DD Course refferal

Convicted Driver Insurance

stubear

I'm due in court in Scotland next Thursday 1st Dec. This is my 2nd appearance. I was given an interim ban on 20th Oct after pleading guilty and case was deffered for background reports.

I should be given my full ban next Thurs and any other punishment.

I'm hopeful that the sheriff will deem me suitable for a DD course and refer me, I originally asked for this in my letter of apology when I pled guilty.

I know its a long shot, but I've seen a DD course that starts on Tuesday 6th December, that I would be able to attend as its my day off.

I think the time constraints for this would be too tight, even though it would be very suitable for me and I'd be able to attend.

Am I right in saying that the sentencing court have to refer me to the course provider, I'm imagining this would be by letter?

Just wondering if anyone on here has experience/knowledge of this ?? and is it as remotely inpossible as I think or if I take details of the course starting then could the court perhaps fax a refferal or something ??

Different courts have different referral methods. Some use a fax (remember them?) some use post but many do an electronic transfer which is quicker. You are right to say that you cannot book a course until you have been referred from the court.
VMLC run the courses in Scotland. It might be worth your while phoning them to see if there are any places on the course starting on the 6th December, but you will also have to attend on the 13th and 20th, it is a course spread over 3 days and you have to attend all 3.
If your case was put off for reports, I presume you will be looking at more than 12 months, so there is no rush to get the course done, generally the date set to complete thee course by is 2 or 3 months before your reduced ban ends.

Was sentenced at court in Scotland today.

Excess whilst in charge, no aggrivating factors other than swerving on road.

Blew 96mcg :(

Was sentenced to:

24 month driving ban

1 year community payback order (1 year social work supervision)

Unfortunately in court there was no mention of the DD course to help reduce the ban, I wanted to ask but was a bit afraid to butt in
on the proceedings. I did ask for it in my letter of apology at first hearing, but there was no mention of it at all so they maybe weren't aware.

When I went to the social work office after court, the woman seemed to reckon they could ask the court to refer me onto a course,

But I didn't seem to think this would be possible, have this ever been heard of??

Or could I phone the court first thing to ask if this was considered or added to my sentence

Or am I basically donald ducked?

Bit gutted as there doesnt seem to be consistencies from court to court, that said I'm no detracting from
my appalling offence, would just have been positive to have something to aim at, and thought I would have been offered as a first offender
but the process just went past so quick, and now I'm deflated that the chance has maybe gone??

Thanks for any advice.

'Donald ducked' sums it up nicely.
The terms of the course is that it has to be offered and accepted on the day. There is no provision to offer it retrospectively. That is not just the court being difficult, it is the legal framework of the course.

Thanks for the reply price.

I'm just feeling a bit sheepish that it all passed and I didn't bring it up again or ask the
solicitor too - I guess even If I had the sheriff may well have rejected it - every court seems to be different I guess.

I know your probably not as familiar with Scotland sentencing, but when I was at social work today the woman who saw
me said they could refer me to a course under my supervision - but I was kinda thinking we were at cross purposes, whilst
I've no doubt they can put me on a course, it probably wont be one that discounts the ban, she maintained it would, but with
the fullness of respect their probably not totally genned up on these thing as not dealing with it every day and was maybe trying to appease me a bit.

Don't worry, when you have got a few more convictions you will get used to the system.... (I don't wish that on you really!)
the course that they are referring to is a 'Drink impaired drivers' course, 15 x 2 hour counselling session for people felt to have a Drink problem. They are useful, but not for what you want as they do not give a reduction in your ban.

Thanks again for the info price.

Yeh I mentioned to the woman that there were courses you could do privately to reduce the ban, she said
why pay when we can provide it, thats when I felt we were at cross purposes and my chance is gone :(

I'm such a tube for not raising my hand and asking for it, I guess I just felt that they would - It seems some courts do it
by default, whilst others arent as familiar and you must need to ask - It was all
done before I knew it and I was back sitting down.

I get what you mean about knowing the processes better, but I do really hope this will be my last and only
experience like this - I would undertake the alcohol councelling if I felt I needed it, but av had one drink post offence and
that was over five weeks ago, this whole experience has put me right off and made me take stock on things, I'll see what
social work say, they might want me to anyway,

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off