Somebody please clarify

Convicted Driver Insurance

jimdavis

Banned
Some threads on this discussion state that a drink driving conviction will not show up on an enhanced DBS check after 11 years
as long as it's the only recorded conviction.
Another thread implies that a single drink drive conviction will always be shown on an enhanced DBS check.
Could somebody please clarify this conflicting advice so people know exactly where they stand.

Jim.

Jim,
i have never wavered from the advice I have given on this, that one conviction only will NOT show up after 11 years.... Except to clarify that by "more than 1 offence means that convictions are always disclosable" means "more than 1 RECORDABLE offence"
for clarity, here is the Govenments' guidance on this, read it and make your own mind up.....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-filtering-guidance/dbs-filtering-guide

Hi Mr Price,

I completely agree with you. I know that you have never wavered from your threads.
I wasn't accusing you of anything.
I was referring to a post by a member called "Sausage" who asked the resident solicitor about convictions that were 11 years old.
The solicitors advice contradicted your previous posts on the issue.
You are corrrect and the solicitor is incorrect.
I posted a comment on this thread saying that Sean's advice to Sausage was incorrect.
I was simply pointing out that there is advice on this site that is contradictory.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies, this was an oversight on my part when providing the advice. The post has now been amended with the correct information.

Resulting from this interesting thread, Samantha asked me a question yesterday.
She asked me if drink driving convictions were recordable since the law was brought in.
I told her that the law was brought in somewhare around 1968 and I assume drink driving convictions
were recordable from the time they were introduced.
However, I'm not sure if drink driving convictions were actually recordable back then.
Maybe they became recordable sometime after their introduction.
Can someone clarify this please?

Jim

Jim,
Drink driving in its current form became an offence under the Road Safety Act 1967. It introduced a legal limit (which is still the same today) whereas before then the offence was driving whilst drunk. Here is a reply I gave a while ago to the issue of drink driving being a recordable offence, this is the best I can do to answer your question.....

i can't remember when drink drive was made a recordable offence exactly, but i suspect it may have been when the offence was altered from the Road Safety act of 1967 to the Road Traffic act of 1988. Failing to supply an evidential sample was made recordable in 2000, because it had been missed off. The power to make offences recordable ones comes from s27 (4) of The Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984.

so the answer is not before 1984, and not after 1988, is that close enough?

Thanks for your reply Mr Price.
I have been searching the Internet to find out exactly when drink driving became a recordable
offence but haven't found any reliable information.
1988 seems to be the most likely year from opinions gathered from the Internet.
I am therefore unable to answer Sam's question with certainty.
Would it be worth Sam calling into the local Police Station and asking them?
I don't suppose they will know the answer straight away, but they may be able to find out.

Jim.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off