Too early for medical?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Bear36

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Hi I am coming to end of my 6mth disqualification period for being drunk in charge of vehicle with excess alcohol on breath. I sent off my application last week only for it to be returned on Monday stating I am high risk offender and have to attend medical ! I am quite nervous bout this as I am depending on getting my licence back as I am a hgv driver and my livelihood depends on it. I had been drinking heavy (every night 6-8 beer) up until October last year and since then I have cut down to fri sat and Sunday! I have no alcohol now in 1 week and I am wondering how long I would now need to be alcohol free in order to pass the medical! Will a few weeks be sufficient or would I need longer, I have also started taking. 300mg milk thistle twice daily. I have been to my gp Monday who took my bloods just to see what way my liver function is and I'm getting those results this afternoon. Also if I get my licence back will my hgv entitlements be automatically reinstated. I'm in Northern Ireland.[/FONT]

How did the medical end up going, Bear?

Hi I am coming to end of my 6mth disqualification period for being drunk in charge of vehicle with excess alcohol on breath. I sent off my application last week only for it to be returned on Monday stating I am high risk offender and have to attend medical ! I am quite nervous bout this as I am depending on getting my licence back as I am a hgv driver and my livelihood depends on it. I had been drinking heavy (every night 6-8 beer) up until October last year and since then I have cut down to fri sat and Sunday! I have no alcohol now in 1 week and I am wondering how long I would now need to be alcohol free in order to pass the medical! Will a few weeks be sufficient or would I need longer, I have also started taking. 300mg milk thistle twice daily. I have been to my gp Monday who took my bloods just to see what way my liver function is and I'm getting those results this afternoon. Also if I get my licence back will my hgv entitlements be automatically reinstated. I'm in Northern Ireland.

I'm still waiting on an appointment, my ban was up on 29th march, and I've only received a letter saying my application is with the medical dept and they will be in touch with an app shortly! Any idea his long it takes to get an app?

A mate who has just got the books back said it took 4 weeks to get an appointment - think it depends a lot on the time of year, i.e. loads of people get busted at Xmas, so they have a long waiting list 9 months later!
Did you have a LFT with your own doctor, and did it turn out OK? Quite a big drinker myself, and just wondering how long I need to lay off the booze for before the medical - the rest of the UK get away with an easy (CDT) test, you can stop drinking 3 weeks before, but I think a LFT (which they use here in NI) shows a lot more "history" if you can call it that!

I'm still waiting on an appointment, my ban was up on 29th march, and I've only received a letter saying my application is with the medical dept and they will be in touch with an app shortly! Any idea his long it takes to get an app?

Do you know if other driving entitlements ie hgv will be automatically reinstated if I pass my medical? Yes my lft was normal with gp which I was surprised as I have been a heavy drinker (8 tins beer nightly) up until October, since October I've just been drinking weekends but still 8-9 tins so I thought my lfts would have been messed up! I've been off booze now since middle march so I'm hoping il pass ok! Have u applied for your licence yet?

I'm not sure if you'll automatically get your HGV entitlement back - I know the DVLNI don't even give you your motorbike licence back, if you had that - not sure about HGVs. Do you have to take your driving test (car) again, as a High Risk Offender? I think that might be the decider? Good news on the LFTS though!

Do you know if other driving entitlements ie hgv will be automatically reinstated if I pass my medical? Yes my lft was normal with gp which I was surprised as I have been a heavy drinker (8 tins beer nightly) up until October, since October I've just been drinking weekends but still 8-9 tins so I thought my lfts would have been messed up! I've been off booze now since middle march so I'm hoping il pass ok! Have u applied for your licence yet?

Well, that's not too bad - you could have waited a lot longer! If you don't have to resit your test I think you keep all your entitlements - but you might have trouble getting work with a fresh ban on your record?

Hi I have just been through the worst 3 weeks of my life waiting on the results of my medical, I looked at these forums but could bever find anyone who was like me who actually passed it. I passed yesterday after staying off alcohol for 10 days, previously I drank approx 1 bottle of wine and 4-5 beers every Friday and Saturday and the occasional drink in a Wednesday night. I was worried I would be classed as misusing alcohol and after reading that people where staying away from alcohol for months at a time I was really worried. I just hope this post can put some people's mind at ease as this is the exact thing I had been looking for the past few weeks. Apologies for the long post and good luck

Hi Jamie, I'm glad I've read got post. Puts my mind at ease a little. What were you CDT results?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off