Help plz hro medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

nicky666

Hi i have a few questions....
I am clased as a high risk offender for failing to provide about 4 years ago now i need to get my licence back....
I understand what the test involves just need some advise

Since tje 19th june i stopped drinking alltogether...

Stupidly on the 14th of ths month i had a drink... quite a big drink

10 cans of fosters
2 shots of rum
2 pints of stella

Privious to the 19th june i was drinking about 6 cans a day every day...

What are the chances of me passing the medical?

I have not yet applied for my licence yet but really do need to soon....
Thanks in advance

Hi i have a few questions....
I am clased as a high risk offender for failing to provide about 4 years ago now i need to get my licence back....
I understand what the test involves just need some advise

Since tje 19th june i stopped drinking alltogether...

Stupidly on the 14th of ths month i had a drink... quite a big drink

10 cans of fosters
2 shots of rum
2 pints of stella

Privious to the 19th june i was drinking about 6 cans a day every day...

What are the chances of me passing the medical?

I have not yet applied for my licence yet but really do need to soon....
Thanks in advance

Hi.
You will be fine with 4 or more weeks abstinence. I was drinking 8-10 units a day (64-80g of alcohol), everyday. I had 23 days dry and got a result of 1.0%. However, I was very worried and because every BODY is different, I wouldn't advise anyone to go with less than 4 weeks abstinence.
If you haven't applied yet, I would say you have an excellent chance of being successful! With regard to timescales, if you sent your application in on Monday 22nd August, DVLA would take about 10 days to write back to you. You can expect about a two week turnaround by the time you get your letter, inviting you to attend a medical.

(NOTE: You have 6 weeks from DATE of their letter. Not 6 weeks from the date that you receive it. This not printed anywhere and I think it's important for applicants to know, hence I repeat it on here, a lot!!)

So let's say that the date on the letter is 1st September. 6 weeks would take you up to the 13th October. Even if the only appointment the doctor had available was in the middle of that time frame, let's say Monday 19th September, you would have had 36 days abstinence. Realistically, the surgery/clinic is more likely to have availability towards the end of your window so it's likely that you'll end up with a 6 or 7 week abstinence period. My advice, call the surgery as soon as possible to get the best choice of available appointment times. I called the day I received my letter and they had all my details and what was required of me. Don't worry about the "allow at least 4 days before contacting the surgery". If they don't know who you are, you can always call back the next day!

Finally, do not be tempted to drink again before your medical!! You managed 8 weeks on the wagon before August 14th, you can do this!!

Hi.
You will be fine with 4 or more weeks abstinence. I was drinking 8-10 units a day (64-80g of alcohol), everyday. I had 23 days dry and got a result of 1.0%. However, I was very worried and because every BODY is different, I wouldn't advise anyone to go with less than 4 weeks abstinence.
If you haven't applied yet, I would say you have an excellent chance of being successful! With regard to timescales, if you sent your application in on Monday 22nd August, DVLA would take about 10 days to write back to you. You can expect about a two week turnaround by the time you get your letter, inviting you to attend a medical.

(NOTE: You have 6 weeks from DATE of their letter. Not 6 weeks from the date that you receive it. This not printed anywhere and I think it's important for applicants to know, hence I repeat it on here, a lot!!)

So let's say that the date on the letter is 1st September. 6 weeks would take you up to the 13th October. Even if the only appointment the doctor had available was in the middle of that time frame, let's say Monday 19th September, you would have had 36 days abstinence. Realistically, the surgery/clinic is more likely to have availability towards the end of your window so it's likely that you'll end up with a 6 or 7 week abstinence period. My advice, call the surgery as soon as possible to get the best choice of available appointment times. I called the day I received my letter and they had all my details and what was required of me. Don't worry about the "allow at least 4 days before contacting the surgery". If they don't know who you are, you can always call back the next day!

Finally, do not be tempted to drink again before your medical!! You managed 8 weeks on the wagon before August 14th, you can do this!!

thanks for the advise, i will apply monday the 22nd just got a bit worried because of that drink on the 14th

Shouldaknownbetter has summarised your position well, the one off binge may have raised your CDT, but only for 10-14 days.
just remember when you get your licence back that a binge like that would mean no driving for the whole of the next day, not just the morning!

just posting an update....

have not received the letter inviting me to the medical yet, expect it will arrive in the next few days.... have not touched 1 drop since that mistake on the 14th cant wait to receive that letter :)

i will keep this post updated just so anyone else in my position can have the same advise

thanks all.....

just posting an update....

have not received the letter inviting me to the medical yet, expect it will arrive in the next few days.... have not touched 1 drop since that mistake on the 14th cant wait to receive that letter :)

i will keep this post updated just so anyone else in my position can have the same advise

thanks all.....

When did you mail your application form and cheque/payment?

i sent the application in on the 22nd, i am a bit worried as the lady on the phone told me i did not need to send any I.D or photos with the application? any idea if thats true?

If that's what you have been told, I'm sure you're ok in that regard. I had to send a new photo because the previous one would have expired so it depends on how recent your previous license and photo was. Everyone has to renew their license and photo every 10 years...if that makes sense?

If that's what you have been told, I'm sure you're ok in that regard. I had to send a new photo because the previous one would have expired so it depends on how recent your previous license and photo was. Everyone has to renew their license and photo every 10 years...if that makes sense?

Had the letter off the DVLA today.... Advising me to go to the medical, The letter is dated the 26/08/16 phoned the doctor today 02/09... They told me they had not received my details yet and to try again next week! Hope i can get a appointment within the 6 week time limit...

again i will keep this thread updated for everyone.

Had the letter off the DVLA today.... Advising me to go to the medical, The letter is dated the 26/08/16 phoned the doctor today 02/09... They told me they had not received my details yet and to try again next week! Hope i can get a appointment within the 6 week time limit...

again i will keep this thread updated for everyone.

Sounds like your letter got held up in Bank Holiday delays, as did the info for the doctor's office, but don't panic. It is possible to speak to dvla and get an 'extension' if you can't be seen by the doctor in that timeframe. Stay calm and call again on Monday

Sounds like your letter got held up in Bank Holiday delays, as did the info for the doctor's office, but don't panic. It is possible to speak to dvla and get an 'extension' if you can't be seen by the doctor in that timeframe. Stay calm and call again on Monday

phoned the doctors yesterday (05/09/2016) still no letter! so i phoned the dvla and they said they would fax the paperwork over and told me to try again in 2 hours...
called them 2 hours later and they have the paperwork :) asked to book an appointment and they said they cant give me an appointment till the paperwork has been prossesed... so told me to ring back the next day.... phoned today and told it have not yet been processed and told to phone back on friday.

phoned the doctors yesterday (05/09/2016) still no letter! so i phoned the dvla and they said they would fax the paperwork over and told me to try again in 2 hours...
called them 2 hours later and they have the paperwork :) asked to book an appointment and they said they cant give me an appointment till the paperwork has been prossesed... so told me to ring back the next day.... phoned today and told it have not yet been processed and told to phone back on friday.

phoned today (07/09/2016)
told they only got one appointment in the next 6 weeks and its on the (09/09/2016)
will this be enough time to lower my cdt?????
before stopping i was drinking around 5 cans a night (fosters)
stopped totally on the 19/06/2016
had a heavy binge on the 14/08/2016.....
10 cans of fosters
2 shots of rum
2 pints of stella
have not drank a drop since then......

please help
thanks guys

Last edited:
phoned today (07/09/2016)
told they only got one appointment in the next 6 weeks and its on the (09/09/2016)
will this be enough time to lower my cdt?????
before stopping i was drinking around 5 cans a night (fosters)
stopped totally on the 19/06/2016
had a heavy binge on the 14/08/2016.....
10 cans of fosters
2 shots of rum
2 pints of stella
have not drank a drop since then......

please help
thanks guys

If your binge was on 14 August, that gives you 26 days of abstinence. I think you could well be alright. You'd abstained for sometime before this binge so your CDT would have been low when it occurred and I and others have gotten successfully low scores when abstaining for about the same amount of time but I was was drinking much more than you regularly. You could ask the dvla for an extension. After all two days notice is not a lot when you may have to take time off work, find childcare etc. etc.....

If your binge was on 14 August, that gives you 26 days of abstinence. I think you could well be alright. You'd abstained for sometime before this binge so your CDT would have been low when it occurred and I and others have gotten successfully low scores when abstaining for about the same amount of time but I was was drinking much more than you regularly. You could ask the dvla for an extension. After all two days notice is not a lot when you may have to take time off work, find childcare etc. etc.....

i would but im fed up of phoning the DVLA, just gunna get it over and done with if i pass

If the 9th is inconvenient for you, ring DVLA and tell them that their nominated doctor had no suitable appointments within the 6 week window and they will allocate another one in your area. With just the one blip, though, you should be OK in the timeframes you have quoted for drinking.

i would but im fed up of phoning the DVLA, just gunna get it over and done with if i pass

did my medical on friday (09th), standard medical bloods questions etc etc.....

when do you think i could phone the dvla and see if they have my results??? thanks

I would call on Friday 16th or Monday 19th September. Depends if the sample was sent off on the Friday or didn't go until the Monday.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off