Any advice/what can I expect?

Convicted Driver Insurance

chocco

So, Friday night, I went out after work, parked car in nearby car park to the pub, proceeded to have a few pints, few shorts and 1 or 2 shots, went to taxi rank with a mate, freezing, rainy, no taxis for ages, lots of people waiting before us, I stupidly decided to drive instead of a 10 minute walk, caught by officers and charged with driving with excessive alcohol and careless driving, pleaded guilty straight away, done all that was asked, blew 77, spent night in cells in a town 20 odd miles away, was then released at 0950 and had to make my own way back home

Feel horrible about it all, stupid decision, any advice anyone can offer or anyone have any idea what I am likely facing?

Have you actually been charged with careless driving or just Drink driving? (Check the wording on your charge sheet, they will be listed separately) if there are 2 charges, you may be able to 'plea bargain' on the day.

Have you actually been charged with careless driving or just Drink driving? (Check the wording on your charge sheet, they will be listed separately) if there are 2 charges, you may be able to 'plea bargain' on the day.

thanks for the response, will look into this 'plea bargain' stuff, both, s5 and s3 are listed on the sheet

It is fairly straight forward. On the day, you appraoch the prosecutor and say that you are intending to plead not guilty. Say that you want to contest the due care and attention but will admit the Drink driving. What I expect will then happen is that the prosecutor will agree to drop the due care charge because the circumstances will be covered in the Drink Drive case anyway and the magistrates can take your driving into account.
what this does is to make only one conviction that you have to disclose when you come to get insured after your ban is up. Even if you do end up with a conviction for both, the due care and attention will not carry any points on your licence because the disqualification for Drink driving rules them out.
a reading of 77 will attract a ban of 17-22 months, which can be reduced by up to 25% if you complete a drink drive Rehabilitation Course. If the magistrates do not offer for you to attend one, make sure you ask before the case ends, as it cannot be offered afterwards. There will also be a fine, according to your income and a £20 'victim surcharge' (or 10% of your fine, whichever is greater)

Last edited:
If I can make it easy, no chance of a custodial sentence but you're looking at least a 12 month driving ban.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off