Devastated

Convicted Driver Insurance

yksward

Hi everyone, I've just joined this forum after a family member referred me.

Firstly, I apologise if some of this doesn't make sense, I haven't slept for around 35 hours.

I was caught drink-driving last night at around 1.30am, I breathed 91 on the roadside and I believe the same at the station. Obviously that's near around 3 times over the legal limit so I'll be facing a hefty ban.

I'm 21, I'm currently unemployed and all I had before last night was the freedom of a car and a drivers license. I'm facing court on the 25th of February where I will be accompanied by my friend who was previously convicted of drink driving so she has offered to come with me, which I feel a little more at ease with.

I spent the night in a prison cell and complied the whole duration. I was in there for around 10 hours and was released at around half midday on bail. I've suffered from depression in the past and believe to still be suffering. I made some suicide threats whilst at the station so had Constants PO at my door all night. I suffered extreme panic attacks, tears and restlessness and wouldn't wish being locked up on my worst enemy. It's certainly a lesson in itself.

I've spoken to my friends and family about the consequences and a lot have told me this may be a blessing in disguise once my license is revoked. The reasons being are that I will save money that I don't have. I'm a very sentimental person and have no means of selling my car, but I have thought about putting it out on loan, although not too sure how I will go about this securely and legally. If anyone has any advice on this, please post.

So ultimately I will be saving a lot of money each month. Certainly enough to pay off some of my debts that I owe here and there.

I realise a lot of what I am saying is irrelevant but I would rather write my entire experience and thoughts so that anyone who is ever 'tempted' to commit a drink-driving offence simply because their car is parked outside the pub/house may think again.

I was driving from a pub about a mile down the road to a nightclub with 4 friends in my car, I was pulled over on the road of the nightclub for a 'routine check' and from there was breathalyzed and taken to the station. My car was left on the roadside but my good friends moved it for me this morning. I realise that some of you may question me when I say 'good friends' as those were the friends that allowed me to get in my car, but you must also take in to account that they had all had a drink and did warn me not to drive. Inevitably at the end of the day, it was my own fault.

When I arrived at the pub at the beginning of the evening, I told my friend that I had a vibe that something was going to happen this evening and it did. What's worse is, we had called a cab to the club but because the wait was 20 minutes, we decided we'd walk. However I ended up driving. What I'm so ashamed of is that fate had laid out 3 options for me; and I chose the wrong one and suffered great consequences.

Anyway, now that that's off my chest, I'd like to ask what the court consequences might be? My ban, a custodial sentence fines etc. I have 3 weeks until my hearing and I'm already finding it very hard to stay at ease.

I am so greatly full of remorse, and regret every second. I am however thankful and lucky that it wasn't a lot worse. And although there will be set-backs when the ban is served and finished which may prevent me in getting a job/higher insurance premiums etc, I guess I still have my health and so do all the people who's lives I put at risk. I guess in the grand scheme of things, all this is, is an inconvenience.

I'd like to add one more thing, I believe I have a duty solicitor although further instruction wasn't given to me upon leaving the station today, but will they be in touch with me, or how will it work? I have Aspergers and am wondering whether that will help in my defence? I have also never had any convictions or a criminal record.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Firstly, I apologise if some of this doesn't make sense, I haven't slept for around 35 hours.

I was caught drink-driving last night at around 1.30am, I breathed 91 on the roadside and I believe the same at the station. Obviously that's near around 3 times over the legal limit so I'll be facing a hefty ban.

I'm 21, I'm currently unemployed and all I had before last night was the freedom of a car and a drivers license. I'm facing court on the 25th of February where I will be accompanied by my friend who was previously convicted of drink driving so she has offered to come with me, which I feel a little more at ease with.

I spent the night in a prison cell and complied the whole duration. I was in there for around 10 hours and was released at around half midday on bail. I've suffered from depression in the past and believe to still be suffering. I made some suicide threats whilst at the station so had Constants PO at my door all night. I suffered extreme panic attacks, tears and restlessness and wouldn't wish being locked up on my worst enemy. It's certainly a lesson in itself.

I've spoken to my friends and family about the consequences and a lot have told me this may be a blessing in disguise once my license is revoked. The reasons being are that I will save money that I don't have. I'm a very sentimental person and have no means of selling my car, but I have thought about putting it out on loan, although not too sure how I will go about this securely and legally. If anyone has any advice on this, please post.

So ultimately I will be saving a lot of money each month. Certainly enough to pay off some of my debts that I owe here and there.

I realise a lot of what I am saying is irrelevant but I would rather write my entire experience and thoughts so that anyone who is ever 'tempted' to commit a drink-driving offence simply because their car is parked outside the pub/house may think again.

I was driving from a pub about a mile down the road to a nightclub with 4 friends in my car, I was pulled over on the road of the nightclub for a 'routine check' and from there was breathalyzed and taken to the station. My car was left on the roadside but my good friends moved it for me this morning. I realise that some of you may question me when I say 'good friends' as those were the friends that allowed me to get in my car, but you must also take in to account that they had all had a drink and did warn me not to drive. Inevitably at the end of the day, it was my own fault.

When I arrived at the pub at the beginning of the evening, I told my friend that I had a vibe that something was going to happen this evening and it did. What's worse is, we had called a cab to the club but because the wait was 20 minutes, we decided we'd walk. However I ended up driving. What I'm so ashamed of is that fate had laid out 3 options for me; and I chose the wrong one and suffered great consequences.

Anyway, now that that's off my chest, I'd like to ask what the court consequences might be? My ban, a custodial sentence fines etc. I have 3 weeks until my hearing and I'm already finding it very hard to stay at ease.

I am so greatly full of remorse, and regret every second. I am however thankful and lucky that it wasn't a lot worse. And although there will be set-backs when the ban is served and finished which may prevent me in getting a job/higher insurance premiums etc, I guess I still have my health and so do all the people who's lives I put at risk. I guess in the grand scheme of things, all this is, is an inconvenience.

I'd like to add one more thing, I believe I have a duty solicitor although further instruction wasn't given to me upon leaving the station today, but will they be in touch with me, or how will it work? I have Aspergers and am wondering whether that will help in my defence? I have also never had any convictions or a criminal record.

Thanks

Upon a first conviction of driving with excess alcohol with a breath reading of 91 sentencing guidelines suggest a low to high level community order and a driving disqualification of between 23-28 months. The majority of first time offenders can benefit from the opportunity to complete the drink driving rehabilitation course, upon completion this can reduce any period of disqualification imposed by up to 25%.

As the level of alcohol in your body exceeded 87.5 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath you will be classed as a high risk offender. This means that upon expiration of your driving disqualification you will need to take and pass a DVLA medical before your driving licence will be returned to you.

Our guide to appearing at magistrates court for drink driving offences may prove useful to you. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Hi

I know exactly how you are feeling and all I would suggest for the moment is taking one day at a time.

I was arrested as I was 98 first reading and 106 second reading, and they take your lowest score. I spent the night in the police cell and I sobbed the whole night crying out for my Mum - and I was 34 at the time. It was horrible.

I decided to get a solicitor as, although I had made a stupid and irresponsible mistake, I am not a bad person and wanted to be represented in court. I wrote an apology letter to the person who's car I hit, and also an apology to the police and courts. I also got several character references from my work and a close friend - all of this was submitted to the court.

I went to court with my solicitor and because of the level of reading, I had to go for an interview with a probation officer to determine my suitability for community service, and I went back to court for the second time where I got 24 month ban and £1,000 fine. I agreed to this amount because due to the nature of my work it was deemed against Health & Safety to give me community service. The court made comment that they could see I was very remorseful of what I had done.

The first three to six months were really hard. I cried pretty much all the time and just could not believe how stupid I was to get into my car that night. This isnt about sympathy, its about knowing what you did was wrong. I thank God every day that I was stopped where I was that night, otherwise I could have got onto the dual carriageway and it could have been alot worse for someone else.

My family turned against me for a while which was really hard.

Over time, it does get easier to accept and deal with what you have done. I did the drink driving awareness course which not only gives you the 25% reduction in your ban, but it also gives you the opportunity to meet others in the same situation. People in my group were from all walks of life, and it was almost very theraputic in a way.

Just take one day at a time, and if you can afford a solicitor for court then I would strongly recommend this. Its highly unlikely that you will be given a custodial sentance as the Government cannot afford to keep people like us in prison. You will have either 10 months or a year to pay your ban, and if you can try and pay something the day you go to court. Make sure you hand your driving license in when you go to court. The ban, as a minimum, tend to be one weeks gross wages/benefits.

You will get through this. Once you have court out of the way, you can focus on rebuilding your life. There is more financial penalty as due to the level of your reading you will need to pay more to get your driving licence back, and you will probably need a medical - this is something that I am waiting for.

You will stop beating yourself up in time and it does get easier

I hope that helps

Hi

I know exactly how you are feeling and all I would suggest for the moment is taking one day at a time.

I was arrested as I was 98 first reading and 106 second reading, and they take your lowest score. I spent the night in the police cell and I sobbed the whole night crying out for my Mum - and I was 34 at the time. It was horrible.

I decided to get a solicitor as, although I had made a stupid and irresponsible mistake, I am not a bad person and wanted to be represented in court. I wrote an apology letter to the person who's car I hit, and also an apology to the police and courts. I also got several character references from my work and a close friend - all of this was submitted to the court.

I went to court with my solicitor and because of the level of reading, I had to go for an interview with a probation officer to determine my suitability for community service, and I went back to court for the second time where I got 24 month ban and £1,000 fine. I agreed to this amount because due to the nature of my work it was deemed against Health & Safety to give me community service. The court made comment that they could see I was very remorseful of what I had done.

The first three to six months were really hard. I cried pretty much all the time and just could not believe how stupid I was to get into my car that night. This isnt about sympathy, its about knowing what you did was wrong. I thank God every day that I was stopped where I was that night, otherwise I could have got onto the dual carriageway and it could have been alot worse for someone else.

My family turned against me for a while which was really hard.

Over time, it does get easier to accept and deal with what you have done. I did the drink driving awareness course which not only gives you the 25% reduction in your ban, but it also gives you the opportunity to meet others in the same situation. People in my group were from all walks of life, and it was almost very theraputic in a way.

Just take one day at a time, and if you can afford a solicitor for court then I would strongly recommend this. Its highly unlikely that you will be given a custodial sentance as the Government cannot afford to keep people like us in prison. You will have either 10 months or a year to pay your ban, and if you can try and pay something the day you go to court. Make sure you hand your driving license in when you go to court. The ban, as a minimum, tend to be one weeks gross wages/benefits.

You will get through this. Once you have court out of the way, you can focus on rebuilding your life. There is more financial penalty as due to the level of your reading you will need to pay more to get your driving licence back, and you will probably need a medical - this is something that I am waiting for.

You will stop beating yourself up in time and it does get easier

I hope that helps

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering what I could do prior to my court hearing that will go in my favour?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off