Very worried

Convicted Driver Insurance

Fedup

I have my medical in 3 weeks time giving me a total of 24 days total abstinence. For the past 6 weeks I have drank but not every day and not to huge excess. Last drink was on the 29/8/16 and I had 4 cans of Stella and a bottle of bulmers cider and 4 cans of Stella spread over 2 days the week before. I also had 7 days of abstinence about 6 weeks ago. If I fail this dam blood test I will lose my job and probably my home. I need some assurance that I will pass. Worried sick. I have a medichecks blood test which I will do on Monday so I suppose that will answer my question for me. In hindsight I sholud have booked the medical later.

I have my medical in 3 weeks time giving me a total of 24 days total abstinence. For the past 6 weeks I have drank but not every day and not to huge excess. Last drink was on the 29/8/16 and I had 4 cans of Stella and a bottle of bulmers cider and 4 cans of Stella spread over 2 days the week before. I also had 7 days of abstinence about 6 weeks ago. If I fail this dam blood test I will lose my job and probably my home. I need some assurance that I will pass. Worried sick. I have a medichecks blood test which I will do on Monday so I suppose that will answer my question for me. In hindsight I sholud have booked the medical later.

It is possible to produce a satisfactorily low CDT reading with 24 days abstinence. I produced a reading of 1.0% after 23 days and I was consistently drinking 8-10 units daily prior to that.

However everyone is different, some tee-totallers might produce a higher reading than mine! And inversely, some people can drink a lot more me and still produce a lower CDT reading. So it's very difficult to accurately predict what your result will be and you'll just end up making yourself crazy trying to do so!

Just make sure that you do not drink any alcohol between now and your medical exam. There's not much you can do otherwise. I've written elsewhere about the supplements that I took and the diet and exercise regimen that I followed, if you're interested. However there's no empirical evidence to suggest that anything that I tried actually made any difference. My thoughts were that if my body were running at optimum efficiency then it may make a difference to the rate at which CDT was depleted and replaced with regular transferrin...even if by a couple of days.

So I think you have a good chance of being ok. Not just based on my experience but on the experience of others who have had very similar abstention periods!!

Stay dry and GOOD LUCK!! ??? ????

Thank you for your help, can I ask how long you were drinking 8-10 units a day?

A long time. It's important to remember that CDT levels aren't really affected by how much you drank 6 months ago or even 4 months ago. The relatively short half-life of CDT means that it is depleted and replaced by regular transferrin in a much shorter time frame than the time it takes for the liver to recover and for the abnormal levels looked for in lft's (lfts's were the tests previously used by DVLA to test for excessive alcohol consumption) to return to normal.

Last edited:
So, even though I was drinking quite heavily up to 7 weeks ago that doesn't really matter then? It what I have drank or not drank recently that counts?

So, even though I was drinking quite heavily up to 7 weeks ago that doesn't really matter then? It what I have drank or not drank recently that counts?

It depends on what your consumption was in the intervening 7 weeks. If you have drastically cut back then your CDT would have started to fall significantly and a 24 day total abstention now, or starting last weekend, will most likely see you ok.

It's generally considered that a daily consumption of around 50g, or less, of alcohol will not radically affect your CDT. That's equivalent to about 5/6 units a day. That's about 2 pints of Fosters, 2 medium (175ml) glasses of average strength wine or 2 pints of Courage Best. However, I think it best to go for total abstention rather than risk it for the sake of a few pints of Carling!!
Binges have been reported to make a difference so don't go saving up your weekly 'allowance' to have in one night!

Basically, even if you were drinking heavily up until 7 weeks ago but then drastically cut back, your CDT would have started to fall. Make sure that you drink NO alcohol between now and until your medical and you should be ok.

It is possible to get a home CDT test done. A company called Medichecks, who advertise on here, charge £79 for a finger prick test that they turnaround in 5 days. I've not used them but they seem to be reliable and pretty accurate. Personally I think it may be a waste of money for you but it might help to reduce your anxiety, so that would be worth 80 quid, but there's little you could do even if the result were to come in high. It's the sort of test I would suggest to someone before they sent in their application.

Last edited:
Six days dry now I have sent of my medichecks sample this morning, it may ease my anxiety as you say, or make it worse depending on the results. I fully intend not to touch a drop of alcohol until after the medical and have been taking milk thistle for two months as well as eating a decent diet and drinking as much water as I can.

Thank you you again for you help.

Six days dry now I have sent of my medichecks sample this morning, it may ease my anxiety as you say, or make it worse depending on the results. I fully intend not to touch a drop of alcohol until after the medical and have been taking milk thistle for two months as well as eating a decent diet and drinking as much water as I can.

Thank you you again for you help.

You're essentially doing what I did with supplements, diet and water. I think you'll be ok. Let us know what result you get from medichecks.
Good luck!

Medichecks results just came through. 0.9 % very happy with 15 days until the official test.

Medichecks results just came through. 0.9 % very happy with 15 days until the official test.

Excellent result. Just avoid the temptation to have a tipple because you got a low result!!
It would be awful to have come so far and then fall at the last hurdle.. Good luck!
???

Thank you for your help and encouragement, I fully intend to stay away from alcohol until after the next blood test and maybe even longer. I will be glad to get it over with and see an end to this whole sorry affair. I wasn't actually convicted of an offence and may post more on this once it is over.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off