Applying for license 12 years after ban???

Convicted Driver Insurance

Robjp

Hello. Wondered if anyone could shed any light on this.

I have been banned from driving twice. Both for drink driving. The 1st offence was in 99 which I was given a year ban. The second was in 2003 where I received a 3 year ban. After the latest ban was up, I did the DVLA medical and failed. Looking back it was no surprise and I shouldn't of really been on the roads. I didn't bother reapplying.

Fast forward 12 years I have decided to go through the process again and have sent off to the DVLA for my license. I am in a much better place than I was 12 years ago and shouldn't have any problems passing a medical.

However, reading around on the internet it would seem that you are only classed as high risk for 10 years. Does this mean a medical won't be needed?

Hello. Wondered if anyone could shed any light on this.

I have been banned from driving twice. Both for drink driving. The 1st offence was in 99 which I was given a year ban. The second was in 2003 where I received a 3 year ban. After the latest ban was up, I did the DVLA medical and failed. Looking back it was no surprise and I shouldn't of really been on the roads. I didn't bother reapplying.

Fast forward 12 years I have decided to go through the process again and have sent off to the DVLA for my license. I am in a much better place than I was 12 years ago and shouldn't have any problems passing a medical.

However, reading around on the internet it would seem that you are only classed as high risk for 10 years. Does this mean a medical won't be needed?

You are classed as a high risk offender and are required to take a medical if you are convicted of a relevant drink driving related offence and disqualified twice within a 10 year period. Once you are classed as a high risk offender, you need to take and pass a DVLA medical before your driving licence will be returned. Your high risk offender status does not expire after a certain period of time (in your case, 12 years). Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I thought it looked to good to be true.

I've had the application returned to me as it was incomplete and they needed a recent photo, which I have sent back. There was no mention of a medical though. I could be getting on with that while they process my application.

My own fault for missing a section on the form I guess

Ok, any advise to this would be great.

i sent an aplicatcation of to the DVLA around 5 weeks ago. I was expecting to get a letter about going for a medical.

However, I rung the DVLA today as I haven't heard anything from them and the guy on the phone has told me that they have sent me a DR1 (questionnaire) to fill in and return. is this normal ?

Ok, any advise to this would be great.

i sent an aplicatcation of to the DVLA around 5 weeks ago. I was expecting to get a letter about going for a medical.

However, I rung the DVLA today as I haven't heard anything from them and the guy on the phone has told me that they have sent me a DR1 (questionnaire) to fill in and return. is this normal ?

Hi,

From my experience last year the DVLA seem to do things in a certain order which is not efficient, and there are weeks between each correspondence. You will get this form, fill it in, and return it. Eventually, they will write back and most likely say they are writing to your GP for more information (they seem to do this whatever you put on the questionnaire). Hopefully your GP will reply back to them and say you are fine, and then you wait some more, and eventually they will say they require you to attend a medical (which you know, and could have had it done by now). Arranging the medical and having it is probably the quickest bit. The doctor there and then goes through the exact same questionnaire with you that you have sent back to the DVLA (so why bother doing it). Then you are waiting for the medical board of the DVLA to decide if your CDT result is OK and so on, and then they write back to you in a few weeks more to tell you, hopefully, the good news. It all took about 4 and a half months for me, from sending the form off, but I was totally honest about my last drink after being dependent on alcohol (which meant I had to abstain for 1 year) and they were probably being ultra cautious, so yours should be quicker, I hope.

Best of luck

Peter

Last edited:
Yeah. They don't like to make it easy for you do they. I asked the guy if it was possible to arrange a medical in the meantime, to speed things up but he said no as he wasn't sure if I had to do one. Which is strange to say the least. He also said I could download the for. Of the Internet and send it back if I wanted.

Guess I'll just wait and keep ringing them

Right, due to my personal circumstances I've managed to get things sped up a bit. And the DVLA have kindly agreed to make my application a priority.

I faxed through my questioaire on Monday and I had to ring then today to see the progress. They have now wrote to my doctor for my medical records. There shouldn't be anything in there which should cause them alarm.

What are people's experiences when dealing with GPs? Am I better going to see him before the DVLA letter lands on his desk?

Or is it a case of what will be, will be?

Right, due to my personal circumstances I've managed to get things sped up a bit. And the DVLA have kindly agreed to make my application a priority.

I faxed through my questioaire on Monday and I had to ring then today to see the progress. They have now wrote to my doctor for my medical records. There shouldn't be anything in there which should cause them alarm.

What are people's experiences when dealing with GPs? Am I better going to see him before the DVLA letter lands on his desk?

Or is it a case of what will be, will be?

I told my doctor that the DVLA would be writing to him, but then I was never away from the surgery :). I got on quite well with him, and he knew my personal situation with the alcohol, and how I was winning the battle and all that. So I felt like he may be on my side and give me a favourable reply to them. If you haven't been there for a while (which is good), then I think it wouldn't do any harm to explain why this letter will arrive, and that you feel that there is no reason why you shouldn't have your licence back. Sometimes, you can speak to them over the phone to save you the journey.

Good luck,

Peter

Okay, a little update on my progress of my application.

I am now told that I can book my medical and have 6 weeks to do so.

The DVLA have already contacted my GP about my medical history. Am i right to assume that there are no concerns as they have sent me for a medical?

My drinking history over the last 10 weeks have included a full month off alcohol. In the past 4 weeks I have consumed 4 pints 6 times and have always have 2-3 days free from alcohol. I will not be having a drink now until I have completed the medical.

I have the doctor ringing me next week to make an appointment, with the earliest being the 20th August.

So my question is, Will this be too soon? or should I abstain for 4 weeks like many say you should?

OK, I guess. Doctor didn't give much away.

Blood test, eye exam then give me the once over. He filled out his part of the questionnaire which just involved him ticking all the 'No' boxes. Don't know what it said on his form though.

He did say there was a backlog and I won't hear anything for a month. I'll give them a week and then give them a call.

I thought i would feel better after the medical, but the waiting is driving me insane!!! and its only been 5 days!!

Too early to ring them, you think?

OK, I couldn't wait any longer. I had to ring them.

My license was issued this morning and should be with me with in a week.

Absolutely over the moon !!!

Had my medical first week in Aug, still not heard from them so phoned end of last week, was informed it takes about a month and if I had`nt heard anything in a fortnight to phone them back.Did`nt have any alcohol for 8 weeks to the day prior to the medical so currently in limbo wondering what`going to happen.

They told me that there was a back log of applications. The doctor told me it would i wouldn't hear anything for a month.

I managed to get mine fast tracked as I need to get my son backwards and forwards to hospital, which is a 80 mile round trip. Sometimes on a daily basis.

OK, I couldn't wait any longer. I had to ring them.

My license was issued this morning and should be with me with in a week.

Absolutely over the moon !!!

Wow, that is impressive. Of course that shows how quick it CAN be done. They obviously saw no need to check with your doctor, but even then it was very quick.
pleased for you!

They actually checked with my doctor before the medical.

Anyone know how long it takes for the DVLA to update there online records?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off