Help! Sell car or declare SORN? Plus, local press

Convicted Driver Insurance

Lifeisover

Can anyone advise please? Should I sell my very old but great car or lumber someone else with it and declare SORN for 2 or 3 years? I have no savings and will probably get a big fine and a sol said maybe prison.

Is there a way to keep yourself out of the press? Pleading with them? It will kill my elderly parents. They will be affected enough when they find out and the punishment should be mine alone. Know it's not like that but if there is anything I can do...

Thank you :(

Can anyone advise please? Should I sell my very old but great car or lumber someone else with it and declare SORN for 2 or 3 years? I have no savings and will probably get a big fine and a sol said maybe prison.

Is there a way to keep yourself out of the press? Pleading with them? It will kill my elderly parents. They will be affected enough when they find out and the punishment should be mine alone. Know it's not like that but if there is anything I can do...

Hi,

It really depends on how much you want to keep your car and the reason to sell, would you regret selling it? Its really your choice.

If its only to pay a fine, you dont need to pay a Court fine in one lump sum. You can ask to make weekly payments with the absolute minimum being £5. Alternatively, if you want to get the fine over and done with then selling may be the right option.

Unfortunately where the press are concerned you have no control on what they news they decide to print. Asking them to not publish any news about you may backfire and get their attention which you certainly do not want. You can only hope that your 'story' is not news worthy enough to print.

Have they been printing names of people arrested for drink driving over Christmas? Many local papers do that.

Its worth enquiring if you can get a named driver on the policy to be allowed to drive and you, excluded from the policy.
Reading up on the internet some insurance policies will allow this for domestic insurance policies.(although most don't, its normally only available. On commercial policies.

With regard to appearing in the local papers, I have seen the round up of the courts section in my local paper occasionally but the week I got my ban the section wasn't there. I suppose its such trivial news they didn't bother printing it. Most people who buy the local rag dont even bother reading that section anyway.

good luck mate

Thank you uklegendman.

If I get to keep my job (ha!) I won't be able to afford public transport plus keeping a car going. Think I've answered my own question. Baby girl goes tomorrow :-(

I was so far over the limit the local papers might have a field day! :) at least though that is a smiley face today thanks to you. Just have to go with it.

Its worth enquiring if you can get a named driver on the policy to be allowed to drive and you, excluded from the policy.
Reading up on the internet some insurance policies will allow this for domestic insurance policies.(although most don't, its normally only available. On commercial policies.

With regard to appearing in the local papers, I have seen the round up of the courts section in my local paper occasionally but the week I got my ban the section wasn't there. I suppose its such trivial news they didn't bother printing it. Most people who buy the local rag dont even bother reading that section anyway.

good luck mate

Hey LifeIsOver,

I would recommend getting rid of the car. I was disqualified for 3 years but having the car sitting at the door was to great a temptation and I ended up driving - got caught driving whilst disqualified and got a further 1 year driving ban (in reality was a further 3 months onto the original ban), got the car impounded and ended up getting it crushed as it was too much money to pay to get it back etc.....

Thank you AndyCabs!

She has just gone and having read your post, I've done the right thing. Think it would have been upsetting and just additional stress to declare SORN for years. She deserves to be driven and loved! Doubt she would run properly after years of just being parked in the open anyway.

Thanks again, hope you're okay now :)

Hey LifeIsOver,

I would recommend getting rid of the car. I was disqualified for 3 years but having the car sitting at the door was to great a temptation and I ended up driving - got caught driving whilst disqualified and got a further 1 year driving ban (in reality was a further 3 months onto the original ban), got the car impounded and ended up getting it crushed as it was too much money to pay to get it back etc.....

Hi there - I've decided to sell my car too - not worth having the temptation

re the press I was really worried about this too but my solicitor says it's highly unlikely - also he says there needs to be some unusual circumstances - I have been scanning the paper and it does seem to be the case - it's either a drink drive with a serious crash or there was one case where someone was driving the wrong way down the motorway - other than that there has been a column in once in the six weeks I have been looking that listed a few standard cases from magistrates court but none of them were for DD. Suppose it depends how much you were over and what were the circumstances and also if you live in a small village where local news is big news?? Nothing is guaranteed but try not to worry too much - I do know how you feel but it doesn't help and it won't change anything. :(

i worried myself to the point where I was ill for the first few weeks waiting for my blood tests - they were positive but I don't know how much yet - I will find out when I'm back at the station on Thursday this week - I reckon I'll be two times over having looked at the calculators - can't believe I naively thought I would be ok to drive as I'd had my last drink a few hours before I drove. I have well and truly learnt my lesson.

When are you in court? I really wish you all the best x

Hi Feather15

Im replying to you in the wrong order! Doh.

I was over by a lot - police couldn't believe it. I have no idea why I even went out in my car. I too have learnt my lesson and shouldn't have drunk anything given the way I was feeling. I do feel life could be over but I also think that if I can just work so I can still live where I am it will eventually be okay. We all mess up sometimes and understandably DD even if no one is harmed, I am now finding out, has unimaginable consequences.

Thank you re the press though they might have a field day re quantity. I am mortified. So is my boss. I think he wants me shot. Literally. And he doesn't know the quantity yet. Dreading work hearing though prison may take care of that.

You must look after yourself. I didn't want to eat for 4 days and on the fifth day my body propelled me out of bed and in to a supermarket for a ready meal.

I was tested on the spot by a breathalyser. So I feel for you having to wait. Magistrates' DD sentencing guidelines are online.

At least come Thursday you'll know what's what. That's the same day I'm in court :) x

Hi there - I've decided to sell my car too - not worth having the temptation

re the press I was really worried about this too but my solicitor says it's highly unlikely - also he says there needs to be some unusual circumstances - I have been scanning the paper and it does seem to be the case - it's either a drink drive with a serious crash or there was one case where someone was driving the wrong way down the motorway - other than that there has been a column in once in the six weeks I have been looking that listed a few standard cases from magistrates court but none of them were for DD. Suppose it depends how much you were over and what were the circumstances and also if you live in a small village where local news is big news?? Nothing is guaranteed but try not to worry too much - I do know how you feel but it doesn't help and it won't change anything. :(

i worried myself to the point where I was ill for the first few weeks waiting for my blood tests - they were positive but I don't know how much yet - I will find out when I'm back at the station on Thursday this week - I reckon I'll be two times over having looked at the calculators - can't believe I naively thought I would be ok to drive as I'd had my last drink a few hours before I drove. I have well and truly learnt my lesson.

When are you in court? I really wish you all the best x

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off