Drink Driving Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

madforit95

Hi All,

Im just wondering whether anyone can help with my enquiry. I got banned for 3years drink driving. Got caught twice in 10years. What does the medical from the dvla involve. i do like a drink and you can understand i havent had a car so ive drank a bit more than normal, about 4pints a night.

SO after reading on a few forums and sites, your not allowed to have any alcohol in your system, when i give a blood test.

Ive started to take milk thistle tablets 300mg, to clean and repair my liver, i couldnt stand not having my licence if i fail my medical.

Im just wondering if anyone can clarify thing s for me.

1. How long do i detox before medical.
2. What does the doctor ask in medical.
3. Does the medical doctor refer to my local doctors notes.
4. how long before i hear anything from this medical.
5. Is it true that if i fail it could be another 6 months before i go for another medical?
6. How long does the ,edical take with the doctor?
7. If i did the aquarius course would i still have to do a medical?

Many thanks

Pete

Hiya I too have got a medical due and am on milk thistle. Mines due 27 May.

I failed my medical on my first attempt after a year ban and had to wait 6 months again with controlled drinking before I could retake. When I retook my medical 6 months later DVLA only gave me my license back for one year. That's where Im at now one year later and having to go for another medical.

When DVLA gave me my license back for a year my ALT was out by 2 points and my gamma was 115. All my other results were ok.

I've been told it different for everyone how quickly their liver results return to normal but I'm drinking much less than I did a year ago and am hoping they will return my license properly now.

The medical takes about 20 mins and just asks you questions bout how much your drinking. Its very basic with a blood and urine test. DVLA write to your doctor usually before your medical.

Hope this helps.

Hiya I too have got a medical due and am on milk thistle. Mines due 27 May.

I failed my medical on my first attempt after a year ban and had to wait 6 months again with controlled drinking before I could retake. When I retook my medical 6 months later DVLA only gave me my license back for one year. That's where Im at now one year later and having to go for another medical.

When DVLA gave me my license back for a year my ALT was out by 2 points and my gamma was 115. All my other results were ok.

I've been told it different for everyone how quickly their liver results return to normal but I'm drinking much less than I did a year ago and am hoping they will return my license properly now.

The medical takes about 20 mins and just asks you questions bout how much your drinking. Its very basic with a blood and urine test. DVLA write to your doctor usually before your medical.

Hope this helps.

I would suggest abstaining from alcohol completely for at least 1 month before the medical and cut down as much as possible for a few months before this. It really does depend on the individual as to how long it takes for the liver to return to normal funcionality.

The medical in this case is primarily to determine if a person is dependant on or misuses alcohol, so there will be questions pertaining to your use of alcohol and also general medical questions and tests in order to determine your overall fitness to drive.

When you undertake the DVLA medical your medical notes from your GP will be available for the DVLA (the doctor acting on behalf of the DVLA) to refer too, if need be, in order to make a decision.

4. how long before i hear anything from this medical

The DVLA aim to make a decision on 88 per cent of cases within 15 working days after receiving all information and blood test results. Blood test results can take a week or so to be processed, so the whole process should usually take no longer than a few weeks if all goes well. However in certain circumstances, further investigations may need to be carried out, usually when alcohol dependency or misuse is uncertain and cannot be corroborated.

5. Is it true that if i fail it could be another 6 months before i go for another medical?

If you fail the DVLA medical it will depend on the results, the doctors recomendation and the DVLA as to when you can re-apply. It could be another 6 months until you can re-apply.

6. How long does the medical take with the doctor?

The medical should take no longer than 30 minutes to complete.

Yes you still need to go for a medical regardless of whether or not you complete the aquarius course. The aquarius course is designed to educate and help reduce the risk of re-offending in the future. It has nothing to do with your fitness to drive as assessed by the DVLA.

Last edited:
Hey people just wanted to share my experience of the drink driving medical.I am not encouraging people to do as I have done just sharing my experience. I drink quite heavily (8 pints 3 times a week). It was my birthday one week before my medical and I had a bottle of wine and a couple of pints. I stayed off the drink and drank loads of water for the week leading up to my medical. I had been taking milk thistle and drinking more water than usual for a couple of month before this. I passed. I was terrified after reading some posts on here how people had stopped upto 3 month before hand. Which I would still reccomend, I may have just been lucky. I would just be sensible and pack it in for a couple of weeks before hand and drink loads of water.
The doctor was ok with me. I went in fresh as a daisy and told her I dont drink much and ive never had problems in the past relating to alcohol (apart from loosing my license). It isnt really trick questions just dont give them any cause for alarm. I gave a blood and urine sample and was questioned for aprox 5 minutes. 3 weeks later my license came in the post. Its entirely up to you what you do but just wanted to share with people my experience. Hope this helps people

hi mickd how long did you stop taking the milk thistle before medical I'm in same postition as you, like a drink etc stopped 3 weeks ago, been taking milk thistle and wheat grass twice aday, drinking loads of coffee and water. working out daily, feel great. feel i should stop taking the milk thistle now with 1 week to go and drink more water to flush my liver. Any ideas anyone or experience to share. especialy those who got licence back

Hi Pete

I too have to take a medical prior to getting my licence back in December and am trying to find out exactly what i need to do.
I've read that you need to abstain from alcohol for 2 months prior to the test, however i've also been in touch with a friend in the medical industry who says this is total bulls**t. See my thread in this forum for what he told me, but it's making me think that realistically if you don't drink for a week or so before the test you should be fine.

I think it is true that you can't take it for 6 months if you fail, so this concerns me a lot!
Also, i've read that you dno't get told if you've passed or not, you just sit and wait and hope that your licence appears in the post!

Hi All,

Im just wondering whether anyone can help with my enquiry. I got banned for 3years drink driving. Got caught twice in 10years. What does the medical from the dvla involve. i do like a drink and you can understand i havent had a car so ive drank a bit more than normal, about 4pints a night.

SO after reading on a few forums and sites, your not allowed to have any alcohol in your system, when i give a blood test.

Ive started to take milk thistle tablets 300mg, to clean and repair my liver, i couldnt stand not having my licence if i fail my medical.

Im just wondering if anyone can clarify thing s for me.

4. how long before i hear anything from this medical.
6. How long does the ,edical take with the doctor?

Many thanks

Pete

I've had a LFT by my docs last oct and they said my liver was fine, so i'm wondering how dvlas and the docs would compare. Also I'm wondering how much the questions the dvla doc will ask willhave an impact on the medical.

I was hoping there are still some people on this forum that could help. I just stumbled along it.

I had my medical on the 2nd of November, I maybe drank 6 pints in the 8 weeks leading up to the medical. Not alot.

I sat the medical and now the dvla have said that they need to speak with my GP for further information. I am not a heavy drinker and I cannot understand why they would do this?

Have I failed the medical?

At the moment I am waiting for the dvla to contact my GP and the waiting is killing me. I thought the medical would be a skoosh as I am a moderate drinker these days.

I have just handed in my notice and I am starting a new role in a new job in January, that is licence dependant. Everything hangs on me getting my licence back otherwise I could find myself with no job.

Can anyone offer advise as to why they would go to my GP and what they would ask?

Hi just to let you know I was banned for two years and and was nearly 3 times over limit when I was caught I have just recently sat medical and surprisingly passed I was convinced I would fail when I read that it can go back a month too see how much you drink I am a relatively heavy drinker in as much as I drink a few pints every night 1 week before my medical I stopped drinking completely as I thought that would be enough and started taking milk thistle tablets but reading about test and speaking to doctor during test I was honest and he said that it would probably not be enough to pass test low and behold 3 weeks later my licence turned up I was over moon needless to say everyone s body is different and my point is that there is no need to panic before medical just cut down drinking before and adstain for as long as you can

Hi guys this isn't about drink driving but drug driving, I was banned for 15months for drug driving I've had my medical 2 weeks ago this Monday I am waiting on the results of my medical and DVLA say they have the results but are waiting on a DVLA doctor to review them it seems to be a slow process and I think I have ****ed up by saying I last took a drug in August time when I told the doctor it was several months ago, I should of just said over a year ago! Are they going to screw me for this? And is this waiting process the usual IT seems to be taking a while and going no where. Up to now it has been a painful process ?

Hi hoping someone can help I failed my medical at the first go as I did not stop or cut down my drinking. After waiting 6 months I re applied for my license stopped my drinking 3 weeks before my medical and now I have received a letter from DVLA saying they need to write to my doctor dose anyone know the reason why is it just because I failed my medical the first time ?

as a high risk offender they look at your medical records for signs of misuse or dependence, that in it self is very blurred definition. seeing as you failed a cdt and/or medical test they may class you as dependant for which you will need 12 months of abstinence.

basically they ask your GP what they know about you regarding alcohol, if you have been to see him about a drink problem within the last 12 months its highly unlikely you will get your licence back. definetly not if its within the last 6 months

I failed my first medical even though I hadn't drank for 7 months and passed the cdt test because I had been treated in hospital for an alcohol related disease. I had to show 12 months of abstinence to get my licence back.

there's many pitfalls in the medical process and the dvla will air on the side of caution if given any doubt.

passing the cdt test is easy enough, stop drinking but your medical records are what they are and that's what they're now looking at.

Last edited:
as a high risk offender they look at your medical records for signs of misuse or dependence, that in it self is very blurred definition. seeing as you failed a cdt and/or medical test they may class you as dependant for which you will need 12 months of abstinence.

basically they ask your GP what they know about you regarding alcohol, if you have been to see him about a drink problem within the last 12 months its highly unlikely you will get your licence back. definetly not if its within the last 6 months

I failed my first medical even though I hadn't drank for 7 months and passed the cdt test because I had been treated in hospital for an alcohol related disease. I had to show 12 months of abstinence to get my licence back.

there's many pitfalls in the medical process and the dvla will air on the side of caution if given any doubt.

passing the cdt test is easy enough, stop drinking but your medical records are what they are and that's what they're now looking at.

HI SPLODGER

are you saying they write to everyone's gp regardless now ????

If your are a high risk offender they'll contact your GP.

For you as a high risk offender and failed a medical most definetly yes.

basically you need your doctor on your side to state the facts in your favour.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off