Help caught with Alcohol

Convicted Driver Insurance

craig121

Established Member
Hi,
I have thrown my life away on a stupid day,
Briefly 3yrs back my HGV was revoked but kept car licence having openly requested help from doc, remained alcohol free for 3 yrs proven with 6 monthly
voluntary checks and a large medical 2 months ago from dvla' with no doubts outcome'
However 8 months back I did start to feel depressed and stressed most likely due to mother diagnosed terminal cancer my partners father whom lives with us and suffers dementia(huge strain)
Having recieved my HGV licence a month ago I had one night of drink whilst on a break before stupidly driving to a remote spot with 5 beers" I consumed 4 down by a river then drank last in car *btls were evident when stopped* I then drove to a supermarket picked up a case intended for home and there was a fastfood outlet within consumed 2 burgers" exited carpark police in wait clearly tipped off and blew 45 roadside then 82 @ station
Can anyone please tell me the implications drinking from within vehicle compared to other, I live in Scotland

Hello again
I should also add when I was stopped I said imediatly I think I will be over!
Am really concerned the Law will look badly as there was proven intent with no real mittagation factors,
I spoke with a Counceller as was really concerned what drove me to such madness after 3 yrs alcohol free, she went into my upbringing and history and stated I most likely have a self distructive disorder the trigger was me being already depressed( was afraid to ask for help) Incase it jeprodised my licence then with the added pressure of getting back behind the wheel I was not ready for this*
Its by no means an excuse its pathetic really but I need help which am currently recieving
Many thanks if you can reply *

There is no actual guidelines on the length of a ban for drink driving for the court to follow in Scotland, but the minimum is !2 months.

i think your best bet is to just admit to a silly mistake on the night and apologise to the court for your behaviour. If you go into details about your history with alcohol then it will not look good for you at all.

At the end of your ban, you will have to apply separately to the Traffic Commissioner for your HGV licence and you may well have difficulty in getting it renewed as you have been found to have a problem with alcohol within a month of getting your HGV licence back.

i am glad you are getting help. When you are depressed, no matter how much of a temporary escape that alcohol provides, it is in itself a depressant and will not provide any useful answers to your problems.

Thank you for the reply )
Unfotunetly I was in such shock I just broke down during police statememt and told them everything my history my role etc
Although I stated my current role incorrectly from what I used to do, My work downgraded me when I lost my HGV and they have been really supportive , but if all this comes out in court including my old role am fairly sure will be sacked for disrepute'
Away to contact a solicitor tomm getting so stressed about the statement=

Good idea re the solicitor, just don't let him get caught up so much in 'mitigation' about your alcohol history that it actually harms you with the outcome. He may need to mitigate about it, but only if it is raised in the outline by the prosecution, quoting things that you said to the police. As I said before, probably best unsaid unless you have to address it.

Thanks so much Price
Spoke with Solicitor yesterday he looked at my charge road traffic act 1988 S6(1) S6(2)S6(6) looked confused and said its normally section 5(but just shrugged it off)
Section 6 normally for refusal of breath test; if I co-operated with breath test why this charge related to me?

Is there just the one charge? S6 relates to failing to supply a roadside test, which is a separate offence in its own right, irrespective of the result of the evidential test at the police station.

Yes there only that charge listed, am confused to whats going on, first time i blew i failed to blow long enough first time in life experiance; second time i blew the machine went of scale 200+ I heard one officer saying something about radio frequency and both shut down there radios# I asked that this got mentioned in report and she agreed to add the info" 3 rd blow was good
and machine registered 45* there was never any caution for refusal as I never tried to refuse"
Is there anything else am missing my Solicitor didnt seem to think there was an issue # very concerned now appreciate all advice#
Should i seek seperate advice ie Free solicitor forum or other

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off