USA visit

Convicted Driver Insurance

noo1

Hi, I am hoping to visit New York next year and was wondering if my DD conviction would stop this? My reading was 52 and I am now back driving again. I know I will have to apply for a visa anyway but would this stop me. Thanks :)

You'll be fine - no need to apply for a Visa, just fill in an Esta as normal. From what I have seen and tried and done, the USA will welcome you if you have not raped, murdered, or accidentally caused the death of someone in the last week. Maybe a fortnight.
Canada however, will hold it against you until the end of time - even just a simple "2 points over the limit" DD offence. They can grant you a visitor visa under exceptional circumstances, such as visiting a dying family member - but the last time I emailed them about this, they said the waiting list for that type of essential circumstance was 14 MONTHS even to be considered.

So USA - yep.
Canada - no.

Thank you for that, I desperately want to take my daughter. Not worried about Canada so no worries there. Thanks again :)

Hi there, this is my first post here so please forgive me for not being familiar with the procedure.

I can confirm that you don't need to worry (as I did). Everything is done electronically before travel, you'll need to apply for an ESTA , $14 each, the last time I applied.
You fill out the normal details and on the declaration part you just check the part that says that you've NEVER been convicted of an offence. They are asking if you have ever been convicted of a crime of "moral turpitude" and drink driving or being in charge of a motor vehicle whilst intoxicated is not classed as such.

I did extensive research and printed off half of the US Customs and Border Patrol handbook to take with me the first time I travelled to the US, post ban. Sweaty palms and heart palpitations in the immigration hall but there was no need to worry.
Hope this helps and I hope you have a lovely time.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off