3 months prison for knocking over road sign and failing to stop.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Routemaster

Hi
my neighbour was on his way home one night in March and took a corner too wide smashing a keep left post. He failed to stop and was caught on CCTV. He got arrested a few days later for 'failing to stop' and criminal damage. He has just been to magistrates court and got 3 months prison.

here are the facts:

He had not been drinking and has never done drugs.
he was within the speed limit
he has a clean driving licence
a clean criminal record
pleaded not guilty

is a prison sentence common for failing to stop? I though it would only apply if a person was injured or killed. This was only a road sign/post.

does anyone know about prison life? He has never been away from his parents home and they are very concerned about how he will cope with prison gangs and bullying as inmates need to join gangs for protection or so we heard. He is of low self esteem.

will he be put in a low security prison or just any prison with spaces available?

should he appeal or will that take longer than the 3 month sentence?

will he be released early for good behavior?

i really cant believe that you can get jail for failing to stop but maybe it was a tough magistrate.

Last edited:
I suspect that there is more to this story than you have mentioned. What part of the country is this in?
It is possible to be sent to prison for failing to stop after an accident, the maximum is 6 months prison and 5 to 10 points on his licence.
For a non injury, one vehicle accident, with no aggravating circumstances and no previous I would be amazed if this resulted in a custodial sentence.
On what basis did he plead not guilty if he was caught on CCTV?
Was he legally represented? If so, his solicitor should put in an appeal against the sentence - it has to be done within 28 days of being sentenced.
He will only serve half of the 3 months and would be assessed on his arrival which should pick up and emotional issues. What age is he? that would show if he was going to a prison or a young offenders institute.

hiya routemaster.
I will try to answer some of your questions (and obvious worries). The first thing would be the prison sentence your neighbour has received. Im not sure if the solicitor told his parents but he will serve half of his 3 month sentence automatically approx 6 weeks. secondly i have served numerous prison sentences some actually rather big, were talking years not weeks, i am not telling you this because i think its good im telling you this because i want you to understand that i know about the prison system..... It seems you have taken too much television into your thoughts about prison, i am not mocking you it is believable what the t.v shows, but that is what t.v is all about eh?? Let me put your mind at ease by saying u.k prisons are NOTHING like what you see on t.v and certainly nothing like the states where you say in you post you have to join a gang.... Believe me when i say this there is no shower activity and im sure you know what i mean!!! homosexual activity is NOT tolerated in local prisons, it does go on in max security but it all behind closed doors and mainly concentual!! When you first go to the local prison they are not nice and he will go on an induction wing, most are very dirty as no one looks after the cells as they know they are only staying days!! and some are filthy!!! once he is accessed the prison will allocate him a wing to recide on it will be a lot cleaner, most cons are O.C.D when it comes to where they live. He will be fine in my eyes and bullys are not tolerated and if he keeps his head down he will be ok.... Regards appealing he has 28 days to do it and it takes longer as i have done it but if he has never been in trouble before he does not deserve this sentence and an appeal would be succsessfull in my eye but i think he has maybe beeen in front of the local magistrate before and it has built up to the point where the magistrate has got too his breaking point like they did with me 15 years ago, i could be wrong ??? if you need anymore advive pls contact me on here, i will be on at noon tomorow (29/05). best of luck. BUFFALOBILL.........

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off