Getting Licence Back in NI

Convicted Driver Insurance

Gutted123NI

Just thought id write this up for anybody looking to know about getting their licence back in Northern Ireland..

Basically I was banned for 12 months April 2014, with the course that ban ended 16 Jan 2015. I sent off my new app form 13 Jan and although im still waiting on my actual licence, on the 22 Jan I was able to book my Theroy Test for 31 Jan.. If im able to pass it on Saturday, by Monday im hoping to be able to book my driving test, throw in a couple of lessons with an instructor and hopefully will be back on the road by the latest end of Feb..

Well Andy, long time no speak. Lol passed my theory 48 in the questions and 62 in the hazard. You just need to study and there's no reason anyone should fail.. Driving test booked for march.. Soonest date I could get. Dreading it if I'm honest. Lessons going alright it's just nerves on the day Andy. Hope your still loving driving.

Hey Gutted - great news about the Theory test and you will be fine on the Driving Test.

Just get as much driving in as you can and listen to what the instructor tells you and try to forget the bad habits you picked up previous to the ban. Nerves will obviously be there on the day but you know you can drive so as Chris told me 'keep you eyes on the prize' and try to relax.

Am sure your relieved getting the license back again and just get the driving test out of the way and hopefully after that move on and put it all behind you.

Its hard to believe its near a year since your ban and it is a year, last Friday when I had my medical.

Been driving from May 2014 and still feel so relieved it is all over and love driving again - am no longer a 'bus ****er' - ha ha.

Good Luck for the test in March.

Cheers Andy..

I think the thing that will prevent me from passing the driving test is the nerves. I know I can drive but the nerves on the day will make me, make stupid mistakes. The using the mirrors in the correct order thing gets me all the time.. Also heard a few horror stories about examiners just failing people for the sake of it because they are drink drivers, but my instructor has said this is a load of balls. He also said a very high percentage of DD's past their test first time, so I dont know if that gives me more confidence or stress lol.

Heres hoping I pass first time. If not all I can do is rebook and try again.. :)

My Insurance shot up from £345 to £1200 though which is a bit of a kick in the teeth lol

Hi Gutted. I was the same the day of the Test but assume everyone is but once you get into it you will be fine. I assume its Craig**on you are doing the test so you should be aware of the roads and speed limits in the area. Being nervous is good as it will make you concentrate more rather than being too cocky and assume its a done deal.

I took Kalms for a few days before and the day of the Test, couldn't confirm if they helped. I also watched videos on YouTube on doing the manouveres, I just couldn't get the hang of the corner reverse and the parallel park but the videos certainly helped. I mean I could do them but it was doing them to how the instructor was trying to show was difficult. Just try to remember what the instructor has taught you - don't park to close to the car in front, both hands on the steering wheel, eco driving of stopping while in gear etc.....

My examiner was fine, chatted away to me at times and felt at ease during the test, any errors I felt I had made I said, for example I drove through the lights when they had just turned amber and admitted I should have stopped and times I forgot to indicate or sat with my foot on the brake when I should have used the handbrake but as long as the examiner is aware you are a competent driver you should be fine. I passed with 5 minors and was satisfied with that. I really did assume I had failed when I thought about my test and the small errors that I wasn't marked down on.

Yeah Andy, I guess I just have to try and see what happens.. I have a couple more lessons then its the test.. Going to spend a few hours watching the videos on YouTube as well, cheers.

Il be back on and post my result. Maybe il be some help to other people having to go through it..

Andy.... Im Gutted by name and Gutted by Nature.. Still!

I failed my test.. Nightmare.. It was just one stupid mistake that ruined it for me but I have it booked for again. I got 6 minors and one major, the major was when I was coming to traffic lights they were green, the car in front took that long to turn right I was left parked slightly on the pedestrian crossing.. So I stupidly decided to clear the junction and got the major.. Im not blaming the car in front by the way, as soon as I went to drive I said to the examiner I shouldn't have done that. So I spent the rest of my test knowing I had failed.. When we got back to the test centre the examiner turned and said I think you know you have failed - She also added other than that stupid mistake it was a really good drive..

Booked for another couple of weeks but going to do it on a week day so theres not as much traffic as a Saturday at 12.30..

Passed my test.. 4 minors.. I'm buzzing.. Chin up everyone going through a ban, you'll get there in the end.

congrats Gutted123NI

I am sure being back on the road is feeling great. :D

Can I ask you how did you book your theory while waiting on your provisional? [did you simply use your old driver number to book?]

How many lessons did you do?

Still a while of my ban being up [August 13th] and completing the DD course at the moment which isn't as bad as I feared.

Congrats again and I am sure you will not make the same mistake again.

Hey Gutted - congratulations on passing.

Very pleased for you, am sure you were annoyed at the first try but as you say it wasnt your fault and couldnt have anticipated the outcome but well pleased you got it again.

The main priority is you are now legal on the road again and all the best for the future.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off