scared

Convicted Driver Insurance

penny0805

I was charged with drink driving over a week ago.i had drunk a lot on Saturdaynight and hadn't eaten anything Saturday or Sunday. At lunchtime Sunday I went out in my car.I had only got to the end of my road when I started to feel really faint. I turned onto the next street to loop round and drive back home. The next thing I remember is a couple asking me if I was ok. My car had mounted the small grass verge at the side of the road and the bumper was leaning on a lamppost. No damage to my car or the lamppost but the couple said they had had to jump out of the way. They had called an ambulance who came and said my blood pressure was low but they called the police presumably because they could smell drink. I was breathalysed arrested and spent five hours in a cell. My breath reading was 57.i am in absolute bits and can't eat or sleep. I'm a single parent and am terrified I'll go to prison. I've seen a solicitor who said absolutely not but because the couple had to dodge out of the way there's a tiny chance they could give me something like a curfew.I'm already being treated for depression and recognised some months ago i was suffering from a relapse of alcoholism. I drank in my twenties but was teetotal for 13 years before a job redeployment caused me depression.i am already attending an alcohol help Centre and taking classes on alcohol awareness. Does anybody have any advice. I am literally making myself ill with the fear of court and the guilt. Thanks a lot

Please if anybody could help or offer advice I'd be so grateful. I'm going out of my mind with worry and shame. I can't eat or sleep and it's making me so I'll
Thank you

I was charged with drink driving over a week ago.i had drunk a lot on Saturdaynight and hadn't eaten anything Saturday or Sunday. At lunchtime Sunday I went out in my car.I had only got to the end of my road when I started to feel really faint. I turned onto the next street to loop round and drive back home. The next thing I remember is a couple asking me if I was ok. My car had mounted the small grass verge at the side of the road and the bumper was leaning on a lamppost. No damage to my car or the lamppost but the couple said they had had to jump out of the way. They had called an ambulance who came and said my blood pressure was low but they called the police presumably because they could smell drink. I was breathalysed arrested and spent five hours in a cell. My breath reading was 57.i am in absolute bits and can't eat or sleep. I'm a single parent and am terrified I'll go to prison. I've seen a solicitor who said absolutely not but because the couple had to dodge out of the way there's a tiny chance they could give me something like a curfew.I'm already being treated for depression and recognised some months ago i was suffering from a relapse of alcoholism. I drank in my twenties but was teetotal for 13 years before a job redeployment caused me depression.i am already attending an alcohol help Centre and taking classes on alcohol awareness. Does anybody have any advice. I am literally making myself ill with the fear of court and the guilt. Thanks a lot

Upon a first conviction of driving with excess alcohol and a breath reading of 57, magistrates sentencing guidelines suggest a 12-16 month disqualification from driving and a band C fine.

The fact you were involved in an accident will be seen as an aggravating factor by the courts. The courts can and sometimes do deviate from guidelines due to aggravating factors. If they did deviate from the guidelines in your case, you could possibly see an increase in the length of disqualification imposed and/or some form of community order. You will NOT receive a custodial sentence.

The majority of first time offenders usually benefit from the opportunity to take the drink driving rehabilitation course. Completion of the course awards a reduction on the length of disqualification imposed by up to 25%.

Our guide to appearing at magistrates court for drink driving offences may prove useful to you. Let us know how you get on at court.

Hello penny.

Every couple or months or so I come back on this forum because of how much it helped me when I was in your position, it is a good place to be for information, even just reading other people's experiences somehow helped me sort through it.

I was convicted twice. both In my late teens/ early twenties, and believe me I felt everything your feeling now And regarding the second time probably somewhat worse, but it does get easier. The worry of court, the worry your peers or family may think less of you, I always thought that was worse than anything the courts could do and in someway it was, but at the end of the day life goes on.....what's done is done it can't be changed.

As the mod said you will not go to prison. You will be fined and you will obviously lose your license, then it's done.
You walk out of court. You miss your car for a few weeks then things go back to normal. Memories fade and even the harshest of people forget and it stops being brought up.

You said you have had issues with alcoholism in the past and that's why your story Felt like mine and that's why I wanted to reply.
i'v had issues with alcohol since the very first time I drank at 14. I was suspended from school because of it. Been arrested multiple times because of it. Lost my driving license because of it and almost my job. like you I gave up. It wasn't easy but I done it. Don't let this be the thing that sets you back on that path. A whole lot more people drink drive than are caught. It isn't just you, so don't think your some terrible person. Your not! you made a mistake. Your obviously sorry and wish you could take it back.
When I was convicted the whole thing took around two weeks from crash to court ( I took out a car and a brick wall.....complete write offs) And all I got was a fine and a ban Thus I digress

You said said it was last week....so If it's like mine you will be in court sometime next week.......after that you will get your ban leave court and life will go back to normal....minus the car......The worry Of what will happen will go instantly. The shame and feeling of stupidity takes a little longer but it does go. And as hard as it seems now.....one day it will just be a memory. An event in life that made you stronger.
so for your kids sake, stay off the alcohol. Think as positively as you can Try as hard as you can not to worry
I don't think there bad people just bad decisions.

Best of luck

Do you think it's likely I'll get a community order. I'm a single parent and I work so I'm worried sick. I can't eat or sleep. Even my hairs falling out! I'm getting letters to say I'm attending alcohol counselling and references from other people and have written a letter myself expressing my regret. I can cope with a ban or a fine but i couldn't cope with a tag. I'm so ashamed

Obviously I can't say 100% you won't get a anything like that.

but from what you've said. And in comparison to what I did, especially the second time and what I received. I would say it's unlikely.

I got a three year ban. And a £815 pound fine.

Thank you for replying. I think I'm just getting myself really worked up and anxious. I was already depressed and this has just floored me. I didn't even think i was over the limit when i got in my car. I only drove about 200 yards then just felt dizzy and passed out. Even the solicitor commented that I'm very negative and the chances of a tag or something were tiny. Apparently depends on the mood of the judge. Solicitor said he'd never seen anybody so regretful and ashamed about it. It's two weeks to my Court date. It's dragging and I'm just making myself ill

It's ok and I know the waiting is horrific. But I promise you once it's over it'll go. All I wanted to do was talk about it. And I think I drove other people round the twist. That's why this site was so good for me. Just log in read other people's posts. See what they have been through/ received......some people even post about coming out the other end. It does happen. It's a big weight to have on your head. And if u have issues it just makes them worse. Don't let it beat you.

Thank you. I'm just making myself so ill with panic over it. I'd be so ashamed if I got a tag. I wouldn't dare leave the house. I've hardly slept or eaten since it happened. My solicitor says it depends if you get a grumpy judge andknowing my luck I will. I can see me passing out with panic just going into the court. Do you get to sit next to your solicitor or do you have to stand behind a glass screen or something. I'm so scared

I wouldn't of thought You would get a tag. Have you been in trouble for other things before? I was never an angel, I had more than my fair share of scrapes with the law and tag was never anything that was mentioned to me as far as sentencing goes.
You may possibly get community service that was mentioned as a possible.....but I asked my lawyer to say on my behalf. That I worked full time I have weekend things that keep me busy and whilst I have had scrapes with the police I wouldn't consider myself the type of person who needs supervising round the clock......you made a mistake.
Take them references of previous good character. Dress smart , treat everyone in the court with respect and let them see that your just a woman who mis judged her situation.
Whilst in the eyes of the law drink driving is drink driving. It was the day after. You didn't get in smashed out of your brains. You simply misjudged how much you drank or how long it took to leave your sysem.
unfortunatley you probably will have to sit in the dock on your own. I actually had that swine flu when I was due in court and my solicitor said on my behalf I'm ill would it be possible to sitting on the bench, the magistrate took one look at me and said "nope it's drink driving he goes in the dock"
she was a right grumpy moo and she still didn't give me tag or c.s so don't think all is lost. Show remorse and tell them how it's made you feel and how full of guilt and regret you are
you do know the actuall appearance takes less than 20 minutes if that? Ito be over before its begun and then it's over. Forever

The only other time I've been in trouble was twenty years ago in my youth when I got a conditional discharge for being drunk and incapable. The solicitor said it wouldnt even be mentioned in court. The solicitor only mentioned a tag when I pushed him for worst case scenario. He said because I hit lamppost and two people had to dodge out of way that is an aggravating circumstance. I wouldn't be able to do community service because I work and am single parent. He said a tag was a one in a hundred chance. I can cope with a ban and a fine but I'm just looking on the worst side.

Then you should you will be ok. I know the waiting and not knowin is awful and the only thing you can think of is this.....but in two weeks it will be ok. Don't let it define you. You sound like a woman with a head on your shoulders. Ban and a fine that's all. Even the ban flies by.
Let me no how you get on. you can tell me you was worrying over nothin when it's finished with! :)

For what it's worth, I was involved in an accident on a Motorway which resulted in considerable crash barrier damage and my car being a write off. Luckily (and I stress, luckily!) I did not involve anybody else in my stupidity. At the side of he road I blew 54, but was taken to hospital as a precaution do had blood taken later. Long story short the blood came back under, but a back calculation proved I was over.

the whole sorry affair dragged out for three months from blowing in the machine to being in court, once court was over it was done and dusted - just the awareness course to do, which I found very useful.

I received a 14montj ban, reduced to 10 after the course. Went to court suited and booted with my mrs, reference from work and an aplogwtic letter to the magistrates.

Been back driving for about a month now, and I've all but forgotten about that day many months ago. No point beating yourself up, just move on and keep your chin up.

I can't think about anything else but the court date. I am petrified. I am convinced I'm going to get a tag or go to prison and it's killing me. I Can't believe how stupid I've been and hate myself. I don't know how I'm even going to face the court feeling like this. I keep crying and can't eat. I feel like I've wrecked my life.

I can't think about anything else but the court date. I am petrified. I am convinced I'm going to get a tag or go to prison and it's killing me. I Can't believe how stupid I've been and hate myself. I don't know how I'm even going to face the court feeling like this. I keep crying and can't eat. I feel like I've wrecked my life.

Once court is over with and out of the way you will gradually start to feel better and adjust to living without being able to drive for a while, eventually, one day, this whole situation will be nothing but a fleeting memory.

There is an old saying: "It will if you worry and it will if you don't!". In essence, worrying will not change the outcome of any situation, it will only make you feel worse and is a pointless exercise, although I digress, it is actually easier said than done at times.

Do you think there's any chance I could go to prison. I just keep thinking aboutthe two people who said they had to dodge out of the way when my car mounted the verge. I've only been charged with driving over the limit but am frightened when I get to court they'll change it to dangerous driving or something. I'm terrified

Penny,
you will NOT be going to prison for what you have described to us. They will NOT change it to dangerous driving (that is a series of acts, not a single bad bit of driving) the court will be told about it, and it may well tip your ban to the top end of the sentencing range. You need to focus on what you are going to say to the court, sorting references and not worrying about a prison sentence that will NOT be happening.

I am terrified. I'm going to court on Thursday and I just can't cope. I feel so depressed and anxious. I don't know what I'm going to do. Life just feels hopeless

Have you got someone who can go with you on the day? You mention having a solicitor, so the only thing you will have to say yourself is "yes" to your name and address. Can you get moral support from someone close to you while you wait? ..... And for the umpteenth time on here, you will NOT be going to prison!

Well. Had court today. Twelve month ban reduced to nine with ddr. Fine
And court costs came to 510 pounds which I thought was pretty high considering I earn minimum wage. Just sold car which made me really sad but at least it's over. Now better get used to the bus

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off