Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes

Convicted Driver Insurance Quoteline
Convicted driver insurance quote line owned and operated by MCE Insurance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling Car - SORN, Insurance etc

sillydan is offline Member

Question Selling Car - SORN, Insurance etc

Follow Drinkdriving.org on:

Follow Drinkdriving.org on Facebook Follow Drinkdriving.org on Google+ Follow Drinkdriving.org on Twitter

Like our Facebook Page

Hello, I was arrested a couple weeks ago and have my court date on 20th December. Expecting a 17-22m ban with 25% off for the course. My own fault and despite the implications I am sure I will get what I deserve following my mistake.

Because of this I will need to sell my car and want to sell privately through autotrader/ebay etc. My issue being, is the car allowed in my parking bay without tax/insurance whilst being sold? Can someone else test drive the car if I am not insured on it (but sat in the car)? Can I get 'sellers insurance' from anywhere purely for this reason? Do I declare SORN?

Car is currently in a designated space at my flat, not public land. Only has a week left of insurance after the court date but expecting this to be invalid once charged. Live by myself with no one else insured on it. Worth around 7k.

Thanks in advance for any tips! I couldn't find any related posts but can't be the only one.

Jetsetter is offline Member

Default Re: Selling Car - SORN, Insurance etc

Hey don't feel bad, we've all been in your position. Bit of a tricky one with the SORN, for it to be legal is has to be kept on private land i.e drive way.

Thanks Jetsetter. As above its in my designated space and I will be selling as soon as possible, the problem I have is that I wouldn't be able to drive someone or let them test drive during my ban. Any ideas please?

Had my court case today, got what I expect 20m ban, 25% off so I will be driving 20th March 2018. 500 fine. Duty solicitor was great and whilst I don't think he really got me a better result, it was much more comfortable because of his help. Lesson learned and time to get on with life.

As such, I still need to sell my car as the above post. Any tips on selling whilst banned would really help me please.

gstanley is offline Member

Hi there, i was in a slightly similar situation when i got caught. My insurance was due to run out a week before i was sentenced. I just phoned my insurer when i got caught to say i don't want to renew, and just let the cover end on the renewal date. If they ask why, just say you'll not be needing a car anymore or something. Perfectly fine.
    If you tell them you want to cancel your policy because of what has happened it could go against you and make it even harder to get insured again in the future.

As for sorn/keeping your car in your space i am not too sure, however if it was me i would leave it taxed for the time being, so that any potential buyers can just insure it temporarily when they take it for a test drive. Either that or you advertise the car and explain that its not taxed/insured so can't be test driven. This will put many buyers off so you'll take a hit on the price i'd expect.

I would guess that as the space is public land you'll be fine to keep it there for the time being. Can't imagine the police driving round doing ANPR checks on parked cars there.

Quote Originally Posted by gstanley View Post
    Hi there, i was in a slightly similar situation when i got caught. My insurance was due to run out a week before i was sentenced. I just phoned my insurer when i got caught to say i don't want to renew, and just let the cover end on the renewal date. If they ask why, just say you'll not be needing a car anymore or something. Perfectly fine.
    If you tell them you want to cancel your policy because of what has happened it could go against you and make it even harder to get insured again in the future.

As for sorn/keeping your car in your space i am not too sure, however if it was me i would leave it taxed for the time being, so that any potential buyers can just insure it temporarily when they take it for a test drive. Either that or you advertise the car and explain that its not taxed/insured so can't be test driven. This will put many buyers off so you'll take a hit on the price i'd expect.

I would guess that as the space is public land you'll be fine to keep it there for the time being. Can't imagine the police driving round doing ANPR checks on parked cars there.
    Thanks Gstanley, that's really helpful. I will leave it taxed and get any buyers to get insured for the day, any companies that will do this for them easily/cheaply that you are aware of please? The space is my personal space for my flat, not by the road, assume this is my space so private land albeit outside the bay would be accessible by public so not private land outside that. As the car is worth around 7k personally I wouldn't buy something for that price so wouldnt assume someone else would even at a significant discount.

price1367 is offline TTC Group Associate Director

I doubt that anyone will be able to get insurance for a day for a car they are just borrowing to try out.
    their insurance will only cover them (if at all) for a vehicle that has third party cover, which yours will not have in a few days.
    i agree with not telling the insurance at this stage, just let it run out. If you tell them they they may void the insurance, which will cause you considerable trouble when you come to be re insured.
    SORN the vehicle, it is OK to be on private property. You will have to do this or face problems over not having insurance 'continuous cover' on the car.
    have you thought of selling the car through a local car auction? They will probably collect it for you. If you speak to them they should give you a guide price for what you can expect to get at auction.....

fordfan83 is offline Member

There are a number of companies that offer 1-30 day short term insurance cover. This would probably be the best best for a potential buyer.

I used such a service when I purchased a car last year and needed insurance to get it home.

price1367 is offline TTC Group Associate Director

That was cover after you have bought it. There are companies that offer short term insurance, but try getting it for a vehicle that you don't own and just want to test drive.....!

Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by price1367 View Post
    I doubt that anyone will be able to get insurance for a day for a car they are just borrowing to try out.
    their insurance will only cover them (if at all) for a vehicle that has third party cover, which yours will not have in a few days.
    i agree with not telling the insurance at this stage, just let it run out. If you tell them they they may void the insurance, which will cause you considerable trouble when you come to be re insured.
    SORN the vehicle, it is OK to be on private property. You will have to do this or face problems over not having insurance 'continuous cover' on the car.
    have you thought of selling the car through a local car auction? They will probably collect it for you. If you speak to them they should give you a guide price for what you can expect to get at auction.....
    Thanks for this, I would LOVE to keep the car if I can as it really is special to me although I think being a big old 3 litre the insurance will be horrific after my ban in 15 months. I told the insurance company yesterday and only just seen this message. They said as there was only a week left that it would just stop from my ban date, I said it made no difference to me but guessing that was a mistake, damn! If I SORN it does it still need to be MOT'd? It has one till July anyway. Will also look into auction too, cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast