DVLA MEDICAL

Convicted Driver Insurance

Harney

Hi ALL

Just had my medical and have abstained from drinking for 9 weeks. Can anyone advise?

1: How likely am I to pass the CDT test and indeed the medical?
2: How long does it take for the DVLA to make a decision and issue your Driving Licence?

Kindest Regards

Harney

Hi ALL

Just had my medical and have abstained from drinking for 9 weeks. Can anyone advise?

1: How likely am I to pass the CDT test and indeed the medical?
2: How long does it take for the DVLA to make a decision and issue your Driving Licence?

Kindest Regards

Harney

Hi,

You should pass the CDT test, and most likely the medical, too. Just after my medical, the doctor said there was nothing he had put down on the form which would cause an issue, so I think you would have known if there was a problem with anything else. The blood has to be analysed within a few days, but then it takes much longer for the medical board to come to a decision - it is probably just the backlog they always seem to have. In my case I think it was about 4 weeks after the medical when they sent me my licence.
If you like, you can ask for the CDT result to ease your mind (give it a few days) - they may not give it over the phone, but if you write to them asking for it and sign the letter, I think they are obliged to tell you it.

Good luck

Peter.

Hi Peter

Did they contact your GP
Yes, but that was before I had the medical, as I was a high risk offender and also had alcohol withdrawal seizures due to dependency. I was totally upfront about all this when completed the questionnaire along with my application. Also I had to have at least 12 months alcohol free before applying - so I was not a typical case.
It seems from reading other cases that they will probably write to your doctor anyway, so it may be worth seeing him/her and forewarning them that they may be getting a letter.

Peter.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off