DVLA Medical & Contacting my GP

Convicted Driver Insurance

dai4913

Sorry this isn't a reply but I couldn't see where to post a new thread.

I have recently had a drink driving medical and they have come back and said that they need to discuss things further with my GP before making a final decision. I'm a fit healthy 24 year old that goes to the gym 5 times a week and plays rugby every Saturday. I don't drink often probably once a month if that, i last drunk 2 months before my medical exam. I hold down a a good job for a medical company and don't rely on alcohol at all..

I'm confused to why they have to discuss with my gp first as I'm an extremely healthy person. It doesn't make sense to me?

Also I feel this test needs to be changed because if you drink 1 pint a day you'll be over the limit at one point everyday yet still pass the medical. Where if you don't drink at all but then have one heavy night out for a birthday or something 3 months before then this flags up on the medical, even though you'll be over the limit for less time.

Basically I wan to know what they'll be discussing with my gp before i get my license back?

Sorry this isn't a reply but I couldn't see where to post a new thread.

I have recently had a drink driving medical and they have come back and said that they need to discuss things further with my GP before making a final decision. I'm a fit healthy 24 year old that goes to the gym 5 times a week and plays rugby every Saturday. I don't drink often probably once a month if that, i last drunk 2 months before my medical exam. I hold down a a good job for a medical company and don't rely on alcohol at all..

I'm confused to why they have to discuss with my gp first as I'm an extremely healthy person. It doesn't make sense to me?

Also I feel this test needs to be changed because if you drink 1 pint a day you'll be over the limit at one point everyday yet still pass the medical. Where if you don't drink at all but then have one heavy night out for a birthday or something 3 months before then this flags up on the medical, even though you'll be over the limit for less time.

Basically I wan to know what they'll be discussing with my gp before i get my license back?

Hi,

To answer your question: They dont need any particular reason to write to your GP - the fact that you are a "High Risk" offender is enough for them to consult your GP.

Essentially you have nothing to worry about UNLESS at some point in the past 6 months to a year you have been to see your GP about alcohol misuse or dependency.

If your GP notes do not mention anything of the sort - they will give you the green light and issue the licence.

I hope this puts your mind at ease somewhat.

As for your drinking habits in the run up to the medical - you will be fine. I did not drink for 6 weeks before my medical (the most i had was 5 pints of shandy across a 5 hour period in those 6 weeks) and passed with flying colours.

I received my licence just 2 weeks after doing my medical - however I know many can wait for up to 12 weeks.

Whilst you are waiting for the results you may be eligible to drive under "The Road Trafic Act 1988" - regardless of the outcome but ONLY if you were disqualified before the 1st of June 2013.

Good luck buddy.

Cheers James for your reply.

I have only ever been to the Doctors because of Hayfever so my doctor will have nothing of any use.

I waited 2 weeks and had a letter back from the DVLA (saying they need to speak with my doctor) instead of my license this making me think that they have picked something up in my medical?

I would of definitely exceeded 12 units as it was my birthday night out end of January.

Is what you're saying official DVLA information? If so then i will be able to relax.

Cheers James for your reply.

I have only ever been to the Doctors because of Hayfever so my doctor will have nothing of any use.

I waited 2 weeks and had a letter back from the DVLA (saying they need to speak with my doctor) instead of my license this making me think that they have picked something up in my medical?

I would of definitely exceeded 12 units as it was my birthday night out end of January.

Is what you're saying official DVLA information? If so then i will be able to relax.

DVLA CDTs have these limits:

GREEN - %CDT < 2.2%
A CDT level of less than 2.2% is considered to be in the normal range and indicates no excessive alcohol intake. A person whose CDT level falls within this range is identified as consuming little or no alcohol and is compatible for licensing.
AMBER - %CDT = 2.3 - 2.9%
A CDT level of between 2.3% to 2.9% is considered to be indicative of possible problematic alcohol consumption. A person whose CDT levels fall within this range is identified as someone who may drink to excess or binge drinks regularly and will trigger further enquiries with that persons general practitioner (GP) before a licensing decision is made.
RED - %CDT > 3%
A CDT level greater than 3% is considered to be indicative of alcohol consumption in a dependent manner. A person whose CDT levels fall within this range is identified as someone who is dependent on alcohol and a license will be refused.

You wont get the RED based on your drinking habits.

So the options left are AMBER & GREEN.

Even if your CDT results have come under the GREEN bracket - they can still decide to write your GP.

If it's AMBER - same applies.

All they would ask of your GP is a run down of anything in your medical notes which refers to alcohol dependency, withdrawal symptoms, misuse etc etc.

I actually ended up requesting an appointment with the GP Practice Manager to go through my medical record before going the DVLA Medical to put my mind at ease. It's FREE to do.

The only other factor which influences them to write to your GP is the medical questionnaire you did with the DVLA doctor.

Did you tick YES on any of the boxes relating to "memory loss after drinking" etc etc?? - I cant recall of them. That could also prompt them to write to your GP.

I honestly don't think you have much to worry about.

Yes I did say that i have suffered memory loss in the past while drinking (to be honest i think everyone has) its not something that happens often but i answered all questions honestly. I said this last happened maybe around Christmas time.

Also i said yes to smoking Cannabis, this was because i went to Amsterdam for new Years with my partner.

Another one of my concerns is that i'm in the middle of attempting to sue my Doctor as he miss-diagnosed me. He is fully aware of my dissatisfaction as i wrote him a letter of complaint.

My GP would have to back anything he said up with evidence though right?

Yes I did say that i have suffered memory loss in the past while drinking (to be honest i think everyone has) its not something that happens often but i answered all questions honestly. I said this last happened maybe around Christmas time.

Also i said yes to smoking Cannabis, this was because i went to Amsterdam for new Years with my partner.

Another one of my concerns is that i'm in the middle of attempting to sue my Doctor as he miss-diagnosed me. He is fully aware of my dissatisfaction as i wrote him a letter of complaint.

My GP would have to back anything he said up with evidence though right?

Do not be concerned about the negative relationship with your GP. He/She is a professional and will not act in anyway prejudice towards you in this case or any others.

Moving on though to the "Memory Loss & Cannabis".

I'm 99% sure this is why the DVLA has decided to contact your GP.

HOWEVER - once again - unless your notes state you have been advised or seen your GP about concerns of misuse, dependency, damage to self or others through drink or drugs etc - YOU WILL BE FINE.

It's good that you answered the questions honestly.

As for the 12 units you had in Jan - again, your age being 24, your healthy lifestyle and lack of drink since then - nothing to worry about (i'm 27 BTW - very similar to your drinking and exercise patterns)

Let me know if you need anything else buddy - I was banned a total of 3 years in the end so most thoughts & concerns have been through my mind which I can relate to.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off