Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes
OR
Call Convicted Driver Insurance Quote Line

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: DRINK DRIVING SENTENCES

Drinkdriving.org is offline Site Administrator

Post DRINK DRIVING SENTENCES

This thread has been created in order for you to add details of your drink driving conviction and subsequent sentence. It has been created as a means of a quick and easy look up and comparison for different sentences and intoxication levels.

Simply highlight the text below and press ctrl+c, click 'post reply', then press ctrl+v to paste the text into your reply. Once you have done this, substitute what appears after the bold text with your own replies.

Copy text below

Brief Description of Offence:
    e.g Had a couple of drinks, thought I was ok to drive OR had argument with spouse, stupidly got into the car to drive to a friends etc (keep it brief)

Blood Alcohol Level and Reading Type:
    Breath/Blood/Urine e.g Breath 70ug OR refusal to provide specimen

Mitigating Factors:
    Factors that the sentencing court would look favourable upon. e.g long clean driving record, no previous drink driving / criminal convictions, co-operation with the police, short distance driven, driving due to an emergency etc.

Aggravating Factors:
    Factors that the sentencing court view as making the offence more serious. e.g involved in an accident, police chase, leaving scene of an accident, un co-operative with the police, previous drink driving / criminal convictions etc

Legal Representation at Court?:
    Yes/No

Sentence:
    Length of disqualification, fine and costs amount, community service, electronic tag, probation, prison? e.g 14 month ban, £200 fine, £60 costs, 180 hours community service.

Offered the Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course?:
    Yes/No (if yes do you intend to take and complete the course?)

Sentence Comments:
    Any comments on the sentence given? too lenient, too harsh, what you expected? (keep it brief)

(Emotions when caught drink driving)Please click here to share your emotions and other reactions both before, during and after the event.

jaddyday is offline New Member

Default Re: DRINK DRIVING SENTENCES

I woke up on the day in question still a little drunk from the night before. I drove to my local pub at lunchtime, drank continuously, and used cocaine until about 10pm when I decided to drive into the nearby town. My bar tab suggested that I consumed something in the order of 20 pints of Guinness. I had also taken 3 grams of cocaine throughout the day. I crashed into a parked car attempting to get out of the car park. The police were then called.

The lower of my two readings was 159µg/100ml breath, over four and a half times the legal limit. Fortunately I was not tested for drugs.

Mitigating Factors:
    It was quite clear for the proceeding few years, to everyone except me, that I was an alcoholic, therefore in need of help rather than punishment. The realisation of my situation is the one positive to come out of the whole experience.

Aggravating Factors:
    Obviously the sheer level of intoxication was the main issue, combined with the fact that I crashed into a parked car and had only had a licence for three months.

As a custodial sentence was clearly very likely, I instructed my solicitor to prepare mitigation who in turn instructed a barrister to represent me in court. With a report from a top consultant psychiatrist confirming that I was a chronic alcoholic and unable to stop/control my drinking, mitigation was laid before the court.

Sentence:
    I was sentenced to three months imprisonment, suspended for 12; I was given 12 months probation, a curfew order for three months, a ban of 24 months, a re-test and a fine of £3000. Although not part of the sentence, my own costs were in the region of £4000 making the whole episode very expensive.

I was ordered to attend the probation service "drink impaired drivers" course which runs for 13 weeks and lasts for two and a half hours each week. It was not optional and did not reduce the length of my ban.

Sentence Comments:
    Although fairly harsh I was relieved not to have been sent to prison. As addiction often plays a large part in some drink drive cases there needs to be more help available to those who are not able to access private treatment. I would still be drinking today had I not been able to fund my treatment.

scared is offline Member

Am replying on behalf of my boyfriend who was convicted 4 months ago...

Went to see a friend at the pub who was emmigrating and obviously got carried away but said he felt ok and left for home.

His breath reading was 97.

Mitigating Factors:
    Had no previous convictions, clean licence, was a semi emergency after receiving a call from myself due to feeling very unwell. He assured me he was ok to drive so came to help me.

Aggravating Factors:
    Overtaking an emergency vehicle didn't help! Think the distance he drove went against him also (around 8-10 miles). He was also reported to have been staggering as he left the car to speak to the police.

Yes

Sentence:
    20 month ban (reduced to 15 with the course), £450 fine, £40 victims charge.

Yes - he is attending at the end of the month.

Sentence Comments:
    Definately more leniant than expected with regards to the length of the ban although the fine was a lot higher than expected. Also with solicitors fees and the course fee, it proved to be a very expensive afternoon out for him. I really hope he learns from it.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by scared; 08-04-2009 at 07:38 AM.

frankcb1 is offline New Member

Had a few drinks the night before (didn't stop drinking till 0230)

Blood
    Alcohol Level and Reading Type:

Breath 64ug
    Mitigating Factors:
    long clean licencs admitted offence at first oppertunity
    Aggravating Factors:
    No aggravating factors
    Yes
    Sentence:
    1 Year ban, £270 fine
    Yes, Have already completed the course and will have my ban reduced by 25% meaning my ban will only last 9 months

Sentence Comments:
    Thought the sentance was ok minimum ban and quite low fine

jimbo is offline New Member

Had two large (hime measure) glasses of red plonk on a completely empty stomach. Had been busy all day and no time to eat. Call from wife to say she had been delayed at work and could I go and collect our son from swimming (he is 10 and it was 9 at night in January). Drove a mile and got pulled for defective brake light. The rest is history

Blew 66 at cop shop

Mitigating Factors:
    30 years with a clean licence (no speeding points ever and so on) .

Aggravating Factors:
    None

Yes

Sentence:
    17 months ban reduced by 25% if I attend the course, £200 fine (I think my accountant and solicitor did a good job with the figures) + about £300 solicitors fees. Glad I had him to hold my hand though - made it much easier.

Yes. Volunteered for it. Attending in September (another £159)

Sentence Comments:
    No worse than I expected

(Emotions when caught drink driving)

Shock!! Some GBH of the ear at home didn't help, resigned to my fate now. Shold get my licence back in the new year. Managed perfectly well with public transport, but I work from home, so lucky

benjaminp2187 is offline Member

Had argument with mates, drove off came back 2 mins later to find police there.

breath 96ug

Mitigating Factors:
    No previous offences, complied with police, only minor points for a bald tyre on licence.

Aggravating Factors:
    Staggered as i got out of car and slurred speach.

no

Sentence:
    3 month curfew order, £60 fine and 24 month ban.

Yes intend to take very soon will reduce my ban by 25% to 18 months.

Sentence Comments:
    What i expected, bit harsh with the curfew order though.

Had four glasses of wine with friends at lunchtime. Stopped drinking for an hour then drove thninking I would be ok but wasn/t.

Bagged at roadside and was positive however at station was too panicky and couldn't blow enought into their machine. Wasn't offered a blood test therefore done for failure to provide.

Mitigating Factors:
    Was described as very vocal and cooperative. First offence.

Aggravating Factors:
    I was getting kids from school so this looked very bad.

Yes

Sentence:
    1 1/2 year ban reduced to 13 mths with rehabilitation course. Court costs £350 as plead not guilty several times and fine £150.

Yes
    Sentence Comments:
    I suppose it was a fair sentence.

(Emotions when caught drink driving)(Emotions when caught drink driving)Please click here to share your emotions and other reactions both before, during and after the event.

Jinx is offline New Member

went out for a drink on the friday night, after returning home had a phone call in the early hours from my daughter upset, stupidly got in the car to go to her

Breath 85ug

Mitigating Factors:
    clean driving record, no previous convictions, co-operation with police, the fact that i was trying to get to my daughter who was upset.

Aggravating Factors:
    I hit a parked car, which in turn hit the car next to it, little damage to second car, and hit a wall

Duty Solicitor

Sentence:
    18 month disqualification, £190 fine

yes am intending on doing the course, it will reduce my disqualification by 4 months 2 weeks, making it 13 months and two weeks to go

Sentence Comments:
    i was expecting worse than i got, i'm a new driver had only been driving for 6 months, they didn't say anything about having to re sit my test, just to re apply for my license 56 days before my ban ends, am hoping that i don't have to re sit test, i'm wondering whether a disqualification means points too, if anyone could advise me on this would be greatful

nobody could be more disappointed in myself than i am right now, but feeling better now that i know what i'm facing, won't be doing it again

Jinx

Timbo is offline New Member

Had a couple of arguments after drinking on the night in question stupidly decided to drive out to clear my head realised what i was doing less then 3 miles from home decided to return home as the effects of drinking had begun to take effect stopped by unmarked police car for driving to slowly.

Breath 123 Mg

Mitigating Factors:
    First offence good character references early guilty plea
    letter from Gp

Aggravating Factors:
    previous unaddressed Alcohol problems

Yes

Sentence:
    Length of disqualification, 28 months £85 costs, 180 hours community service.

Yes and intend to take course as ban will be reduced by 7 months

Sentence Comments:
    really the best i could have expected terrified of receiving a custodial sentence which would have resulted in job loss.lesson learned the hard way now need to take advantage of the help and treatment offered.

miss marple is offline Member

Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes
    Following applies not myself, but my 20 year old son.

Had been drinking over several hours at pub with all-day licence. Emerged at 2am with three friends, one of whom was drunk enough to stagger as he walked to car. Failed to notice police car parked nearby. Police waited until the engine was started then stopped son before he pulled away from kerb.

Breath 69ug

Mitigating Factors:
    First offence, cooperative with police. Only intending to drive short distance (less than 1 mile) though this was probably not taken into consideration.

Aggravating Factors:
    Carrying passengers.

Duty solicitor

Sentence:
    18 month ban, £100 fine plus costs.

Yes, taken.

Sentence Comments:
    Ban as expected, fine a lot less. Probably because unemployed and therefore not earning.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast