Advice on renewing license! 2 DUI offences, last 2005, not driven since.

Convicted Driver Insurance

labrador

Hello there. The bare facts -

I haven't been driving for ten years but would like my license back in order to use other vehicles, and consider getting my own once again.

I was convicted once in 2001 and given a year ban. In 2005, I was convicted again, and got a three year ban with 120 hours of community service which obviously makes me a HRO. My girlfriend knows I have been banned once but not twice, and I have never crashed. For what it's worth, I was driving too slowly late at night to get cigarettes - obviously not an excuse.

Anyway, I'd like to start by getting my license back. Will a medical be necessary? I am worried about this six month blood test, does anyone know anything about this? I do still binge drink (maybe once a week) but fully intend to cut down, and am considering stopping altogether. Obviously, I'd feel mortified to fail this but wonder what the chances are - and if I would even need a medical after a decade? I am presuming this means a provisional for two years and that I would have to take my test again at the very least. What are the costs for test and medical?

Second, I need to know what the policy is with her insurer. I'll find out who that is and let you know, but Churchill told me that if there is no offence within the past five years then there is no need to declare it, which is a relief if I can pass stage one. If I am to add myself on her name, I'd rather not have to tell her that I had two such offences, but am willing to "come clean" if need be - just asking.

Any advice on how to approach this would be gratefully received!

Hello there. The bare facts -

I haven't been driving for ten years but would like my license back in order to use other vehicles, and consider getting my own once again.

I was convicted once in 2001 and given a year ban. In 2005, I was convicted again, and got a three year ban with 120 hours of community service which obviously makes me a HRO. My girlfriend knows I have been banned once but not twice, and I have never crashed. For what it's worth, I was driving too slowly late at night to get cigarettes - obviously not an excuse.

Anyway, I'd like to start by getting my license back. Will a medical be necessary? I am worried about this six month blood test, does anyone know anything about this? I do still binge drink (maybe once a week) but fully intend to cut down, and am considering stopping altogether. Obviously, I'd feel mortified to fail this but wonder what the chances are - and if I would even need a medical after a decade? I am presuming this means a provisional for two years and that I would have to take my test again at the very least. What are the costs for test and medical?

Yes, if you are classed as a high risk offender, in order to get your licence back you will have to take and pass a DVLA medical to prove your fitness to drive to the DVLA, regardless of how much time has passed since the offence. Follow the aforementioned link to find out more about what is tested for at the medical. You can also use the forum search feature to find other posts relating to the DVLA medical. There a mixed views relating to alcohol consumption leading up to the medical, I would personally refrain from drinking altogether for 6-8 weeks before taking the medical.

Were your ordered to take a re-test by the court when you were convicted?

Second, I need to know what the policy is with her insurer. I'll find out who that is and let you know, but Churchill told me that if there is no offence within the past five years then there is no need to declare it, which is a relief if I can pass stage one. If I am to add myself on her name, I'd rather not have to tell her that I had two such offences, but am willing to "come clean" if need be - just asking.

Any advice on how to approach this would be gratefully received!

You only need to declare convictions to insurers from the past 5 years, you will not have to declare your drink driving offence from 10 years or so ago.

In any case, to start the application process you will need to fill out and send off a D1 pack, application for a driving licence for a car, moped or motorcycle. You can order one online and get it delivered to you here.

Once you have applied for your driving licence, the DVLA will contact you with details of the DVLA appointed doctor you need to arrange the medical with. The cost varies according to which doctor will carry out your medical, I would expect to pay approximately £90-£150 for the medical itself.

Last edited:
Were your ordered to take a re-test by the court when you were convicted?

I don't think so?

This is interesting -

http://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/have-you-been-caught-convicted-drink-driving/32724.htm

I will certainly avoid any binges for six weeks. From what I gather, this is sufficient? I am very keen on your thoughts after reading this thread, however!

I'd rather not have to say to my gf I have to get a medical since I have TWO offences, not the one I was honest about... While I don't want to be dishonest I don't think this admission will help me.

You only need to declare convictions to insurers from the past 5 years, you will not have to declare your drink driving offence from 10 years or so ago.

This is a great relief. So with a fully clean provisional license, how much do you imagine it may cost to add myself to her insurance? She drives a Ford Qashkai 5-door, and I would only be the additional driver for now.

In any case, to start the application process you will need to fill out and send off a D1 pack, application for a driving licence for a car, moped or motorcycle. You can order one online and get it delivered to you here.

Applied - thanks! It's good to at least be in possession of a license, whatever I choose to do with it... I am assuming that car hire will be difficult until two years have passed?

Once you have applied for your driving licence, the DVLA will contact you with details of the DVLA appointed doctor you need to arrange the medical with. The cost varies according to which doctor will carry out your medical, I would expect to pay approximately £90-£150 for the medical itself.

Thanks again! How much for the provisional license and do I need to retake my test?

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally understand how stressful it is. I got my license back last week after being banned on similar dates to you.

My advise to you would be to apply straight away. It took me 3 months to go through the whole process, it's quite frustrating.

I stopped drinking for a month once I had applied for my licence. Add then watched my intake for the next couple months leading up to the medical. I hadn't drunk for 11 days prior. But this really stressed me out so I would advise 4 weeks for your own peice of mind.

Do some research around the forums and the Internet about CDT testing as this is a big part of the medical. Understanding how this works is vital if you still intend to drink.

Good luck

I don't think so?

This is interesting -

http://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/have-you-been-caught-convicted-drink-driving/32724.htm

I will certainly avoid any binges for six weeks. From what I gather, this is sufficient? I am very keen on your thoughts after reading this thread, however!

I'd rather not have to say to my gf I have to get a medical since I have TWO offences, not the one I was honest about... While I don't want to be dishonest I don't think this admission will help me.

This is a great relief. So with a fully clean provisional license, how much do you imagine it may cost to add myself to her insurance? She drives a Ford Qashkai 5-door, and I would only be the additional driver for now.

I have no idea how much it would cost for you to be added onto the insurance policy as a named driver, you would have to contact the insurance company. While you do not have to declare the convictions to insurers after 5 years, a DR10 driving licence endorsement will still appear on your driving licence for a period of 11 years from the date of conviction, see here.

Applied - thanks! It's good to at least be in possession of a license, whatever I choose to do with it... I am assuming that car hire will be difficult until two years have passed?

Thanks again! How much for the provisional license and do I need to retake my test?

You can see how much the fee will be for applying for you driving licence here. Unless you held a provisional driving licence when you were disqualified or the court ordered you to re-take your driving test, you should just apply for a full licence, presuming of course that you are based in the UK?

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off