Licence applied for, medical done!

Convicted Driver Insurance

Loulou321

So I've finally had the news today that I passed my medical & my licence is going to be issued! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
I've made a new post as the other has a lot of conversation on there and I've done this to share my own personal experience with applying and the medical.

14/03/2016 - Sent off my application form via post with cheque
24/03/2016 - Received Medical letter
29/03/2016 - Phoned to book medical
07/04/2016 - Had medical
13/04/2016 - Phoned DVLA everyday from this point, at this date they had received my blood reports but no paperwork. I sent an email with a signature attached to request my bloods to be sent to myself.
19/04/2016 - Received blood report in the post (still no sign of paperwork until 20/04/2016)
21/04/2016 - Phoned DVLA who informed me that my licence had been issued. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!

Now I know there is a lot of debate on the medical front in regards to abstinence so I will share my own personal experience.
I am 22, female, around 60kg, 5'4, healthy, gym weekly, work etc. My drinking habits tend to be binges at the weekends. Sometimes around 2-3 bottles of wine in one sitting. I rarely drink in the week, maybe one or two if I go for dinner but it is mainly Friday & Saturday drinking. So, building up to the medical, I cut down a little from the start of February but I was still drinking a little. I had a big binge on 27/02/2016 and then drank again on 12/03/2016 (around 14-16 units), from this date I had one drink of one single measure 19/03/2016 - if you ignore the one drink on 19th that means I pretty much had just under 3 weeks alcohol free. I took no extra vitamins or anything like that. This gave me a CDT reading of 0.9%, answered no to all on questionnaire.

My medical included the following:

Firstly I was made to fill out a questionnaire, my doctor then called me in which is where I had to show proof of identity (don't forget this) & answer the questionnaire he had (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/320711/DR1V_.pdf - it is actually exactly the same) Asks if you have been dependent or use drugs - what you expect really.
After this I had a physical examination - heart beat and checked my back, feeling in the face, eye movements, held out arms & arm movements, tapped my arms and legs and felt my stomach around where the liver sits.
This was then followed by an eye test, the old school ones where it's literally a board and I had to read the lowest visible line. I have to wear glasses for computer and tele but I've never been told I need them for driving.
Finally, the blood test < we all know we have to do this.
& that was it. Took around 20/30 minutes.

I hope this helps anyone who is in the process or looking for a guide in the future. This is my own personal experience, you have to remember that - some people may need longer abstinence periods, some may need less at all however, better safe than sorry. If you wish to pay for a private CDT test, these are available if you are worried or would like an indication.

If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer :D

Excellent post and my biggest congratulations to you Lou!!!! I knew you'd pass!!!

This post will prove particularly useful for people looking for timescales and amounts of time to be abstinent from alcohol from coming up to a medical.

Single binges don't affect CDT - it's prolonged (daily)drinking of high amounts.

Anyway...congrats again :)

So I've finally had the news today that I passed my medical & my licence is going to be issued! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
I've made a new post as the other has a lot of conversation on there and I've done this to share my own personal experience with applying and the medical.

14/03/2016 - Sent off my application form via post with cheque
24/03/2016 - Received Medical letter
29/03/2016 - Phoned to book medical
07/04/2016 - Had medical
13/04/2016 - Phoned DVLA everyday from this point, at this date they had received my blood reports but no paperwork. I sent an email with a signature attached to request my bloods to be sent to myself.
19/04/2016 - Received blood report in the post (still no sign of paperwork until 20/04/2016)
21/04/2016 - Phoned DVLA who informed me that my licence had been issued. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!

Now I know there is a lot of debate on the medical front in regards to abstinence so I will share my own personal experience.
I am 22, female, around 60kg, 5'4, healthy, gym weekly, work etc. My drinking habits tend to be binges at the weekends. Sometimes around 2-3 bottles of wine in one sitting. I rarely drink in the week, maybe one or two if I go for dinner but it is mainly Friday & Saturday drinking. So, building up to the medical, I cut down a little from the start of February but I was still drinking a little. I had a big binge on 27/02/2016 and then drank again on 12/03/2016 (around 14-16 units), from this date I had one drink of one single measure 19/03/2016 - if you ignore the one drink on 19th that means I pretty much had just under 3 weeks alcohol free. I took no extra vitamins or anything like that. This gave me a CDT reading of 0.9%, answered no to all on questionnaire.

My medical included the following:

Firstly I was made to fill out a questionnaire, my doctor then called me in which is where I had to show proof of identity (don't forget this) & answer the questionnaire he had (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/320711/DR1V_.pdf - it is actually exactly the same) Asks if you have been dependent or use drugs - what you expect really.
After this I had a physical examination - heart beat and checked my back, feeling in the face, eye movements, held out arms & arm movements, tapped my arms and legs and felt my stomach around where the liver sits.
This was then followed by an eye test, the old school ones where it's literally a board and I had to read the lowest visible line. I have to wear glasses for computer and tele but I've never been told I need them for driving.
Finally, the blood test < we all know we have to do this.
& that was it. Took around 20/30 minutes.

I hope this helps anyone who is in the process or looking for a guide in the future. This is my own personal experience, you have to remember that - some people may need longer abstinence periods, some may need less at all however, better safe than sorry. If you wish to pay for a private CDT test, these are available if you are worried or would like an indication.

If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer :D

Congratulations Lou!! I'm very happy for you!
0.9% CDT reading is great!! Interesting to hear your abstinence period, very similar to mine with almost identical reading.
Good post by the way, very helpful for all who are following in our footsteps.. just a day or two until the brand spanking new pink card drops through the letter box :D

Last edited:
Ah massive thanks to you two! You've helped and supported me a lot. Just you to go now White :)

Just like to point out the error I made.....

I pretty much had just under 3 weeks alcohol free. I took no extra vitamins or anything like that. This gave me a CDT reading of 0.9%, answered no to all on questionnaire.

THIS IS MEANT TO SAY JUST UNDER 4 WEEKS NOT 3, MY BAD!

Ah massive thanks to you two! You've helped and supported me a lot. Just you to go now White :)

Just like to point out the error I made.....

THIS IS MEANT TO SAY JUST UNDER 4 WEEKS NOT 3, MY BAD!

We can put that down to excitement!!;)

Glad to have been of support, that's what MOST of us are here for after all!
Yep, White43 you've not got long to go now!! I'm sure you'll be fine too!:)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off