My honest medical countdown diary...

Convicted Driver Insurance

Millie

Hi, I was banned for 2 years, reduced to 18 months after going on the course. I was able to apply for my licence on 1 July. I sent the forms off on 14 July (there was a delay as I was waiting for info related to another medical condition I need to disclose, but which has no relevance to the drink stuff).

It is now 20 July, and I've not had any alcohol at all for 3 weeks. I am amazed I have managed and after the first few days I didn't miss it all that much. Before 1 July, I was drinking heavily and there is no way I'd have passed the test. My CDT would have been at least 3%, but likely way higher.

So, I was due to have a 'dummy' test today with a private dr, for my own peace of mind. Unfortunately, they couldn't get a vein as I was so nervous. I'm now going back next week (they've ordered a super thin needle!), so will have had no alcohol for 4 weeks. I'll get the result 2-3 days after that, and will then decide whether to put in for my DVLA test. I desperately hope I will be able to at that point, but it may be I need to wait a little longer. I think 6 weeks without should do it, so mid-August for the DVLA test, provided my dummy results aren't too shocking.

I'll keep you updated on my progress, so it may help any of you who are worried about the test and what to expect. I am very anxious, as not driving has been very hard for me for personal reasons, and I pretty much lost everything after my (deserved, I know) conviction. This is so important to me, I think I'm getting a bit too obsessed. Anyway, I should hopefully be finding out whether a full month's total abstinence is enough for a previously heavy drinker to pass the CDT test, and will let you know.

Update...

I had my private 'dummy' test on Tuesday and received the results today. My score was 1.7%.

The lab which ran my test classified this as a 'fail'. Their threshold is 1.6%, so I was just over. The lab didn't take into account the medication I take (no idea if this would have affected the result) or that I'm female (hormone levels do affect the result marginally I believe). So, on the one hand I was a bit disappointed.

That said, if these results are replicated in my DVLA test, this will be a pass, as it's under its 2.3% threshold. Happy days, provided I get a good GP report. Hopefully I will, as I haven't been to her with any alcohol issues.

I haven't arranged my medical yet with the DVLA. I sent my application off over 2 weeks ago, but haven't heard back. I'll give it until next week and then call. Does anyone know if I should have heard by now?

Many thanks.

So I just called the DVLA. My application was logged on 28 July. So just under 2 weeks after I sent it. I was told I will get a letter with dr details within 6 weeks. So by the middle of September!! (licence due back on 28 Sept...) No idea after that when dr's apt will be available. So the process drags on. Once they get blood results, they MAY write to my GP. But they may not I was told - it is not automatic. Likely they will, as I also have declared bipolar disorder, albeit fully controlled for a very long time. They will not contact my GP about the bipolar until after the alcohol blood results, so no doubt further delay here.

So, I am due my licence back on 28 September, but this will it seems almost certainly be delayed, perhaps by a couple of months. I find this galling and upsetting. I did the rehab course and I think these waits are very wrong. Yes I did wrong, but have paid the price and will continue to do so. The DVLA is understaffed in my view, and I don't see why we should pay the price for this. But as a drink driver, I obviously have not a leg to stand on as far as they are concerned.

But I'm on the home run and must hold tight and pray the process goes more quickly, and I tick all of the boxes!

Can anyone advise on how long they had to wait for a dr's apt after receiving the letter giving dr's details please?? I live in Kent/East Sussex.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off