Diabeties and the CDT Test

Convicted Driver Insurance

raffi'smum

Ok, so I've read various threads about the CDT test and the best way to pass it, abstinence etc but what if you have Type 1 Diabetes. Will this affect the result as I've read it can change the different markers that the blood test uses. Anyone out there know any more?

By the way, reading through some of the treads, where some have mentioned talking to your GP as a useful source of information, my GP told me he didn't even know what the blood test was for even though he is a registered DVLA doctor... I've found out more information from the internet and sites like this then my GP seems capable of telling me.

Ok, so I've read various threads about the CDT test and the best way to pass it, abstinence etc but what if you have Type 1 Diabetes. Will this affect the result as I've read it can change the different markers that the blood test uses. Anyone out there know any more?

By the way, reading through some of the treads, where some have mentioned talking to your GP as a useful source of information, my GP told me he didn't even know what the blood test was for even though he is a registered DVLA doctor... I've found out more information from the internet and sites like this then my GP seems capable of telling me.

As far as I know, diabetes does not produce false positives on the CDT test. You may find this and this useful.

According to the first article, one of the blood markers the DVLA did test for in the past, GGT (gamma glutamyl transpeptidase a.k.a. γ-glutamyl transferase) could be increased by fatty liver due to diabetes, however the DVLA now use the CDT test.

In any case, if you take a look at Assessing fitness to drive - a guide for medical professionals, it states that alcohol misuse can be detected by medical enquiries and/or evidence of otherwise unexplained abnormal blood markers.

If your doctor is a registered DVLA appointed doctor and doesn't know what a CDT blood test is, it sounds like he hasn't performed a DVLA medical for a while.

Agreed, CDT has been the standard test for 2 years now, so the doctor should be aware of this.
On the form that is filled in, you are asked about medical issues so diabetes will be taken into account when interpreting the results but I also am not aware of any effect that diabetes, type 1 or 2, has on CDT.

I agree with both of the answers above. From what I've read, CDT is not affected by diabetes, type 1 or 2. In fact the change to CDT was because it was felt to be more reliable and not affected by underlying conditions such as diabetes. And, again, the medical questionnaire would highlight your diabetes, so that it may taken into consideration when assessing your case.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off