provisional licence returned but no mention of a medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

chin

Hi all. I was banned on 07/09/09 for 6 years and moved house since then. I reapplyed for my licence 2 weeks ago expecting a letter about the medical as i used my banned licence number and current plus old address on the application. But yesterday when i got home i had a letter with my provional licence in with a start date of 07/09/2015 which is correct. I was under the impresion that i wouldnt recive my provional back untill a medical had been passes. Is this normal?

Did you have a provisional licence before? You should not have to go back to provisional status for drink driving - unless the court ordered you to retake your test?
if you were in the high risk category (blew 88 or above, second conviction in 10 years or failed to supply) then you ARE required to submit to a medical before you get your licence back and this is a DVLA administrative mess up.
i expect it is tempting to take the licence at face value, but the problem will come at some point in the future when they realise their mistake and then require you to undertake the medical. This could be when you apply for your full licence, or indeed after that when you seek to renew it in 10 years time. They can still invoke the requirement for a medical.
at present, because you were banned before 1st June 2013, if you point out the need for a medical, you will be able to ask to be allowed to drive under s88 Road Traffic Act 1988 if the process stretches on beyond 7/9/15. This loophole has now been closed and it will probably mean that when at some point in the future they realise their mistake and then revoke your licence, you will not be able to use this loophole and will remain without a licence for weeks while you wait for the results.
Where are you at currently with alcohol consumption?

Did you have a provisional licence before? You should not have to go back to provisional status for drink driving - unless the court ordered you to retake your test?
if you were in the high risk category (blew 88 or above, second conviction in 10 years or failed to supply) then you ARE required to submit to a medical before you get your licence back and this is a DVLA administrative mess up.
i expect it is tempting to take the licence at face value, but the problem will come at some point in the future when they realise their mistake and then require you to undertake the medical. This could be when you apply for your full licence, or indeed after that when you seek to renew it in 10 years time. They can still invoke the requirement for a medical.
at present, because you were banned before 1st June 2013, if you point out the need for a medical, you will be able to ask to be allowed to drive under s88 Road Traffic Act 1988 if the process stretches on beyond 7/9/15. This loophole has now been closed and it will probably mean that when at some point in the future they realise their mistake and then revoke your licence, you will not be able to use this loophole and will remain without a licence for weeks while you wait for the results.
Where are you at currently with alcohol consumption?

I dont really drink at all anymore. 8 cans of carling a week maximum mostly after work mon-friday. When i recived my ban i was told i would need to takee a retest. And i think i blew 90 or just over on the breath test. I have no problems with taking the medical if i need to. I was just expecting to have a letter about that rather than my provisional back. I will try and ring the dvla at sone point this week and see if i need to do the medical if i can actuly get through to a person and not just the automated machine i got when i tryed to change address before i was banned. Thanks for your help

Chin, yes, go for it now because the amount you drink should be no barrier to passing the medical. You never know, they may put you through quickly because you have pointed out the mistake to them..... But in any case, if it is not resolved by the time you are due your licence beck, remember S88 RTA1988. !
Let us know how you get on.

Chin, yes, go for it now because the amount you drink should be no barrier to passing the medical. You never know, they may put you through quickly because you have pointed out the mistake to them..... But in any case, if it is not resolved by the time you are due your licence beck, remember S88 RTA1988. !
Let us know how you get on.

Thanks price. Will do

Just checked what my exact alcohol level was and it was 207 mg in blood and i belive your classed as high risk after 200mg? Is there any leyway on that or is it exactly 200 and above? And would anyone have an idea of how i can speak to a person at dvla rather than the automated service i keep getting no matter which option i choose. Ive never known it so hard to speak to a human being lol

Just spoke with the dvla and i dont requier a medical. But i do requier an extended retest which i knew anyway. So its saved me the cost of the medical. Thanks again for the help and quick response

DVLA are wrong! 200 or above (NO leeway) makes you a high risk offender and you require a medical. Also, how did you get a 6 year ban? May have been a bad accident (hence the need for an extended test) but also smacks of a second, or more, offence in 10 years, which also makes you high risk.....
i know this goes against the natural thoughts of "well if they are not bothered, I'm not" but you will be the person at some time in the future who will be off the road awaiting a medical when someone at DVLA eventually realises that you DO need a medical.
i would ring back and point out your reading, speaking to a supervisor if necessary, and get this resolved now.
i dealt with a case like this last year where they were adamant that a drink driver did not need a medical and eventually, after several emails, they admitted he did. This then ate into his time for completing the process and he was late getting his licence back.
if you search in this forum you will find posts from people who have been given their licence back and then years later been told by DVLA that they now have to do a medical!
if you get no joy from them, send me a PM with your details - name, date of birth and where you were banned - and I can try to clarify it for you.

Last edited:
The offence was causing death by carless driving while under the influence of alcohol. Which is as serious a deiving offence as it gets really. Thats why i was expecting a medical. The 207mg reading was what was wrote in the paper of my levels. So it might not be correct but it sounds right to me. Il dig out my court paperwork when i get back from work and double check what they were and will ring the dvla back once i have them. It was also my first/last offence driving or otherwise. And thanks again for the replys. Im trying to get this done right and above board first time so i dont have any problems in the future like you pointed out. And i did read afew other articles in this forum for people getting there licence revoked after 10+ years ao i dont want that to happen to me

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off