UK driver caught in Ireland

Convicted Driver Insurance

norrie78

I am a UK citizen who has been living in Ireland for the past 12 years and I hold a UK licence. I was arrested for Drink Driving in Ireland in October. When taken to the station to do my breath tests and what not I was asked for my driving licence which I did not have on me. I was told I would need to produce them at my local police station within 10 days or face being charged for not providing my licence. Anyway 10 days went by and I hadn't gone down to the station, and heard nothing about it after. No police came to my house looking for them.

I appeared in court in November but my case was deferred until the 9th January. On the 9th January I was given a 3 year ban, but still hadn't handed over my licence and I haven't been asked for them either. Even at the court no one asked me for anything. And it clearly stated on my statement that I hadn't produced my driving licence. What I want to know is how the Irish authorities are going to contact the DVLA when the only details they have of me is my name and address, they don't have a copy of my driving licence which contains my driving number. I mentioned it to my solicitor and he said, "say nothing".

Is it up to me to notify the DVLA? As I live in Ireland, why would I, although I am banned in Ireland, will I still be able to drive in the UK as the DVLA will have no record of my ban.

Is this a mistake by the police for not chasing it up? And also now that I have appeared in court is it to late for them to do anything about it now?

Thanks

You can expect the court to notify DVLA of your ban. They will have your name and address and date of birth so DVLA will look you up in their records. They should write to you t o confirm your ban and the arrangements for your retest at the end of the ban.
there is a reciprocal arrangement between The Irish Republic, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and Great Britain where we all recognise each other's bans so you are not allowed to drive in any of those areas while your ban is in force..
In theory you have to produce your licence, but in practice people are often in court before the end of the time in which they have to produce, so it gets left. Why bother when there is already a ban for Drink driving.

The authorities in Ireland only have my address in Ireland, I haven't supplied them with my UK address which my licence is held under, I have never supplied my UK address to anyone in Ireland for anything. and I don't intend on doing so either. My UK address is on my licence, but because the police here never took it off me they have no record of where I am from. so how can they contact the DVLA. They don't even know which part of the UK I am from.

Last edited:
You may be right that 'the system' will not have a record of your ban, but you are banned in all the areas that I mentioned. If you do drive it will be as a disqualified driver and any insurance you take out will be fraudulent as you will make a false declaration that you currently hold a licence to drive. I certainly would not advise you doing that. If you get stopped in England and they check you out, the arrest for Drink driving will show up, then a couple of questions and your ban would be discovered.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off