Advice needed

Convicted Driver Insurance

pandanic123

Long story short, I myself have never drove drunk or been convicted of anything drink driving related but I am at a loss and I really need some advice. My brother is 22 and is a serial drunk driver. He got away with it for a good 2 years, but he is also aggressive and violent and he has been arrested dozens of times in the last year alone for domestic offences (none of which he was convicted for). My mum and dad live separately, and at the time my brother was living with his girlfriend, was constantly skint and asking to borrow money of my parents. pretty much once a week we were calling the police at my mums house due to abusive behaviour if he was told he cannot have money.

About 2 months ago when my brother kicked off again the police came, arrested him as usual and took him away. They increased something on the system to 'dangerous' and as they were aware he was drunk that night they would pick it up on a system if he drives by ?? I'm not so sure on how it works. His girlfriend at the time would not make a statement against him for drink driving so they wouldn't charge him.
About a week later he was caught drunk driving, over the limit etc but got to keep his licence until his court date. Obviously he got caught again the next week, he refused a breath test and then had blood taken. still got to keep his licence. At his court date for the first offence he was only given a 6 week ban??? Not sure about any fine? I thought this would have been interim while they are still investigating the second offence but fast forward 6 weeks and he has already got his licence bacck!! In the last 6 weeks he has again been arrested multiple times for his violent behaviour and nothing seems to happen. I have made statement after statement and he gets away with it. Today he even laughed in my face about it. I just worry that next time he gets in a car he will kill someone or himself.

Can anyone give me some advice as to what has happened? He is a pathological liar so no one really knows if he has another court date or not but i just thought it was taken much more seriously than a 6 week ban. Feels like a slap on the wrist and he will most definitely do it again.
Thank you in advance

Hello,

I am a convicted drink driver, so I am only speaking from my own knowledge and understanding from both experience and the course I took as part of my rehabilitation. The solicitors who frequent this forum will know A LOT MORE.

I am going to be brutally honest, your brother is in trouble.

Every person arrested for drink driving gets to keep their license until their court case.... After all, they're not guilty until they are proven guilty, but unless you have a **** hot solicitor with some seriously good moves, you ain't getting off.

It sounds like either a mistake has been made, or something has not been communicated to him. The ban for a first time offender is usually in-line with the guidelines (i.e. 12 months for someone just over the limit) with time being added and reduced based on mitigating and aggravating factors.

There is no way he was given a 6 week ban, so either something has not been communicated to your brother or he is mistaken. What probably happened, and this is only my limited understanding, is the CPS is building a multiple case and therefore informed the courts that your brother is a potential risk. The 6 week ban was simply a deterrent to prevent him driving before his big day... (Sorry, that might come across harsh) I would imagine it is possible for those bans to easily lapse though, but trust me, the system hasn't forgotten about him.

If he's been arrested once, and then arrested again, this immediately puts him in the HRO bracket (High Risk Offender). Guaranteed minimum 3 year ban, and with the various aggravating factors such as violence and arrests, he could be looking at jail time at this point.

As I said, a solicitor will come along and give better knowledge, but right now, if I was him, I'd be getting an expensive solicitor and preparing a mitigation. Hope your brother has some good deeds in his past that he can call on.

Anonymous90 is right, something does not add up.
are you sure he has got his licence back and he is not just saying he has... ? It has to be a minimum 12 month ban for Drink driving unless 'special reasons' are found, but only for that actual journey he was undertaking at that time. From what you have said, I doubt that this applies.

That's a good point made by price. If he's drink driving without a license (therefore no insurance) and he gets caught, it will get serious.

or kills someone...I think you need to have a serious chat with the police for everyone's interest.

or kills someone...I think you need to have a serious chat with the police for everyone's interest.
Well yes but it's easier to tell someone to 'grass' on their brother than actually do it.

But agreed. He's a danger to himself, and everyone else.

I can only say my opinion and your brother is in trouble. I got in the car over the limit because I realised I didn't have anything in for my kids tea it was stupid but I travelled 7 miles for a chicken! Heavily depressed at the time I didn't quite understand my actions but I do now and I'm totally ashamed. Please got him some help ?? We hear from you soon

Well yes but it's easier to tell someone to 'grass' on their brother than actually do it.

But agreed. He's a danger to himself, and everyone else.

Truth is from what you have said you know you don't have any other options. He's in no fit state to make any rational descisions for his own safety let alone for any one else's.

It's tuff love and he needs it.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off