countdown

Convicted Driver Insurance
Status
Not open for further replies.

ellen1

Ok guys, i have now about 7 months to go. well its 7.5 but now i will count 7. Is anybody else counting? post here. :)
but the trouble is, i am now at the very low point. I am still counting but it's like I don't care any more. Of cause I'd like to have half an hour journey to work as opposed to 1.5 hour. Of cause I'd like to forget about the buses that stink and do not come in time and go through the worst route ever. But I am now not even sure about driving. I'd have to sort out the insurance and the new car. And i'd have to get used to driving again. The punishment was too much, I have already done almost a year and now 7 moths still to go. And dont give me that:its your fault. Do not judge me, cause you did same mistake. I dont need your judgement. I am just telling i am not coping very well. My depression has spiralled out of control. and i actually drink more than i did before. Of cause i'll stop before medical, and when i get my car. But at the moment i am at the lowest of my lows....

Iv`e one more module to do on the rehab course looking to be back August / September so around 4-5 months to go.
The guy that`s running the course reckons insurance costs will double as a rule?
To be honest reading some of the insurance quotes on here that other members have put up that sounds very unlikely indeed.
I was paying £230 fully comp with all the bells & tassels, to just double that would be a dream for me.
That is my main concern at the moment.
As for yourself try to just take one day at a time & keep plugging away you will be surprised how quick the time passes.
My journey to work used to be just short of 20 mins, it takes 2 hours to get in now on bus as I need to take a different route then wait half an hour for my next connection.
Been doing this since August last year, got a 15 month ban which will be reduced to 12 after the course, take care, you have my best wishes.

I too am counting down the days to go. Just over a month, I have sorted insurance (which ironically was less than my last years policy without a conviction, I guess having a non modified car does help that), and have been fixing up a car I bought at the beginning of the year that needed a few bits doing to it, which has kept me busy on Sunday's. (It's also on private land so I have got my fix of driving a little, too).

the ten months has passed very quickly, and it does get easier, I bought a nice bicycle and got back into cycling so my work commute is sometimes quicker than it was in a car. Your insurance will probably not be as much as you think, mine was pricy for my age, but it is for an import car, and I have a few claims and 0 no claims discount.

The best thing to do is just keep your chin up, and Try your best to keep positive. It will be over before you know it. :)

Hi everyone, I'm 4 months into my 9 month ban on Friday so I'm counting the days too. It is difficult but it can be done. I miss the silly things with driving such as just popping to the shops but on the plus I'm less stressed using the bus or walking. I watch the cars and people seem so tense. I actually enjoyed the dd course and found out so much. I missed it after it finished as it helped me to talk to others. I still find it all surreal sometimes but it's done now and we all have to move on. I am worried about my insurance too but I'm hoping with 17 years no claims etc it will help. I also worry about my enhanced disclosure which is due again next year but will cross that bridge when I come to it. Time does fly, we just need to make adjustments in life. Take care :)

I work in an environment where an enhanced disclosure is required also.
Thankfully, I took the decision to tell them straight away as not long after my conviction all of the staff were re-assessed by disclosure Scotland.
There was no problem, the driving convictions showed up as expected but because my job does not involve driving, I work with kids, it was fine.
Finished my rehab course today.
Id be interested to know what recent insurance premiums have been for members just getting back on the road?

Last edited:
i have 7 months guys and it sucks. but i guess its better than it was before. after all i have done a year.
i am confused about my insurance. i might have to start another thread for that. i got paid in full for my car that was totalled. no question asked. well i was only paying about £20 a month to double it is nothing. also i got a letter saying that my no claim was protected. obviously i was paying something extra to protect my no claim, so does it mean i still have no claim?

Ellen,
yes, if you have protected no claims then it is just that, protected. What normally happens is that you would be reduced 2 years if you have another claim in the next 2 years or so. Of course the premiums go up anyway.....

My no claims was protected also, there was another vehicle involved however so not sure how that will work out?
I was paid for my own vehicle which was written off, but have not had any contact from my previous insurers from last August as regards to the other party or any claims made on the policy?
Notice on many of the insurance quote sites on here that they ask how many claims you have against you & they want details of no claims bonus etc.
Take it I will need to get in touch with them to get this information as I have heard nothing from them?
My policy was cancelled by them straight away after the accident.

Walter,
they also want to know if you have ever had a policy cancelled.... And that can prove to be costly when you tell them you have!
You will have to get the previous no claims from them in writing as this is usually sent at renewal time, which hasn't happened because of the cancellation.

Thanks Price1367
Not good news re - the cancellation, I will get in touch with my previous insurers at some point in the coming months.
It would be helpful to hear from any member that has similar circumstances to my own then tried to get insured again thereafter as to costs etc.
If insurance costs are too high however I may give up my job in August, a car would`nt be essential then.

Ok guys, i have now about 7 months to go. well its 7.5 but now i will count 7. Is anybody else counting? post here. :)
but the trouble is, i am now at the very low point. I am still counting but it's like I don't care any more. Of cause I'd like to have half an hour journey to work as opposed to 1.5 hour. Of cause I'd like to forget about the buses that stink and do not come in time and go through the worst route ever. But I am now not even sure about driving. I'd have to sort out the insurance and the new car. And i'd have to get used to driving again. The punishment was too much, I have already done almost a year and now 7 moths still to go. And dont give me that:its your fault. Do not judge me, cause you did same mistake. I dont need your judgement. I am just telling i am not coping very well. My depression has spiralled out of control. and i actually drink more than i did before. Of cause i'll stop before medical, and when i get my car. But at the moment i am at the lowest of my lows....

If your that depressed you may find it beneficial to go to the docs and get some anti-depressants.

[This post has been edited. Ryan, while you have your own views on matters, please have a little more empathy with others and be a little more tactful in your replies. Everyone deals with situations differently and this forum is not just for discussing the legal and technical aspects of drink driving convictions. It is a place where people can give and receive help and support throughout the entire process from beginning to end (finally being back on the road)]

Last edited by a moderator:
i have 7 months guys and it sucks. but i guess its better than it was before. after all i have done a year.
i am confused about my insurance. i might have to start another thread for that. i got paid in full for my car that was totalled. no question asked. well i was only paying about £20 a month to double it is nothing. also i got a letter saying that my no claim was protected. obviously i was paying something extra to protect my no claim, so does it mean i still have no claim?
how did you claim for your car if you was drink driving.. im fairly sure 99% of them will not payout for a drink driver. unless you lied to them

how did you claim for your car if you was drink driving.. im fairly sure 99% of them will not payout for a drink driver. unless you lied to them

I was asked by my insurance company after the accident if I wanted to claim for my car & was paid out, also the 3rd party, which I was pleasantly surprised about.
Got in touch with my old insurance company today for details of no-claims etc to pass onto any prospective new insurer, they informed me I have 9 yrs no claims as they were protected at the time of the accident.
They said they would be sending out a letter to that affect today.
Thought the no claims would be rendered obsolete as my policy was cancelled by them as I was at fault, but that`s where I stand at the moment.

Last edited:
Children, children, we should be here to be constructive. If you want to score points against each other, go here: http://www.sroaudiences.com/application.asp?show_id=914
lots of points to score against the opposition..............

thanks for that, a tad surprised to be honest however if you follow the threads the lovely ryan in his wisdom and experience has had something to say at my every post. But its alright, never have I had such a following!!

thanks for that, a tad surprised to be honest however if you follow the threads the lovely ryan in his wisdom and experience has had something to say at my every post. But its alright, never have I had such a following!!

Get over yourself love.

Get over yourself love.
On that note I will not be logging in again, this forum has ran its course. I hope in the future people will gain the ability to accept the difference of opinion and to respect people's points of view. I accept it may not always be right but freedom of speech is what it is, the right to voice your opinion without fear or being ridiculed or mocked. I have moved on positively and I hope one day you all do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off