Hro medical and eyesight test ?!

Convicted Driver Insurance

C JONES

1/ Does the HRO medical always include an eyesight test , and if so , is it looking at the letters on the typical eyesight ?

2/ If you were to fail the eyesight bit of the medical , would they refuse to reissue your licence ?

Most people I have spoken to have NOT been required to have an eyesight test as a part of there medical.
should one be carried out, this is the guidance from DVLA on the eyesight requirement for driving:
If you think there may be a problem with your eyesight, You would be best to do what is said at the end - see your optician and..... Show him this requirement, because it means nothing to me, except for the first bit about reading a number plate!
[h=2]Standards of vision for driving[/h]You must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres.
You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale(with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye.
You must also have an adequate field of vision - your optician can tell you about this and do a test.

Most people I have spoken to have NOT been required to have an eyesight test as a part of there medical.
should one be carried out, this is the guidance from DVLA on the eyesight requirement for driving:
If you think there may be a problem with your eyesight, You would be best to do what is said at the end - see your optician and..... Show him this requirement, because it means nothing to me, except for the first bit about reading a number plate!
Standards of vision for driving

You must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres.
You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale(with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye.
You must also have an adequate field of vision - your optician can tell you about this and do a test.

I was asked to do an eyesight test when I had my HRO medical about 14 months ago (reading the standard eyesight chart). I don't know whether this just depends on the doctor you see. I am sure I would have passed the DVLA number plate test as I have had laser correction for my short sight - however my eyes are not perfect, and I struggled to read the last 2 lines of the chart without my glasses, which luckily I had remembered to bring.

Just to clarify , if you were asked to do an eyesight test and your eyesight did not meet the necessary requirements , would you fail the HRO medical regardless of clean liver etc , or would you get your licence back and be told to get glasses asap ?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off