Travelling abroad as a HRO

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rosie

Well Known Member
Hi, Im currently 6 months into a 40 month ban. Its my first (and last!) drink driving offence, but because i was stopped by police in 2008 as i was drowsy after taking codeine tablets for severe toothache I have a DR80 on licence.
My query is, since i am now deemed a HRO, i have heard that i will never be able to go on holiday to certain countries... is this true, and if so, which countries would not allow me to enter?
Rosie.

Hi, Im currently 6 months into a 40 month ban. Its my first (and last!) drink driving offence, but because i was stopped by police in 2008 as i was drowsy after taking codeine tablets for severe toothache I have a DR80 on licence.
My query is, since i am now deemed a HRO, i have heard that i will never be able to go on holiday to certain countries... is this true, and if so, which countries would not allow me to enter?
Rosie.

No, that's not correct.

HRO status means that you will have to pass a medical before you can get your licence back. The DVLA will write to you regarding this three months before your ban is due to end.

The fact that you have a criminal record can stop travel to certain countries, with the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand ranking in that order of difficulty to gain a travel visa.

You will have to apply in each case and see what happens. HRO status is not a criminal status.

In terms of EU countries you are good to go. It's only countries that require you to apply for a travel visa that can present a problem due to the conviction.

Regards
M

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off