Finally applied!

Convicted Driver Insurance

Loulou321

So this week I was finally able to apply for my licence again! Now the next bit... the medical.
I went out at the weekend and had approximately 15 units. Now I am planning on not drinking until the medical, predicting it will be around mid-end of April which will give me around 4 weeks alcohol free. Hoping this will be enough - I do not plan to take any extra vitamins during this period.
Just a background of my drinking and eating habits:
Monday - Friday I eat healthy as possible and including lots of vit and iron within my day (allowing the odd treat here and there) + I gym 5 x a week. Usually weekends I will go out on a Friday and Saturday (since start of Feb, this has only been once a weekend or not at all). I only really drink wine which is obviously quite a lot of units, sometimes up to 3 bottles a session. I have however, been taking it easy since start of Feb and having no more than 16 units a week.
I will keep everyone updated with the process of how long it has taken for everything such as, time between applying and receiving medical info, to booking etc.
I am nervous as anything though!

So this week I was finally able to apply for my licence again! Now the next bit... the medical.
I went out at the weekend and had approximately 15 units. Now I am planning on not drinking until the medical, predicting it will be around mid-end of April which will give me around 4 weeks alcohol free. Hoping this will be enough - I do not plan to take any extra vitamins during this period.
Monday - Friday I eat healthy as possible and including lots of vit and iron within my day (allowing the odd treat here and there) + I gym 5 x a week. Usually weekends I will go out on a Friday and Saturday (since start of Feb, this has only been once a weekend or not at all). I only really drink wine which is obviously quite a lot of units, sometimes up to 3 bottles a session. I have however, been taking it easy since start of Feb and having no more than 16 units a week.
I will keep everyone updated with the process of how long it has taken for everything such as, time between applying and receiving medical info, to booking etc.

Well you wouldn't be nervous if you abstained for 12 weeks; which is the safe recommendation.

To put things into context; by abstaining for only 4 weeks you are doing the absolute minimum required to get back your driving licence. Is that wise after everything that you have been through? The consequences of failing the medical are a further 6 or 12 months off the road.

The physicality that you have described wont have any effect on your CDT levels; In the same way that Usain Bolt would fail a breath test after three pints of 5% lager. Fitness has no real effect, and neither will vitamins, fruit or any other supplements. Its all great for your wellbeing, but it wont help to reduce your CDT levels; only time will do that, and four weeks is not very long.

Good luck.

M

Hey Loulou,

If you've been taking it easier and only drinking once a week since the beginning of Feb and now plan 4 weeks of abstinence, I don't see a problem. if you look at my other posts you will see how CDT works.

Persistent daily drinking of over 50g of alcohol will raise CDT levels.

A weekly binge should not increase CDT levels and if you've been abstinent 6 days a week since Feb then your CDT levels will have fallen, if not returned to normal. Even if they were slightly elevated now, CDT has a 14 day half life - which means it will half itself if high in the next two weeks. If you were iron deficient, you consuming iron will bring down any false positive.

I would recommend a private CDT test if you can afford it, this will put your mind at ease - PM'd you some info on that.

I'm in the same boat having just applied myself!

All the best

Received my medical letter last Thursday (24th) - I rang today to book my medical but they had not yet received any information but they have booked me in for next week else it is another 3/4 week wait. Hopefully they will get the info off DVLA.
This will mean, if I have the test next week, I will have not had alcohol in just under 4 weeks.
I've spent a lot of time researching and the 12 week window seems to be for those who are alcohol dependent.
Due to the last binge being after a 2 week sober phase, it shouldn't have raised CDT too high.

Hey Loulou,

I got my letter on Saturday and rang today, but they hadn't had my paperwork so advised me to call back tomorrow ! So would not book me in!

I think you should be perfectly fine with your medical as discussed.

Keep us posted, when is your date?

They did say that if they hadn't received by the end of the week they would give me a call but hopefully they should, maybe the bank hol has just delayed it a little.
Next Thursday is the big day. It was either then or the last week of April. I'll keep you posted on how it all goes though & the same with you. We will both be fine, I'm sure :)

Hi Lou
By your reported drinking level and barring any aggravating factors, you should be ok. I had a 23 day bone dry period before my medical but had been drinking just about every day before this but around 10 units per day, no 'big binges' like 3 bottles a session. I passed with a reading of 1.0%. Like you I'm a healthy eater, generally. Like 'white43' suggested, it would be a good idea to get a private test but no time for that now and sometimes those results can be misleading, as in 'white43's' own strangely low result. Good luck for next week, I hope it goes well for you.
P.S. Good luck to you too white!

Last edited:
sometimes those results can be misleading, as in 'white43's' own strangely low result. Good luck for next week, I hope it goes well for you.
P.S. Good luck to you too white!

Worth pointing out my results were not misleading, they were correct - but showed no sign of any alcohol consumption, which was the misleading part!

Loulou - you'll be absolutely fine. I have every confidence you'll pass. Lucky you to be next week! I have to wait 25 days!!!

Sorry White43, I misspoke. Your test result indicated that you do not consume alcohol, certainly not to excess, which by your own admission, is not entirely correct. No offence meant...Good luck to you and Lou. I've been where you both are now..✌

Sorry White43, I misspoke. Your test result indicated that you do not consume alcohol, certainly not to excess, which by your own admission, is not entirely correct. No offence meant...Good luck to you and Lou. I've been where you both are now..✌

None taken my friend :)

I haven't actually found that many people are failing the medical lately and the majority are going by around 4 weeks sober.
I'm sure I will be fine, just want it all out the way now.

White - I can't believe you are having to wait so long :(, I think I was lucky with my appointment because it was the only one else I would have been waiting 3-4 weeks extra.

I will keep everyone posted on how I get on and what was involved in my medical :)

So that's it, medical is done! I can't lie, I was very nervous as I just didn't know what to expect but my doctor was really nice and made me feel at ease.
I'll talk you through my process...
Firstly I was made to fill out a questionnaire which I stated I went out once a month having on 1-2 drinks - this meant I could skip to the end questions and all was ok on that (I think)
My doctor then called me in which is where I had to show proof of identity (don't forget this) & answer the questionnaire (someone posted this in a previous post - it is actually exactly the same) Asks if you have been dependent or use drugs - what you expect really.
After this I had a physical examination - heart beat and checked my back, feeling in the face, eye movements, held out arms & arm movements, tapped my arms and legs and felt my stomach around where the liver sits.
This was then followed by an eye test, the old school ones where it's literally a board and I had to read the lowest visible line. I have to wear glasses for computer and tele but I've never been told I need them for driving - the doctor did not comment on this so I presume I am ok.
Finally, the blood test < we all know we have to do this.
& that was it. Took around 20 minutes.

The doctor advised it can take up to 6 weeks for DVLA to make a decision and they will write to me. If I haven't heard back after 6 weeks then I will need to call up to chase and see what is going on. Fingers crossed it doesn't take that long but just how it is.

Let's pray I pass :rolleyes:

So that's it, medical is done! I can't lie, I was very nervous as I just didn't know what to expect but my doctor was really nice and made me feel at ease.
Firstly I was made to fill out a questionnaire which I stated I went out once a month having on 1-2 drinks - this meant I could skip to the end questions and all was ok on that (I think)
My doctor then called me in which is where I had to show proof of identity (don't forget this) & answer the questionnaire (someone posted this in a previous post - it is actually exactly the same) Asks if you have been dependent or use drugs - what you expect really.
After this I had a physical examination - heart beat and checked my back, feeling in the face, eye movements, held out arms & arm movements, tapped my arms and legs and felt my stomach around where the liver sits.
This was then followed by an eye test, the old school ones where it's literally a board and I had to read the lowest visible line. I have to wear glasses for computer and tele but I've never been told I need them for driving - the doctor did not comment on this so I presume I am ok.

The doctor advised it can take up to 6 weeks for DVLA to make a decision and they will write to me. If I haven't heard back after 6 weeks then I will need to call up to chase and see what is going on. Fingers crossed it doesn't take that long but just how it is.

Hi Loulou,

I bet that's a relief that that bit is finally over! Now the last bit of the wait. I have every confidence that the blood work should turn out just fine as you've been a social, once a week drinker for some time and abstinent for a while.

Can I ask:

There's a question in the medical which asks if in the last 3 years, you've ever misused or been dependent on alcohol. Which to me is a completely redundant question, as - well, that's why you're there isn't it? (Yes, i can see a scenario where that wouldn't be the case).

So did you answer yes or no to this? Did the GP fill in the questionnaire for you?

If you pretty much said no to everything and your CDT comes back green, there's no reason for them to refer to your GP as far as I can see.

I've seen people ringing up DVLA after two weeks to see what's going on!

Hi Lou

Well you can relax a bit now the physical bit's all done.

I keep telling people that there's nothing to worry about with regard to the actual medical, so I'm glad to see that you had a straightforward experience! I don't know how your doctor was on a personal level but mine was very friendly and made the whole experience feel more like a chat. I think I was nervous because I was anticipating a very judgemental doctor, condemning me seven ways to Sunday but I was expecting the same of the instructor on my dd awareness course and he was great!!

Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as that. My medical was on a Monday morning and my license was issued on the Tuesday of the following week, 7 working days later. My blood was processed by the lab the day following my medical exam (that's according to the paperwork I requested from DVLA regarding my lab tests) and can be done in a day.

Crossing my fingers for you!!
Keep us posted!!

White43 - Massive relief it's now over! I answered no, I've read a few posts on here where the GP has been a bit funny about this question but he didn't push or comment on any of my answers. & the doctor filled in the questionnaire. I will try to wait patiently for my results, hopefully they come back quick.

shouldaknownbetter - My doctor was really friendly but like you said, I was expecting a dragon haha! Made it a lot easier to get through the medical. My ban doesn't end until June so they may not see me as a priority to get a decision made but kind of hoping they get back to me quickly. How long did it take for them to write to you after the process?

Hi Loulou,

I bet that's a relief that that bit is finally over! Now the last bit of the wait. I have every confidence that the blood work should turn out just fine as you've been a social, once a week drinker for some time and abstinent for a while.

Can I ask:

There's a question in the medical which asks if in the last 3 years, you've ever misused or been dependent on alcohol. Which to me is a completely redundant question, as - well, that's why you're there isn't it? (Yes, i can see a scenario where that wouldn't be the case).

So did you answer yes or no to this? Did the GP fill in the questionnaire for you?

If you pretty much said no to everything and your CDT comes back green, there's no reason for them to refer to your GP as far as I can see.

I've seen people ringing up DVLA after two weeks to see what's going on!

Hi white43

Don't mean to jump in on your comment...
I answered no to that question and wasn't questioned further on it. You've not necessarily been dependant or misused alcohol, poor judgement is what has lead a lot of us here and I don't consider them to be the same thing, in my humble opinion ?

I filled in the whole questionnaire even though the receptionist told me to only fill in one side but sign the declaration for the whole form..I told the doctor that I completed the whole questionnaire and that I don't sign blank forms since my divorce! They chat and ask you basically the same questions, to confirm the information that you've provided and I got the feeling, to see how responsive and engaged you are, if that makes sense..

You've got a couple of weeks to go until your medical haven't you? How's the abstinence going?

White43 - Massive relief it's now over! I answered no, I've read a few posts on here where the GP has been a bit funny about this question but he didn't push or comment on any of my answers. & the doctor filled in the questionnaire. I will try to wait patiently for my results, hopefully they come back quick.

shouldaknownbetter - My doctor was really friendly but like you said, I was expecting a dragon haha! Made it a lot easier to get through the medical. My ban doesn't end until June so they may not see me as a priority to get a decision made but kind of hoping they get back to me quickly. How long did it take for them to write to you after the process?

Sorry guys! I keep crossing messages, should give up doing eight things at once!!

Glad your doc was friendly, I told myself that they probably see a lot worse than me in their day to day practice!! I'm polite, funny (I think!), articulate and I'm not asking them to look at a nasty athlete's foot infection!

I called DVLA on Thursday the 4th February, my medical was on Monday 25th January, they told me that my license had been issued on Tuesday February 2nd and sure enough, it was waiting for me when I got home. I called because I'm impatient and wanted to know if they intended to contact my GP so I could make an appointment with her before the event but had nothing to worry about as it happened.
I'm just recalling the relief you're feeling now, good times and hopefully the last hurdle for you!

Hi white43

Don't mean to jump in on your comment...
I answered no to that question and wasn't questioned further on it. You've not necessarily been dependant or misused alcohol, poor judgement is what has lead a lot of us here and I don't consider them to be the same thing, in my humble opinion ?

I filled in the whole questionnaire even though the receptionist told me to only fill in one side but sign the declaration for the whole form..I told the doctor that I completed the whole questionnaire and that I don't sign blank forms since my divorce! They chat and ask you basically the same questions, to confirm the information that you've provided and I got the feeling, to see how responsive and engaged you are, if that makes sense..

You've got a couple of weeks to go until your medical haven't you? How's the abstinence going?

I see what you mean now. I've never considered myself dependent - but misuse of alcohol, hmmm well I think at least 75% of the country could answer yes to this. But looking at what you've said, then perhaps I should answer no! I believe that any answers of yes will trigger a GP referral.

I've got about just under 3 weeks to go now. I did have drinks about just over two weeks ago, but my CDT's have been fine. I will be doing one final one next Tuesday. I again will keep you all posted.

All seems positive news from Lou , Should and White ; I will be arranging my medical in the next few days so hope to keep the run going ! I will be ok on the CDT side and everything else should be ok too , but if I end up having to read letters from a board , like we did at school and I fail this part of the test/exam , will they knock me back automatically , or just advise me to get specs , or tell me to come back again when I have specs ?

I see what you mean now. I've never considered myself dependent - but misuse of alcohol, hmmm well I think at least 75% of the country could answer yes to this. But looking at what you've said, then perhaps I should answer no! I believe that any answers of yes will trigger a GP referral.

I've got about just under 3 weeks to go now. I did have drinks about just over two weeks ago, but my CDT's have been fine. I will be doing one final one next Tuesday. I again will keep you all posted.

Yeah, I guess the percentage of misusers is probably higher in all honesty. Unless you've attended your GP or the ER with an 'alcohol misadventure' or if you've seen your GP regarding, for example, depression with excessive alcohol consumption etc, I can't see that they could find out otherwise. My DVLA doctor didn't ask me for any details surrounding my offense, so information from that couldn't be construed as misuse. I answered no, honestly, and wouldn't condone lies but a yes to any of these will ring alarm bells. You should have nothing to worry about what with your consistently low CDT readings.

Keep posting..

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off