When are penalty points added to licence?

Convicted Driver Insurance

walter

Hi all, first post.
I was convicted under driving codes AC10 and DR30 in August 2014 given a substantial fine, banned for 15 months and placed on the high risk offender list.
The Judge offered me the rehabilitation course which will need to be taken before June 2015 if my ban is to be reduced to August 2015.
Having spent five months of the ban I decided to look into the amount of penalty points incurred as they have not been made known to me at any stage.
Went onto the DVLA website to access my Licence details where the codes for the offences & fines are all there to read, though it states `Currently 0` Penalty Points` so my question is When do they actually let you know how many Penalty Points are going onto your Licence?

For a drink driving offence (whatever that may be) you can only receive a disqualification OR points, so as you were disqualified you wont be getting any.

Furthermore, for a DR30 offence it will always be a ban rather than points.

EDIT - Just realised you have the AC10 too! Did they actually give you points in Court or are you assuming they did?

Last edited:
Hi
There were no points given in court, on viewing my licence on the DVLA website yesterday, 5 months after being sentenced the fines for both offences are there to be read along with details of the ban with 0 penalty points currently showing.
Thought points were automatic for drink driving offences which left me wondering if they would be added when applying for my licence later this year.

Walter,
Ukboxer is correct, there are no points for drink driving, (unless special reasons are found to not disqualify, in certain defined cases)....just a ban which shows as a DR10 on your licence, together with the length of the ban (the reduced length if you do a DDRS course)
For an AC10 (failing to stop after an RTA), if you were convicted of that offence, then points HAVE to be added, in the range of 5-10 points. The magistrates would have told you in court how many. If they had forgotten, I am sure the Legal Advisor would have reminded them - it is on their 'idiot card' as a reminder for the offence and the guide says obligatory points, NOT discretional.

Hi

Any idea when the points will be added to my licence or should I make enquires as there seems to be something amiss here?
As stated previously nothing was mentioned in court about penalty points, Iv`e heard nothing about them in the interim either which is why I was asking as I dont fancy being near 12 pts & pushed over by a minor offence then facing another 6 months ban, I`ll stick to the bus if that`s the case.
Says categorically on my licence details on DVLA website for the AC10 offence `0` Penalty Points the fine is the only thing mentioned for that conviction code.
For the DR30 code it states the fine and the length of ban does`nt even mention penalty points.

Walter,
Mea Culpa, I have realised why you have not got any points......
I was right about there being no points for drink driving, and I was right about an AC10 carrying 5-10 points...... BUT, what I forgot is that when a ban is imposed, the other offences are not awarded any points. You therefore will NOT get points for the AC10.
I will put it down to the 'man flu' I am suffering from........

Hi
Thanks for your help and advice.
It would`nt have made sense to fork out for a course, medical, licence, car insurance and new car with high penalty points on my licence.
Id a blemish free driving record since passing my test 24 yrs ago though Id be wary of the law of sod kicking in somewhere down the line.
The plan is to try get through this one step at a time, will keep you informed, no doubt there will be more questions down the line, thanks again!

Hi
Is there anywhere you can do a dummy run on insurance quotes?
Wont be able to get licence back till August 2015 at the earliest if enrolling on the rehab course but would like to have an idea what the insurance costs could be before committing to the whole procedure
The AC10 & DR30 convictions are obviously going to send any prospective quotes through the roof, Id just like a ball park figure.
Had protected no claims with my last insurance provider though that policy was cancelled by them after the accident, not sure if my protected no claims will stand with the drink driving charge and a claim involved?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off