Worried about loosing my licence

Convicted Driver Insurance

jimdavis

Banned
Hi Chaps,

I am quite a heavy drinker but I never drink and drive.
I drink quite a few cans of lager at home during the evening.
Being retired and no need to get up for work, I don't drive again until the next day
at around four in the afternoon. I therefore know for certain that I am well below the
limit and probaby at a zero alcohol level. OK, no problem there.
However, I have heard that if I was to have a routine blood test at my Doctor's they may
discover abnormal liver function due to my alcohol consumption which would result in
my driving licence being revoked even though I never drink and drive.
Is this correct?
I have read that I would be classed as a "high risk offender" despite not being an offender.
Is this correct?
Any test on my liver function that is blamed on acohol consumption doesn't prove that I am
a danger on the roads as I never drink and drive.

It may depend on what lager you are drinking!
What is your tipple, what is the can size and how many do you drink in a typical night?

Thanks for replying Mr Price.
Well I usually drink Stella lager and consume four or five 440ml cans per evening.
This being well above the government guidelines for safe alcohol consumption, I assume
that my liver must be in a dreadful state.
Anyway, back to my original point. Can I loose my licence after having a routine blood test
that shows abnormal liver function due to alcohol consumption despite never drinking and driving?

I asked about your alcohol consumption because you mentioned drinking 'quite a few' cans per night.
What you drink, at 5 cans per night, amounts to 77 units per week, which is into the 'significant risk' category.
Having said that, if you do not drive until 4pm the next day then it would not affect your driving.

As to your question about if you can lose your licence, without being convicted of drink driving, the answer is 'yes you can'.
Your GP has guidance as to what is notifiable to DVLA where there is an alcohol problem. You can read that guidance here:
http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/5-alcohol-and-drug-misuse-and-dependence-dvla-guide
So you have to ask yourself if your drinking comes under the category of 'Alcohol Misuse' or 'Alcohol Dependency.'
if it does, then you may have a problem. I cannot answer that, you will know the answer but might not want to face up to it.... your GP will make an objective decision on the evidence that he sees, although a simple liver function test on its own is unlikely to amount to firm evidence of alcohol misuse - it will just be a pointer.

Thanks Mr Price for your advice.
I therefore asume that I can visit my doctors for a general health check
and blood test without worrying over loosing my driving licence.

Best regards,

Jim.

That would be OK for a health check, but what will you say when the doctor asks why you want a blood test....?
The only one that is relevant to the DVLA medical is a CDT test. Many doctors have not heard of it, those that have will realise that it is a specific test for alcohol dependency and will question you about why you feel you need it. That is where things get said by you and recorded on your notes.
I have an annual check up for high blood pressure and another for asthma. Neither involve blood tests.

Thanks for your reply Mr Price.

I guess my worries are based upon the fact that I haven't had any need to visit
my GP for over 30 years.
Recently I had a letter from my GP inviting me to attent for a general health check
that would involve a blood test.
I declined the invitation due to fear of loosing my licence due to possible abnormal liver function
from alcohol consumption.
Sorry if I confused you on the blood test issue.
Any abnormal liver function due to alcolol consumption doesn't prove I am a risky driver.
Around 10 years ago a neighbour was diagnosed with liver cancer and died only a few weeks
after his diagnosis. He kept his driving licence until the day he died.
Therefore the DVLA seem to think that an impaired liver function due to alcohol has a much more
serious impact on driving standards than terminal liver cancer.

Jim.

Thanks for your reply Mr Price.

I guess my worries are based upon the fact that I haven't had any need to visit
my GP for over 30 years.
Recently I had a letter from my GP inviting me to attent for a general health check
that would involve a blood test.
I declined the invitation due to fear of loosing my licence due to possible abnormal liver function
from alcohol consumption.
Sorry if I confused you on the blood test issue.
Any abnormal liver function due to alcolol consumption doesn't prove I am a risky driver.
Around 10 years ago a neighbour was diagnosed with liver cancer and died only a few weeks
after his diagnosis. He kept his driving licence until the day he died.
Therefore the DVLA seem to think that an impaired liver function due to alcohol has a much more
serious impact on driving standards than terminal liver cancer.

Jim.
I know sometimes it is better to be economical with the truth. My liver function test was really bad at one point (GGT was >1500), then I managed to stop drinking completely as I was killing myself, I am lucky to be alive. Anyway, a few months later, there was a 'love your liver' campaign or something, where you could go and have a free check up with the Liver Trust people. I decided to go to see if things had improved, and they checked the stiffness of my liver with an ultrasound machine, and it came out really high. They gave me a note to give to my doctor for another LF test, and also wanted me to be put on the monitoring system. I also mentioned I was going to apply for my licence, and this seemed to ring alarm bells with him, and said something like it would have to be taken into consideration. Anyway, I was a few months off the booze, so I didn't want to jeopardise things by highlighting this, as I was desperate to get my licence back. I still haven't mentioned this to my GP.
Anyway, I had another LF test after 12 months sober, which came back OK, (GGT was 78), but I was panicking about the DVLA medical - I knew the CDT test was likely to be OK, but I also knew they examined my liver as well. At the medical they asked me if anyone had told me in the past about the liver stiffening, and I said something like I couldn't remember. I passed OK, and have been driving for a couple of months (on a 1 year licence).
Sorry for the long story, but my point is I am as well as I can be at 54, and if my liver is still damaged to some extent from the past, so be it. There must be thousands of drivers out there with livers that have seen better days, but are not a risk through drinking and driving.
Anyway, good luck

Peter

All I want to say is Jim, look after yourself and your health. You don't want to get poorly or end up like us.

Sorry Jim, Convicted of driving over the legal limit whatever circumstances on the day or the day following, matters not.

Ally, I don't drink and drive. I drink several cans of larger in the evening.
I start drinking around 5pm and finish around 10pm.
I don't drive until 4pm the next day so I am always well under the limit or at zero alcohol when I drive.
Sadly I have learnt that resulting from a routine madical exam and blood test I can loose my driving licence
for suspected drink driving even though I never drink and drive.
The law implies that impaired liver function when you are completely sober makes you equally dangerous on the
roads as someone driving with a blood alcohol level over the limit.
That makes no sense to me.

what I mean is being honest and admitting you have a problem or have made a mistake saying that I doubt that will come from you. How one person can know so many friends that have been in so many DD situations is beyond me. You need to get out more find a hobby walk a dog occupy your time....get help, seeking attention from a DD forum has to be the lowest of the low surely you can make friends another way?

Hi ally,

I don't know what you mean by "end up like us".
buddy ally is acting to much she is always going on about crap... she lost her driving licence like most of us here.. to my veiw she just wants attention but im sure your fine.. i dont think you should be worrying about your licence i think your more worried they are going to find a problem with your health... i wish you the best mate. but dont worry get to the doctors.

what I mean is being honest and admitting you have a problem or have made a mistake saying that I doubt that will come from you. How one person can know so many friends that have been in so many DD situations is beyond me. You need to get out more find a hobby walk a dog occupy your time....get help, seeking attention from a DD forum has to be the lowest of the low surely you can make friends another way?
ally i dont wish to be nasty but please please stop all the self pitty... we get it you cocked up most of us have.. but **** there is worst things in life then drink driving.. im not being funny but every post i have seen from you has been moaning.. get on with life man i completely understand you been banned so have i. everyone here knows what its all about but i think you are just a depressive person...

ally i dont wish to be nasty but please please stop all the self pitty... we get it you cocked up most of us have.. but **** there is worst things in life then drink driving.. im not being funny but every post i have seen from you has been moaning.. get on with life man i completely understand you been banned so have i. everyone here knows what its all about but i think you are just a depressive person...
Your opinion and you are entitled to it, as for a depressive person I'm far from it I've made the best out of a rubbish time is that so bad?

Your opinion and you are entitled to it, as for a depressive person I'm far from it I've made the best out of a rubbish time is that so bad?
to me you just moan about how bad and how hard it is... its done its over.. stop moaning... there is sod all you can do and you come off very depressing in your posts sorry.. you say it has changed.. you and learnt your lesson and you are never doing it again.. i have said thease things to but how do you know how likely you are to offend again you just dont know.. if you done it once like many of us your likely to do it again... i done my drink driving course and honestly it aint going to stop people offending again... 100% of the people including you done it to get it back quicker not to learn about how bad a offence it is.. lets face it if you say you did it solely to teach you a lesson you are a liar.. im sorry

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off