3 year ban up...

Convicted Driver Insurance

Thetomo

Hi all...got a 3 year ban and it ran out 16/12/15 drank a fair bit last year weekend mayhem realy.... Going to post away to renew licence next week..13/02/16. I had a drink at Christmas day and new year night and on 17th January but nothing since then also been taking milk thistle and drinking water . Was wondering if bye time Renewal for go's to dvla and back and then go doctors for medical if I should be OK for medical ... Don't won't to go to early and fail.. 3 years is long enough totally gutted me lol also what's best insurance to go for or whom to go with? Any advice n stuff be appreciated cheers in advance the tomo

Tree has been debate on other threads this week about how long to cut down or abstain from drinking prior to the DVLA medical, and it can vary depending on the person, how much and how long they have been drinking for. You only indicate having "a drink" on 3 occasions since Christmas, but that is not very specific....... Some people seem to have been OK with the medical after only a few weeks, while 12 is suggested as being fine for all but alcoholics.
if you put your application in next week, it could be several weeks before you hear about the doctor you have to see, and you have a 6 week window to have the medical so if you stay off the wagon you should be OK by the time you see the doctor if you go later in the 'window'.
if you completed a DDRS course you would have been given a list of insurance companies that look favourably on people who have been caught drink driving and done the course. If you didn't do the course, try he comparison websites, but be aware that insurance companies often quote good rates to appear to be best value, but then bump up the cost when you actually go to their site and complete full details.
the insurance company will want to know your reading in breath / blood, the length of your ban (after a course, not what you were originally given) and the offence code. The code is DR10 for drink driving, DR30 for failing to supply. There are also other codes but these 2 are the usual ones.

Hi there and thanks for reply bud......on Christmas I had say 15 cans Stella... Newyears eve a bottle whisky and 17th Jan a bottle whisky.... Before Christmas was only realy drinking once a week on a Friday or Saturday and was usually 12 cans Stella.. Am pritty fit am a painter decor so use alot of energy it's like a long work out every day lol. 6 foot and 13/5 stone so average build.... I never got told to do a ddrs test was only a 3 year ban 140 hours community service and 18 moths good behaviour.... Was already on good behaviour so that's why so sore on me... Not sure what a blow on test was 3 times the limit think was 111 ish not sure but that was the next night after a full weekend session that was on a hangover ffs lol. Bad I kno but hey it happens would t happen again.... Hopefully cam get past medical and get on to a car insurance will be a tad sore Al have to just look around n see what's what asapose thanks thetomo

Wen you drink you certainly go for it! That level of drinking means you would be certainly unfit to drive for all the next day, so you need to be aware of that.
On the timescale you mentioned for your medical you should be OK if you have it late on in the 6 week window.... But stay off the booze!

Last edited:
Yeah deffo staying off the boze till a get licence... Well a don't mean get licence get drunk... Will deffo not be driving the next day if a have a drink totally gutted me 3 year ban man..... Well Al deffo not have any alcohol before test just as matter of interest dose drugs show up on test ie cocaine did quit alot of that round Christmas n before n some after.... Hope that won't bugger. Things up but a belive if you work hard you can do what you want in ur own house if you no what I mean. Any way hope a pass the test and move on past the error of my way in life.. Cheers for reply and cheers for any.other info. The TOMO

The DVLA standard medical does not include tests for drugs. If a person discloses drug use on their medical questionnaire then a drugs test can also be included.
i always advise people to answer the questionnaire honestly.

Got medical booked for 14th March so fingers crossed should be OK will let yous no how it Al goes in thread

Hi there had my medical 14th. Phoned today 7 days later and my provisional has been issued today hope it gives a little more insight to every one that gets in to a bad situation... Lesson severly learned.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off