DVLA Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance
I spoke to the DVLA today who informed me they had sent out my HRO medical paperwork on Saturday (13th) which is pretty amazing considering I only posted my application on the 8th.

Over the last week, I have consumed somewhere around 70 units of alcohol (a few crazy binges). I planned to abstain for four weeks, but as I never expected the HRO medical paperwork to have been sent out so quickly, I'm wondering if three weeks will be enough to restore CDT% levels to acceptable levels? I have usually been binging once or twice every week for as long as I can remember (around 6-7 pints each session). So I wonder if there is anyone here with similar drinking habits, or enough medical knowledge, to hazard a guess whether I should be normal after three weeks if I abstain completely from now on?

Thanks

Unless DVLA have changed the rules, when they send details of the medical they ask you to contact the nominated doctor within 6 weeks, so you can allow 4 weeks of sensible drinking before you have the medical. - does their letter indicate a shorter period of time to complete it?
you do have to consider though that the longer you leave the medical, the less time there is for DVLA to complete the process afterwards and return your licence in time for you to drive.
If, however, you were disqualified before June 1st 2013, if there is a delay, you can ask to drive under S88 Road Traffic Act 1988 pending the outcome of the medical. Convictions on or after this date to not attract that option.

Unless DVLA have changed the rules, when they send details of the medical they ask you to contact the nominated doctor within 6 weeks, so you can allow 4 weeks of sensible drinking before you have the medical. - does their letter indicate a shorter period of time to complete it?
you do have to consider though that the longer you leave the medical, the less time there is for DVLA to complete the process afterwards and return your licence in time for you to drive.
If, however, you were disqualified before June 1st 2013, if there is a delay, you can ask to drive under S88 Road Traffic Act 1988 pending the outcome of the medical. Convictions on or after this date to not attract that option.

My ban ended in February this year. I was disqualified way before June 2013, but I don't have a car, nor the urgent need to drive, it's just that I will be out of the country for a couple of weeks towards the end of October, and I am hoping to get the medical done before then, and also get my license before I go (so that I can drive while abroad). Hence I was curious, as I have seen a lot of people on here say they passed even though they were heavy drinkers, but most of them abstained for 5 or more weeks. But other websites have varying information about how long CDT% takes to normalise, ranging from 2 weeks to 12 weeks.

I can see your problem, but even if you get the medical done in 3 weeks,..... and pass..... then it may well be that you do not get your licence back before the end of October. (See on this site under other posts how long DVLA can take to process results after the medical)
Whilst you could ask to be allowed to drive under S88 while this process goes through (make sure you get that in writing) this only extends to driving in the UK and would not count as a driving licence for driving abroad.

Hi i was the same i only did 3 weeks and now DVLA have written to my doctor or so they say not that I have heard anything and its been over 2 weeks! i am on meds for anxiety but they wont tell me why they have written to my doctor so im non the wiser... i still struggle with alcohol and this doesnt help really as its another stresser situation....

Hi i was the same i only did 3 weeks and now DVLA have written to my doctor or so they say not that I have heard anything and its been over 2 weeks! i am on meds for anxiety but they wont tell me why they have written to my doctor so im non the wiser... i still struggle with alcohol and this doesnt help really as its another stresser situation....
I did everything I could and the bloods were still high.. They didn't give you the levels just wrote to my doctor and said need information on binge drinking.. Not like I'm gonna drink drive again.. So I don't know what next

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off