DVLA Medical, how long until i get my licence back...

Convicted Driver Insurance

Cardizzle

Hello guys, this is my first post here.

I got banned on 4th october 2013, for 18 month but i got 6 month knocked off for a drink drive course so my ban was up on the 4th of october 2014. I have just sent off for my licence today. I didn't give a sample of breathe and wasn't even driving, long story...

Anyway i sent off for my licence today, i rarely drink deffo no problem at all. So not worrying about the medical im fit as a fiddle too...

So how long do you think it will take for me to do the medical and have my licence back? Thank you!

Cardizzle,
there is something that needs clarifying first.
youy say that you got an 18 month ban, reduced to 12 with a DDRS course. this cannot happen. the maximum reduction for a course is 25% so four and a half months. or did you get a 16 month ban, which can be reduced to 12 at 25% ?

Hello guys, this is my first post here.

I got banned on 4th october 2013, for 18 month but i got 6 month knocked off for a drink drive course so my ban was up on the 4th of october 2014. I have just sent off for my licence today. I didn't give a sample of breathe and wasn't even driving, long story...

Anyway i sent off for my licence today, i rarely drink deffo no problem at all. So not worrying about the medical im fit as a fiddle too...

So how long do you think it will take for me to do the medical and have my licence back? Thank you!

Hi it took me 7 weeks all in to get it back couse dvla contacted my GP best of luck rab

Last edited by a moderator:
Cardizzle,
there is something that needs clarifying first.
youy say that you got an 18 month ban, reduced to 12 with a DDRS course. this cannot happen. the maximum reduction for a course is 25% so four and a half months. or did you get a 16 month ban, which can be reduced to 12 at 25% ?

I have had this conversation with my course tutor too, i was given a 18 month ban and the judge agree'd as i needed my licence for my job the course would indeed take 6 months off my driving ban.

The judge cannot do that, nor can magistrates. perhaps he did indeed say that, but he is wrong. The law requires a minimum ban of 12 months for drink driving, and completing the course enables someone to benefit from a 3 month reduction. If the ban is for more than 12 months, then attending the course means a person will benefit by "up to a 25% reduction." Nothing can change that, and DVLA will stick to the law and only allow a maximum of 25%. Their system will not allow for more than 25%.
having said that, it is somewhat academic as you can apply for your licence 3 months before your ban is up, and that will be about 16th November. You could have applied on 16th August to start the process for the medical.

Last edited:
Cardizzle,
Here is the relevant legislation, under The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988. Note it says 'not more than a quarter of the unreduced period" :

34A Reduced disqualification period for attendance on courses

1. This section applies where—
    • a person is convicted of an offence under section 3A (causing death by careless driving when under influence of drink or drugs), 4 (driving or being in charge when under influence of drink or drugs), 5 (driving or being in charge with excess alcohol) or 7 (failing to provide a specimen) of the Road Traffic Act 1988, and
    • the court makes an order [...] disqualifying him for a period of not less than twelve months
  2. Where this section applies, the court may make an order that the period of disqualification imposed [...] shall be reduced if, by a date specified in the order under this section, the offender satisfactorily completes a course approved by the Secretary of State for the purposes of this section and specified in the order.
  3. The reduction made by an order under this section in a period of disqualification imposed [...] shall be a period specified in the order of not less than three months and not more than one quarter of the unreduced period (and accordingly where the period imposed [...] is twelve months, the reduced period shall be nine months).

Im sorry guys but your wrong. I got banned for 18 months on the 3th of october 2013 and my ban expired on the 5th of octobee 2014. I have check with the dvla and also the check your driving licence online also says i was banned and it expires on the dates. It says i can now renew my licence also. I was given a 6 month reduction from 18 to 12 with the course.

There is no point in showing your licence, with a 12 month ban, without showing what you were given originally. I believe it would have been a 16 month ban, not 18 months, reduced to 12 month, so without showing the original order from the court, just showing that you served 12 months would not show that you got 6 months off, that I still maintain cannot happen.
what was your breath reading that you were prosecuted on?
I find it odd that the magistrate felt such sympathy for you that he wanted to give you an excessive discount, whereas he could have simply given you a lesser ban in the first place......

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off