the FCA to become an Approved Person.

This was my first and only offence. I have 20 years experience in my profession and no other negative marks against my character or financial situation.

My question is has anyone successfully applied to the FCA to be an Approved Person whilst having to disclose a drink driving conviction?

Many thanks.

Hi There,

Not appiled to be an appoved person with FCA. (Therefore, I am unable to offer any personal advice.)

I did have a quick google and found this. Maybe it's of help https://www.fca.org.uk/firms/approved-persons/disclosing-criminal-convictions

However could not find the listed offences under the Rehab of Offenders ask.

Given your clean record apart from the one oopsie, I wouldn't think they are overly worried about that, given finance based - probablaby more worried about fraud, money laundering, other financial crimes etc. Your DD offence may have a small but I would say monir impact.

Hope this is of some use (the link)

Morning

Drink driving is a unique offence because it doesn't reflect on a person's integrity.

When you look at most other criminal offences there is a degree of malicious behaviour. Theft or fraud involves an act of dishonesty and assault often involves deliberate violence towards the victim (it can be reckless though). Harassment involves pursuing a course of conduct where the victim is put in fear (again malicious behaviour). Even offences like public order or breach of the peace, show evidence of volatile, callous behaviour.

Drink driving and most other traffic offences tend to show an element of carelessness or reckless behaviour on the part of the offender, but it does not reflect on their honesty or being suitable for a role where there is a position of trust (where you are book keeping or managing finances).

I don't actually understand the why's and wherefore's of the DBS system. When I apply my own common sense to it, as convicted drink drivers we wouldn't be suitable for professional driving roles while we have a DR10 on our licence. This makes sense for a number of reasons, such as corporate liability.

However, I recently spoke to a chap who is a transport manager for a haulage company. He wasn't allowed to employ a young lad in a desk bound admin role because the lad had an unspent conviction for drink driving. He questioned the rational with the company director, and he was told the conviction wasn't appropriate for a role in the transport industry, even a non driving role. I thought this was crazy!!!!

I am sure, the drink driving conviction will have no relevance to the FCA role. If you have applied for a role as a trustee, the board of directors will usually have a discussion to raise any concerns, but this is merely a formality. It's the same principle for someone applying to work in a school - they usually raise the drink driving conviction with the board of governors to determine if no one objects to the appointment.

If your conviction was for drug driving, this might open a can of worms because drug use implies an addiction and drug addicts tend to steal to fund their 'lifestyle'. As I say drink driving is a completely different affair and one I don't tend to believe bars you from most jobs in society.

I hope I've not ruffled anyone's feathers by having my two pen'ith. Good luck with the application.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off