11 Year Removal of Convictions from Driving Licence - what are the rules in my case?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Steven9761

I was formally arrested for DD on 14th Feb 2002, but because the Police Surgeon was called to act as a medic in Iraq, it took until 29th November 2003 before I was given an interim ban, and being finally convicted in early 2004.

Given the timescale, am I entitled to request removal of that conviction from the paper copy of my licence 11 years after the formal arrest (removal of offence after 14/2/2013), 11 years after the interim ban was implemented (removal of offence after 29/10/2014), or 11 years after the final sentencing (early 2015)??

I've written to the DVLA, but nobody has offered a definitive answer.

I was formally arrested for DD on 14th Feb 2002, but because the Police Surgeon was called to act as a medic in Iraq, it took until 29th November 2003 before I was given an interim ban, and being finally convicted in early 2004.

Given the timescale, am I entitled to request removal of that conviction from the paper copy of my licence 11 years after the formal arrest (removal of offence after 14/2/2013), 11 years after the interim ban was implemented (removal of offence after 29/10/2014), or 11 years after the final sentencing (early 2015)??

A DR10 endorsement will remain on your driving licence for a period of 11 years from the date you were convicted of the offence. Please see here for more information.

I find it very hard to understand how the court gave you an interim ban before you were convicted, I can only assume you are mixing the convicted date up with the sentencing date. I would imagine you were convicted or pleaded guilty on the day your interim ban started!!! So it will be 11 years from then.

I find it very hard to understand how the court gave you an interim ban before you were convicted, I can only assume you are mixing the convicted date up with the sentencing date. I would imagine you were convicted or pleaded guilty on the day your interim ban started!!! So it will be 11 years from then.

That is the correct answer. To be given an interim Ban you must have pleaded guilty. The only thing the court then has to decide is the length of the ban, so while waiting for further information, they gave you an interim ban, and the clock starts running from then for you having 2 convictions in 10 years to be a high risk offender (in which case it runs until you are caught again, not when you are convicted) and for 11 years to pass before you can clear it off your driving licence.

That is the correct answer. To be given an interim Ban you must have pleaded guilty. The only thing the court then has to decide is the length of the ban, so while waiting for further information, they gave you an interim ban, and the clock starts running from then for you having 2 convictions in 10 years to be a high risk offender (in which case it runs until you are caught again, not when you are convicted) and for 11 years to pass before you can clear it off your driving licence.
Not quite correct, i was given an interim ban after pleading not guilty. my solicitor got that quashed later the same day.

Not quite correct, i was given an interim ban after pleading not guilty. my solicitor got that quashed later the same day.
Europhil,
It is sometimes hard to give a full answer to all circumstances in a forum setting. The answer I gave was the correct one for the circumstances for that person.
The full answer is that in order to be given an interim ban, there must have been a finding of guilt, either by a guilty plea or being found guilty by a court after pleading not guilty. The clock starts running from when the interim ban is given. In your case, if the solicitor had the interim ban lifted, then the clock would start running on the date you were subsequently disqualified when sentenced. You maintained the ability to drive at the front end of the process, but that then meant it was later getting to the end of your ban, and your 10 year qualifying time for a second conviction in 3 years also finished later.
that does suit some people, who need some time to be able to drive for a particular reason at that time, but as I said, it can have repercussions later on.
i have dealt with 2 people in the past month who were caught a second time, only 2 weeks before the 10 years were up. Imagine if they had delayed their ban by a month by getting an interim ban overturned and that now meant they were within the 10 year period. they would feel pretty hacked off. If they had taken the interim ban, the 10 years would have been up, and they would not have been classed as a repeat offender and would only have got a 12 month ban instead of the 3 year minimum.

That's exactly why i pleaded not guilty, it was to give me little time to get my finances in order prior to the inevitable ban.
in my case i stretched it out for just over 12 months.
The plan did backfire at first when they gave me the interim ban.:D

That's exactly why i pleaded not guilty, it was to give me little time to get my finances in order prior to the inevitable ban.
in my case i stretched it out for just over 12 months.
The plan did backfire at first when they gave me the interim ban.:D

I had very similar thoughts but I strung it out for over 12 months because at that time I was drinking so much I thought I would probably be dead before I finished the ban. Sad I know but I am being honest. My licence should of been revoked by DVLA before my conviction or I should of reported my medical problems at that time. But not many alcoholics think of informing DVLA that they are unfit to hold a driving licence.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off