Why only Six month ban for drink driving?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Routemaster

I read a news paper article on how a motorist was initially stopped by The police for driving his sports car at only 5mph in a 40 zone and failed a breath test.

Full story: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/516645/Man-arrested-doing-5mph-150mph-TVR-sports-car

However he was only given a 6 month ban when convicted by court. I thought 12 months wax the minimum ban. I know its only 6 months discretionary ban for drunk in charge, but in this case the driver was actually driving.

You are right, the minimum ban for drink driving is 12 months.
as his reading was 109 in breath, the guideline ban is 23-28 months. I would put money on the answer being poor reporting, and he was actually given a 24 month ban, with 6 months reduction being offered for him if he completed a drink drive rehabilitation course..... That is where the 6 months came from.

Interesting story. Is there some discrepancy in sentencing?

Anyway, I hope I am posting in the right place (I am new to the forums).

I was banned from driving for 18 months in 1991 and was again banned in 2003. At the time of my last arrest/charge I cannot remember what my Breath reading was (well, it was 12 years ago).

The reason i ask is because I haven't reapplied for my license since 2003 as i didn't need a car; I live in London. I am now about to reapply for my license but it would be useful to know what my breath reading was in 2003. Is there any way to find this out? Will the Police give me this info. over the phone or will the sentencing court give me the details over the phone.

I was disqualified for 24 months in 2003. I was given the chance to attend the rehab course in order to reduce my sentence but i didn't bother as I simply could not afford the course fee's at the time.

Thanks for any feedback.

Interesting story. Is there some discrepancy in sentencing?

Anyway, I hope I am posting in the right place (I am new to the forums).

I was banned from driving for 18 months in 1991 and was again banned in 2003. At the time of my last arrest/charge I cannot remember what my Breath reading was (well, it was 12 years ago).

The reason i ask is because I haven't reapplied for my license since 2003 as i didn't need a car; I live in London. I am now about to reapply for my license but it would be useful to know what my breath reading was in 2003. Is there any way to find this out? Will the Police give me this info. over the phone or will the sentencing court give me the details over the phone.

I was disqualified for 24 months in 2003. I was given the chance to attend the rehab course in order to reduce my sentence but i didn't bother as I simply could not afford the course fee's at the time.

Thanks for any feedback.

Probably best to go into the police station in person to ask. I'm sure there will be records somewhere on your 2003 conviction possibly even your 1991 conviction too. If not the sentencing court should have records and 'The Police' will be able to tell you how to contact them.
They may be able to let you know under the Freedom of Information act.

I would not expect the police to give out this information to someone calling in to ask, even if they have ready access to it.
your best bet is to make a "subject Access Request" to the Police, in writing, which requires them to provide any information they hold on you. I believe the fee most forces charge is £15. If you just ask for details of your criminal record, they will just show "no relevant convictions" as both offences are now deemed to be spent, unless it is for DBS purposes. Even then, they may only hold your length of disqualification and offence code, not your actual reading - just "over the prescribed limit."
why do you need to know, as the conviction is spent and does not have to be declared to insurance companies or for employment? Even if it is for a DBS check, the conviction and the ban is all that is relevant after this period of time, not the reading.
you will find out, of course, if your reading last time was 88 or more when you apply for your licence back.... Because DVLA will require you to do a medical. If it was under 88, they won't. A ban of 24 months indicates that you may well have been over the trigger reading for a medical.
if you ask the court, they may well look it up for you, but only if you give them the EXACT date you were in court, they will not search at all. As you cannot remember the reading, I doubt you can remember the court date though?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. The odd thing is, I can remember the month in 2003 when I was disqualified, but not the date.

Also, I wish to ascertain if I had a reading of +/- 88 because that will direct me for which line of application 'route' to go for and the difference between a payment of £65 or £90 to DVLA.

Thanks for your reply. The odd thing is, I can remember the month in 2003 when I was disqualified, but not the date.

Also, I wish to ascertain if I had a reading of +/- 88 because that will direct me for which line of application 'route' to go for and the difference between a payment of £65 or £90 to DVLA.

I would simply apply for the licence back, after disqualification, enclosing £65. If you need a medical then they will send your application back, saying so and that you have to pay £90. That will take about 2 weeks. .... quicker than putting in a S.A.R. to the police that could take 6 weeks.

Thanks. That is in line with my reasoning on this. Am just going to re-apply and await an outcome.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off