Road Traffic Act 1988 "Driving while awaiting for DVLA medical results"...

Convicted Driver Insurance

JamesDrinkDrives

Hello there,

This forum really helped me out when i first got my ban 3 yrs ago! Had to open a new account since lost details of it...

In now have 5 Weeks to go...(ban expires on midnight of 7th March 2015).

Am i correct in thinking that I CAN drive on the day my ban is spent BEFORE even having my appointment with a GP for the medical?...

I think they give you 21 days to make the appointment....

I have spoken to the DVLA Medical Group who say my application is registered etc and in process but I expect it will be at least 2 weeks before i get a letter asking me to make an appointment with the GP, so keen on knowing if I will be able to drive regardless of this on the 8th of March...?

Thank you guys!

Re: Road Traffic Act 1988 "Driving while awaiting for DVLA medical results"...

Hello there,

This forum really helped me out when i first got my ban 3 yrs ago! Had to open a new account since lost details of it...

In now have 5 Weeks to go...(ban expires on midnight of 7th March 2015).

Am i correct in thinking that I CAN drive on the day my ban is spent BEFORE even having my appointment with a GP for the medical?...

I think they give you 21 days to make the appointment....

I have spoken to the DVLA Medical Group who say my application is registered etc and in process but I expect it will be at least 2 weeks before i get a letter asking me to make an appointment with the GP, so keen on knowing if I will be able to drive regardless of this on the 8th of March...?

Thank you guys!

As you were disqualified before the 1st June 2013 and the DVLA has received and registered your driving licence application, you may be able to legally drive under section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988 upon expiration of your disqualification and before you have satisfied the DVLA of your fitness to drive by taking a DVLA medical.

You should contact the DVLA in order to ascertain your legal entitlement to drive while awaiting your DVLA medical under section 88 of the RTA 1988 and ask them to send you written clarification so you have a document to prove you are legally entitled to drive and something to show insurers and the police if need be.

I agree with the moderator, get it in writing from DVLA. In view of a post on another thread at the moment, I would add that you should also have the support from your doctor, as you have to indicate that he / she sees no reason why you should not drive.

Thank you both very much for the reply. Honestly i think ill just leave it until i get my pink bit of plastic - can't risk any complications and really don't want to be standing by the roadside explaining, clutching a piece of paper - them calling through and checking everything. Ill just wait until i have it in my hands. :)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off