6% CDT - seeking advice

Convicted Driver Insurance

Blair74

Hello all - I'm new... :)
To cut a long story short I failed my DVLA CDT blood test reading a whopping 6% last December. :(

(I'm 43 and had always been a moderately heavy drinker, I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hips three years ago and while waiting for my operation I was unable to continue working and hit the booze even harder.)

I decided two days ago (Monday 3rd July) enough was enough and I need to get my licence back.

I've been reading so many conflicting studies and reports online about the half life of CDT readings with abstinence being required from anywhere between 2 weeks and 12 months for levels to return to "normal" in the eyes of the DVLA.

I was wondering if anyone has been at a 6% level themselves or can advise me what the actual timeframe would be before I send off my D1 form again (which then will only provide me with a 6 week timeframe to have my levels come back to normal).

It's all so confusing... ANY personal experiences or pointers to relevant studies would be most welcome... in the meantime, I'm taking comfort and strength from reading the posts in here.

Thanks in advance... x

Well! If your still drinking the same as when you failed your CDT test last time I suggest you cut down your units by 90% give it a month and take a medicheck CDT test.

see what your results are and take it from there.

you need to be very honest with yourself as you were banned for a reason and it seems you haven't started to adress that issue yet......all the best

I have cut down considerably since my results last December, but I'm sure four bottles of wine over the course of a week is still WAY too much...

However, as of Monday I have vowed to abstain completely until I get my licence back. Day 3 now. Small steps, taking it a day at a time and all that.

Thank you for your reply...
X

Set your self a target of not drinking for a month and order a CDT test kit and see how your results have improved...you need to give yourself some incentive to keep yourself of that booze!

What you have to remember is you are most likely classed as dependant which requires 12months abstinence, best documented by your GP. before they will consider giving you your licence back.

Hello,

6% CDT is an automatic fail and therefore you need to be abstinent from alcohol for 12 months before you can reapply for your licence.

You failed your medical in December so technically you could reapply in October as you can reapply 8 weeks before the 12 months is up. However you have not been abstinent since then, so you need to contact your GP and tell them you have been abstinent from July. You can then reapply next May. DVLA will contact your GP to confirm you have been abstinent for 12 months and you will have another CDT test which needs to be below 2.2% to pass.

CDT is a test for alcohol in blood so the only way you will pass is to abstain for at least 6 weeks to ensure the green light.

I feel your pain, because I failed and had to wait 12 months and it's a nightmare.

I wish you all the best with beating the booze and getting mobile again. You can do it!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off