Getting my licence back

Convicted Driver Insurance

seadog

Hi all

I sent in my D2 form last week as i was informed i needed to do this as i held an HGV 1 licence
The question is i dont really need and dont think i will get back my heavy goods and really am only interested in my car licence, however I do need to do a medical as im classed as high risk, how long will all this take?? any input would be great thanks.

Hi all

I sent in my D2 form last week as i was informed i needed to do this as i held an HGV 1 licence
The question is i dont really need and dont think i will get back my heavy goods and really am only interested in my car licence, however I do need to do a medical as im classed as high risk, how long will all this take?? any input would be great thanks.

Hi seadog i,ve just been through exactly the same thing and did get my HGV class 1 back and had to do the DVLA medical. Is this your first offence and when did you get banned i can then clear up those questions. How old are you do you require the medical for HGV every 5 years like me. when does ban end will be able to help when i know a few more details regards Paul

Hi Paul

well im ashamed to say its my 3rd dr10 , It all started when I lost my business had a breakdown and drank for 2 years (got done twice whilst banned).. I am 42 and my 4 year ban is up on the 4th of april 2015 .
Im T total now and just want to get driving a car agian.
I have spent 6 years banned up to yet.
Just wanting to put a time scale on things as cant find any info anywhere

Hi Paul

well im ashamed to say its my 3rd dr10 , It all started when I lost my business had a breakdown and drank for 2 years (got done twice whilst banned).. I am 42 and my 4 year ban is up on the 4th of april 2015 .
Im T total now and just want to get driving a car agian.
I have spent 6 years banned up to yet.
Just wanting to put a time scale on things as cant find any info anywhere

ok first thing first. As for the HGV entitlement being 42 you will need to have a doctors medical as once 40 you have to have an HGV medical every 5 yrs i,ve just had mine. if you decide to go for your HGV you will need to get a D4 form from DVLA and have the medical with your GP mine cost £102. Before you do that i,d advise you talk to the Traffic Commissioners Office who deals with your area to find their views on you applying for the licence as they take a dim view on repeat offenders but that doesn,t mean to say you won,t be allowed to apply. Secondly being a HRO which i assume you are you will receive a letter asking you to take a medical with a DVLA appointed doctor in your area when the letter arrives it will give you the practice location and tell you to make an appointment no earlier than 4 days after receiving the letter and in any case no more than 8 weeks i think. The DVLA medical is £98.00 possibly plus vat but i wasn,t charged vat. I will tell you now they don,t rush at DVLA so be prepared for some tooing and throwing i,d say you,ll be atleast another 2 months from time of medical to DVLA making a decision and i assume they will contact your GP as they contacted mine and it just delays things. i got my medical done 6 weeks before my ban ended in january 2015 and didn,t get my licence back till 03.03.2015 i guess a few months after a 4 year ban won,t be too much of a pain .Let me know how you get on or if i can help with any more info just shout Paul

Omg rang dvla to ask how long it will take to get my medical and they said I can drive now while I wait.. Something to do with a law passed in June 2013.

Sea dog,
no, it's to do with a loophole that was closed in 2013.....
if a person was disqualified before 1st June 2013 and needs a medical, so long as am application has been made for the medical then the person can drive pending the outcome of the medical, providing that the period of your ban has run out. You should get confirmation that you are OK from DVLA in writing. The authority is under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. Note that you still need confirmation from the Traffic Commissioner before you can drive any HGV as this is a separate applicationu and they do not normally recognise S88.
it was clearly a nonsense.... "You are a high risk offender and have to pass a medical at the end of your ban to show that you are fit to go back on the road, oh, but, while we are waiting for the outcome of the medical to see if you are fit, you are allowed to drive....." They finally closed that loophole on 1st June 2013 for any convictions on or after that date.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off