what is the next procedure?

Convicted Driver Insurance

ellen1

Hi All

I have now about 4 month left before my ban expires (in January). Could you please tell me what to do next? I understand DVLA are supposed to write to me about mid. October? Or do I just go to the post office and apply even before I get their letter? Where do I find the independent medical practitioner? Is DVLA going to provide a list or a telephone number to find one in my area? I had a drink awareness course and I am sure they gave us some info, but it was long time ago, as I took it straight after the offence. They said something about going to post office and applying even before I get the letter, but when? Should I do it in the end of October, or actually should I wait or DVLA to contact me first? I'd really appreciate if you could help me to clarify what to do next.

Hi All

I have now about 4 month left before my ban expires (in January). Could you please tell me what to do next? I understand DVLA are supposed to write to me about mid. October? Or do I just go to the post office and apply even before I get their letter? Where do I find the independent medical practitioner? Is DVLA going to provide a list or a telephone number to find one in my area? I had a drink awareness course and I am sure they gave us some info, but it was long time ago, as I took it straight after the offence. They said something about going to post office and applying even before I get the letter, but when? Should I do it in the end of October, or actually should I wait or DVLA to contact me first? I'd really appreciate if you could help me to clarify what to do next.

You can apply for your driving licence 56 days before your driving disqualification is due to expire (or 90 days before your driving disqualification is due to expire if you are classed as a high risk offender).

You can actually order the relevant form(s) to apply for your driving licence online here, and they will be delivered to you. Alternatively, yes you could possibly obtain the relevant form(s) from your local post office. If you are applying for a car, moped or motorcycle licence it will the D1 Pack that you will need.

I would recommend that you obtain the relevant forms yourself and send them off as soon as you are eligible to apply. Doing this will help you in getting your driving licence back quicker and hopefully before the expiration of your disqualification.

If you are classed as a high risk offender, the DVLA will write to you once your application is received & processed, they will provide you with contact details of the DVLA appointed doctor you must contact in order to arrange your medical. The sooner you do this, the quicker you are likely to receive your driving licence.

You can read more information on applying for your driving licence after disqualification here.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
thank you very much for your help, that was very useful information. I have applied for a pack and will send it out on the 6 of October , that's about 90 days before the expiry of my ban. So, i understand they will send the doctors name in my area after they receive and process my application? Will they provide several doctors in my area? ( I am just thinking about how I am going to get there if it is too far), will they have several options?

thank you very much for your help, that was very useful information. I have applied for a pack and will send it out on the 6 of October , that's about 90 days before the expiry of my ban. So, i understand they will send the doctors name in my area after they receive and process my application? Will they provide several doctors in my area? ( I am just thinking about how I am going to get there if it is too far), will they have several options?

Yes they will send you details of the closest available DVLA appointed doctor to your area. There has been people on this forum stating they have had to make quite lengthy round trips to get to and from the DVLA appointed doctor for the medical. I think if you live near to a town/city centre, with good public transport, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you to get there.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off