2nd dvla medical hell

Convicted Driver Insurance

ouchie32

Hi every one okay I'm just wondering if any one has perhaps gone though a similar situation to what I find my self in at the moment , 3 years ago this October I came out of a successful alcohol rehab detox , last year I was given a one year driving licence. All my blood tests was normal apart from gamma gt witch was 120 and I had the cdt test as well that came back at 0.1 witch I know is good ,

okay one year on a month ago I had a liver function test and every think come back as normal but gamma gt level was 151 , in my eyes and the doctors this was a good start in preparation for the dvla medical as I would only need to get 120 on the gamma gt being the same result as when I passed a year ago, so with out drinking any think for 5 weeks he wanted me to re do the test but at the same time as being given the test results of 151 I had to start medication witch is a anti psychotic , I have just had the re test done on my gamma gt and it was 212 , my jaw hit the ground , my doctor has looked into the medication and its know to rase gamma gt levels ,

I have just got a letter with questionnaire witch i know is the start of the new medical my doctor is happy to write a letter saying my gamma gt levels are up because of this medication when I have to take the medical but my question is if I pass all the other blood tests alt cdt etc but fail on the gamma gt will this letter from my doctor be good enough to say I'm not bag at the beer and its the medication that has caused this the gamma gr to rise ?

many thanks in advance! Ouchie32

That is why the liver function test has been replaced by the CDT test.
the CDT test is much more specific to alcohol abuse, and should therefore NOT be affected by medication. You could ask your doctor to do another test, but make sure it is for CDT, not any of the other LFT tests. It is the CDT result that DVLA will rely on for a decision.

That is why the liver function test has been replaced by the CDT test.the CDT test is much more specific to alcohol abuse, and should therefore NOT be affected by medication. You could ask your doctor to do another test, but make sure it is for CDT, not any of the other LFT tests. It is the CDT result that DVLA will rely on for a decision.
Thanks for the reply ! I don't know that much about the cdt test but do you know how far it can look back ? I'll book in for that test on Monday ! Kind regards Ouchie32

The CDT test will usually normalise with 4-6 weeks of sensible drinking - 21-28 units per week.
a CDT result under 2.3% is deemed to be fine.

The CDT test will usually normalise with 4-6 weeks of sensible drinking - 21-28 units per week.a CDT result under 2.3% is deemed to be fine.
Okay that's good to know ! So being my second medical and being give only a one year driving license last time , what are the chances of getting my licence back for good this time or does it go 2 year then 3 year etc ?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off