About to apply for license questions regarding medical and GP's

Convicted Driver Insurance

ubernoob1

Ok, so I've seen a lot of similar threads on here so apologies if some of my questions have been answered elsewhere, this is where I'm at.

I was convicted in June 2013 of failing to provide a specimen and disqualified for 2 years, my ban was up in June and I'm going to be applying for my license back over the next couple of weeks.

I have been a heavy weekend drinker for the last year (Friday Saturday and Sunday) up until 2 weeks ago, in the last 2 weeks I have only had one night of drink which was on Saturday and I consumed 50CL of vodka, that was a one off and I will be abstaining completely for the next couple of weeks. I have spoken to my GP and they are willing to give me a CDT test (they are going to throw in a liver function test for good measure also) so I wont have to pay to go private before my DVLA medical. My results should be back from the GP in 2 weeks at which point I will have only had 1 night of drinking in 4 weeks and I will then be applying to the DVLA for my medical, I figure that will take another couple of weeks and take me up to 6 weeks or so with no alcohol bar the 1 I have mentioned. I am thinking that 6-7 weeks time when I should be having my DVLA medical my CDT should be at a good level to pass.

I did see my GP about 2 years ago for depression and it was mentioned I was drinking too much at the time, however I was only treated for the depression and not alcohol consumption/dependency/misuse/alcoholism etc and it was only recommended I reduce my intake, the last recorded mention of alcohol to my GP was in July 2014 when they asked me how my consumption was and I told them I had reduced it a lot down to around 20 units per week which is perfectly fine.

Based on the points stated above how do you guys think I will fare with A: the CDT test and b: DVLA contacting my GP?

On a side note I moved since my ban and didn't get the notification to renew so am I correct in thinking that I need the DL1 for to renew my license after a ban and change my address? The fee to renew for a ban on there says £65 or £90 for high risk offender which I am, so does that £90 cover the medical also?

Any help on any of this is appreciated!

Based on what you have said, you should be OK for the DVLA medical by the time you take it. You don't have to stop drinking but make sure you keep within the guidelines of 21-28 units per week (not all in 1 night!). You can ask your doctor if he recorded that your problems 2 years ago were alcohol related, and if he will support your application. (It sounds like he will)
The fee to apply for your licence back is £90. This is for admin only, it does NOT cover the medical for which the doctor will want around £95, payable on the day of the medical, of earlier if you are using a cheque.

So I wanted to come and update people on here.

I attended my medical on Friday 6th November, this was about 8 weeks since I first sent my form off to the DVLA as it took them 4 weeks to get back to me and a further 4 weeks I had to wait before the Dr could fit me in for my medical, it should be quicker than this if unlike me you hadn't moved house since your offence without informing the DVLA and have to request for a change of address at the same time!

I had a drink 3 weeks before the medical which was about 4 cans of export strength lager and a 35cl bottle of vodka but my GP done my CDT 1.5 weeks after I stopped drinking and this came back at 1.4% (bare in mind I'm a heavy vodka drinker on the weekends and this can sometimes mean Thursday through to Sunday). Attended my medical and the nurse took a urine sample first which came back normal (yay!), took my height and weight and then took my blood. I then seen the Dr and he checked my breathing in my chest and back with a stethoscope, felt about my abdomen area and asked me the standard questions about have I ever had a drink problem, seen my GP for drinking, had an accident whilst drinking, took any drugs over the last 3 years etc and all of which I answered no to. That was it, then he said they would send my blood off for analysis and the results would then be sent to the DVLA.

I was expecting a wait of another 6 weeks to be honest but low and behold through the post this morning my license came only 2 weeks to the day I had the medical, they didn't contact my GP to my knowledge. This strikes me somewhat as odd as I had the medical on a Friday so didn't expect my blood to be sent or received until the following week and the result to come back in another week or so and the results to then be sent to the DVLA and processed by them and my license sent out on another few weeks after that but hey I'm not complaining, feels great to have it back!

Now I need to think about getting a car and paying for insurance which is a whole nother matter!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off