Worried and confused

Convicted Driver Insurance

worried1978

I was a bit silly on Friday - Had 4 pints and stupidly drove home. Making no excuses for my actions, as I know I'm fully in the wrong.

Had an accident with an oncoming car in a country lane - front offside to front offside collision.

Police were called (I was one of the people that called them)

By the time the police arrived I was very dazed and in Shock - I blew a high reading on a breath test (not that I was ever told it was anything other than very high)

After that point I was put in an ambulance and sent to hospital as my blood pressure had hit about 200

(I'll use estimates of times, as I had no watch or phone on me)

The Accident happened at about 7pm
Breath test would have been around 8pm
Got to the hospital for about 10/1030
On the way to the hospital had a massive wee (like about 2 litres worth)
saw by a nurse about 10:30 had the hospital blood test and a quick urine sample for the nurse
Then there was a long wait, the Police doctor for the official blood test didnt turn up until about 1:30
After about 15/20 minutes of three failed attempts to draw blood (very painful, but seemed like my veins weren't playing ball) he gave up
then the police said I would need to do a urine sample instead.... so they made me drink lots of water, and just before I was to go for a wee, the hospital sent in their own doctor for a checkup....
we then got back to the urine sample..... needed to down vast quantities of water before anything would happen...
So my wee sample ended up be at about 2:30 in the morning - around 7 and a half hours after the accident.

I've got two questions really:

1) Would such a long elapsed time, mean that I'm highly likely to pass the urine test
2) After doing a bit of reading "it seems" the police might not have done the urine test correctly - everything I've read suggests you have to do 2 samples within an hour, discard the first, fill back up with water and then use the second - but that isn't what happened.

I think you have had a full and correct answer in the solicitors section.
You have to provide 2 samples within an hour of the request, "the first of which will be discarded." There has to be a distinct gap between the samples, not a "stop and start again."
This will only be relevant, of course, if your urine comes back as over 107. If you only had 4 pints before 7pm then I would have expected you to be certainly under the limit on a sample at 2.30am..... but there again I would not have expected you to provide a roadside sample that was a "high reading" at 8pm either, unless it was very strong stuff!

I was a bit silly on Friday - Had 4 pints and stupidly drove home. Making no excuses for my actions, as I know I'm fully in the wrong.

Had an accident with an oncoming car in a country lane - front offside to front offside collision.

Police were called (I was one of the people that called them)

By the time the police arrived I was very dazed and in Shock - I blew a high reading on a breath test (not that I was ever told it was anything other than very high)

After that point I was put in an ambulance and sent to hospital as my blood pressure had hit about 200

(I'll use estimates of times, as I had no watch or phone on me)

The Accident happened at about 7pm
Breath test would have been around 8pm
Got to the hospital for about 10/1030
On the way to the hospital had a massive wee (like about 2 litres worth)
saw by a nurse about 10:30 had the hospital blood test and a quick urine sample for the nurse
Then there was a long wait, the Police doctor for the official blood test didnt turn up until about 1:30
After about 15/20 minutes of three failed attempts to draw blood (very painful, but seemed like my veins weren't playing ball) he gave up
then the police said I would need to do a urine sample instead.... so they made me drink lots of water, and just before I was to go for a wee, the hospital sent in their own doctor for a checkup....
we then got back to the urine sample..... needed to down vast quantities of water before anything would happen...
So my wee sample ended up be at about 2:30 in the morning - around 7 and a half hours after the accident.

I've got two questions really:

1) Would such a long elapsed time, mean that I'm highly likely to pass the urine test
2) After doing a bit of reading "it seems" the police might not have done the urine test correctly - everything I've read suggests you have to do 2 samples within an hour, discard the first, fill back up with water and then use the second - but that isn't what happened.

With such a long long time after drinking AND drinking copious amounts of water your blood alcohol would probably be very low to negligible. The water on its own would significantly dilute any alcohol left in your blood increasing blood volume and thus greatly reducing the BAC.

samples should be done within an hour but having waited such a long time, that works in your favor, your BAC will have fallen well below the limit and it maybe possible police were not following correct procedures and any conviction would be void.

It seems you've been very lucky! Learn your lesson and DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off