Urine test under the limit

Convicted Driver Insurance

DUI0200

Hello,
I was pulled over by the police a few weeks ago and failed a breath test at about 01:30 (yes I am a silly boy for drink driving but I thought I was under the limit). I was then taken to the police station and about 02:00 blew 43 and then a minute later 42. The police then requested me to provide a urine specimen as it was below 50 and it would take hours for a doctor to get a blood sample from me. Therefore the police took a second sample of urine I provided at about 03:15. Subsequently I then blew again at 03:30 with a level of 33 thus I was bailed and allowed to drive home.
I then took a sample of my urine and did an independent urine analysis and the results came back 89 where any value over 107 is a failure of the legal limit. Therefore the question is what happens now? I have not received a call from the police, although it is still early, can they still charged me? If I have to go to court will this evidence hold up? Please advise.

Thanks in advance for you replies,

DUI0200

Hi,

Your breath tests were discounted the moment a urine sample was taken so the only evidence that matters is the urine test. Providing the Police urine sample also comes back 107 or under you are in the clear and will not be prosecuted. Given the fact that your independent sample came back as 89 I dont think you have anything to worry about.

It can take several weeks for the Police to get their results but you can ring them to enquire.

It is not always as easy as that though.
Some police force areas, (staffordshire for one) when the blood or urine sample comes back under the legal limit, then ask the laboratory to perform a back calculation to see what your reading was when you were driving.
I mention Staffordshire because they routinely do this. In my area, (West Mercia) they would only do this if you were involved in a bad accident and they didn't want you to get off the hook.
You will probably be OK, but just don't go booking your summer driving holiday until you get the all clear from the Police.......

It is not always as easy as that though.
Some police force areas, (staffordshire for one) when the blood or urine sample comes back under the legal limit, then ask the laboratory to perform a back calculation to see what your reading was when you were driving.
I mention Staffordshire because they routinely do this. In my area, (West Mercia) they would only do this if you were involved in a bad accident and they didn't want you to get off the hook.
You will probably be OK, but just don't go booking your summer driving holiday until you get the all clear from the Police.......

Ahh yes I hadnt considered that.

Either way DUI0200 let us know what happens and if the Police do come back with a charge this forum can definitely help you further.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off