Do I need to retake my test after my ban?

Convicted Driver Insurance

george07

Hi there. I got a 12 month ban, reducable to 9, in July. I had only been passed 2 months when it happened so obviously within my first 2 years of driving.

Was just wondering if I need to retake my test or do I just get my license straight back? Heard some mixed opinions but was told nothing about needing to retake the test in court, just reapplying for license through DVLA. Also does anyone know if bans put any points on your license etc?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there. I got a 12 month ban, reducable to 9, in July. I had only been passed 2 months when it happened so obviously within my first 2 years of driving.

Was just wondering if I need to retake my test or do I just get my license straight back? Heard some mixed opinions but was told nothing about needing to retake the test in court, just reapplying for license through DVLA. Also does anyone know if bans put any points on your license etc?

Thanks in advance.

Newly qualified drivers who accumulate 6 points or more in their first two years of driving (the probationary period) will have their driving licences automatically revoked by the DVLA until another driving test has been passed under the new drivers act.

Driving disqualifications for driving with excess alcohol do not put any points on your driving licence so unless you were charged with other offences which resulted in you accumulating 6 points or more on your driving licence or the magistrates stipulated you needed to re-sit your driving test then you will be issued with a full driving licence upon application to the DVLA once your ban expired.

Not sure where you were caght but if you were caught in Northern Ireland you do have to retake your Driving Test, even if your ban is reduced after attending a course.

Sorry if not relevant to you but might help someone else...

In Northern Ireland, you have to automatically resit your test if you want your license back. You'll have to fill out the D1 form again, but instead of ticking "1st time provisional", you tick "New License after Disqualification" in the Renewal section. A higher fee applies. Currently its £65 to apply again, but this isnt much more, as normally its £50.
You'll get your provisional within 3 weeks of applying (take your form directly to the DVA office in Coleraine, rather than posting it, as this will speed it up by a few days). When you get your provisional, you can get lessons, or just book your theory straight away. When you pass, book your practical. As far as i know, the fees are the same for the tests, unless you're a High Risk Offender. (you will be a high risk offender if u were charged with having more than 87.5 in your breath, failed to give a specimen, or have been banned twice or more within 10 years). If you're not an HRO, the standard test and test fees apply.
If you were on your R plates when you got banned, then you'll have to serve the remaining period when you get your license back. You wont have to have them up for another full year. I got banned after 4 months of passing, so when i get my license back, i'll have to put my R plates up for 8 months.

Hope this helps someone :)

Also, in England, Scotland and Wales, You do not have to resit your test, unless the judge told you that you had to. Around 8 weeks before your ban is up, the DVLA will send you out a reminder, and an application form. You simply have to re-apply to have your license re-instated. Send off your form, and any appropriate fees to the DVLA, and you should get your full license back in the post. It may come a little early, so if it does, do not drive until your ban is up. Once your ban is up, you can drive again, so long as you are insured.
And no, no points will be added to your license for drink driving, unless your were convicted of something else; speeding, for example. If the judge didnt mention anything about points, then you wont get any points. Your drink driving conviction will be on your license, though.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off