Total confusion...high risk offender trying to get licence back after 3 yr ban

Convicted Driver Insurance

currer bell

Hi everyone,
I'm a high risk offender trying to get my licence back after a three year ban, following a one year ban previously. I filled out the medical questionnaire as honestly as I could - I attend AA and am committed to not drinking as it has caused me so many problems in the past. But I find this hard. I was completely sober for 16 years but relapsed dreadfully ( not making excuses ) when I was diagnosed with CPTSD five years ago - the DVLA has written to me to say that they are writing to my GP but without reason as to why exactly. I am close to my GP due to other medical issues; she is fully aware of my past problems but is extremely supportive of my wish to get driving again. I have been honest with her as to my drink issues in the past and have never had to ask her for any support or treatment due to alcohol issues. I have never needed to be de-toxed or anything like that. What I haven't told her is that I have been struggling recently to remain completely sober: at least two or three times a week I drink two miniature bottles of wine. I never get drunk or exceed this self-imposed limit but on certain days my anxiety tips me over. I feel terribly dishonest about this as my intention is to be completely abstinent.
I haven't yet been asked to attend a medical but I assume that will follow my GP's response to the DVLA's questions.
What should I expect at the medical? Does anyone out there relate?
Thank you,
CB

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

For your medical you will ikely have an examination and you will have a blood test to check for CDT levels which will give indications towards your alcohol intake for the month previous. You will also have to fill in a questionnaire regarding your drinking/drug habits and based on the results from all of these your GP will be contacted.
From what I understand (I'm yet to have my medical next week but have read a bit about it) you may be issued a one year license if you score in the amber zone for your CDT and your GP is contacted, this of course is based on what your gp says about your drinking habits and whether you are dependent or not.
It's all a bit of a minefield really!!

Good luck x

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off