dvla medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

jojo19

Hi

Some help please. I had issues with alcohol on and off for six years. Attended rehab beginning of last year for a month and luckily liver was ok. All was ok but went back on it due to life problems. Got done for dd last August with a reading of a 111. I have never done dd in 20 years of driving and thoroughly ashamed of myself and thankful no one was hurt. I have now stayed off thr booze by myself with no help and thankfully no withdrawal so hoping that means I'm not depandant. When I complete my medical, if my levels are ok but I declare I have done detox and issues before is that a definite no for me getting any kind of license back? Any help would be appreciated?

Hi there

First, well done on coming off - I know how hard it is!

As I understand it (and I'm about to have the medical myself), there are essentially 2 elements to the test (in addition to POSSIBLY a urine test and DEFINITELY a poke about around your liver etc). This is just what I think from my research - I may be wrong on some of it!!

1. Your blood is tested for CDT levels. These will be raised if you've been drinking heavily for 2-3 weeks, over around 10 units a day I think. After this, it takes 2 - 6 weeks for them to go back to normal. So my advice would be no booze at all for 6 weeks before the test. You can drink in moderation during this time, but in my case I think if I had one or two I'd likely have a lot more. If your levels are 2.2% or lower, you are compatible for licensing. Between 2.3 and 3%, you may be - they will investigate further. Over 3, you're pretty likely screwed, and you'll need another test, most likely in 6 months time.

2. They will contact your GP and will want to know if you've had any booze problems in the previous year (or 3 years, depending if your problem was abuse or dependence). So, in your case, your GP would disclose your rehab etc. I'm guessing that by the time you have the test, the rehab will have happened over a year before? That means - I think - they will weigh it all up and likely ask your GP's opinion (and your consultant's, if you have one).

Hope that helps. It's a long road (no pun intended), but a huge wake up call. In my case I needed one and hopefully it was the boot in the bum to stop killing myself slowly through the drink!

I'm sure your liver is ok. It was a few months ago, and they are miraculous things at healing!

My dummy run test was 1.7% - phew. But still not even had details of DVLA dr to go to, and ban meant to be up in a few weeks. So if I were you, apply as soon as, and keep off the booze!

Good luck and let me know how you're going. You're not alone! x

Thanks Millie for your assurances. I have read and re read this forum so many times and every story is different. I am already only expecting a 1 yr license at the best but it is better than nothing.

Well done on yr dummy run. How did u arrange it as I have looked on internet and they are mega expensive. Also worried it would show on my gp checks making my case worse in the fact I was concerned and had to check.

I'm going to start chasing from 16/12 to ensure I get contacted asap as the wait is long enough already Xx

Every story is different, but there is NO WAY you can fail the blood test if you don't drink. NO WAY AT ALL (unless you have a very rare illness indeed). It tests the half life of CDT, which is a chemical (or something) triggered by heavy alcohol consumption only in around the previous month. My 1.7% was actually a fail (1.6 shows little or no alcohol use in the previous month). But DVLA wants less than 2.3, so that's ok.

I actually hadn't had a drink for 30 days before the test. But the half life of CDT is around 14 days. So after that it tails off. My use had been EXTREMELY heavy before I stopped, so I guess would take a bit longer to tail off. 2 months should do it to get even lower - but given DVLA delays (grr!!!!), it looks like I'll have plenty of time. In fact, I've developed a bit of an alcohol phobia now. (Although I'm sure one drink would set me off sadly.)

I paid £110 for a private test. Pricey. But given my savings on the booze, I reckoned I could stretch to it. I did it privately as I didn't want it on my medical records. I specified my GP mustn't be told. I didn't want it to go against me, as you say.

If you stay off the drink, you won't fail the bloods. Your only problem may be the rehab. But let's face it, that may well have saved your life, or certainly a lot of grief for you. So it was worth it. It's rather depressing that getting help can work against you.

Have faith you'll get the year. You may well be pleasantly surprised. How long until you can apply? x

P.S. I applied in early July. they got my app at the end of July and say I could be looking at 6 weeks before I get details of GP. Then Lord only knows when I can get an appt. But there we go.

Thanks Millie. To be honest rehab made we worse. You r in an environment where no one drinks so for me it was easy but when u r home it is a different environment. Attending aa alone and not being able to drink socially depressed me so much I went back on it in secret thus the drink drive eventually happened. Before rehab I had never done that.

With the course I am doing in October I can get it back 16/3 next year so fingers crossed.

Good luck with yours xx

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off